Capri Power Forum: New Girl On The V8 Block - Capri Power Forum

Icon Sponsors

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

Welcome to Capri Power Forum

Welcome to Capri Power Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Girl On The V8 Block

#1 User is offline   justagirlwithadream 

• Group: Members
  • LocationEssex
  • Drives:Toyota MR2

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:58 AM

Hey everyone! I'm not even sure if I have set this up right, let alone if I am even posting to the right area so bear with haha!! Anyway, my name is Miriam!

Posted Image

Essentially, if you haven't gathered from the first two lines, I am totally over my head and I have no idea about cars. BUT... I found an old photograph of my dad just a couple of years after my parents had gotten married and he was standing outside the car he had just bought, which just so happened to be a white Capri. Yep that is as far as my knowledge goes, "a white Capri" - although I can read the word Laser on the side, which after a few nights chatting to a few of you guys and a bit more research, I will hopefully know what that means!

Posted Image

Basically, my husband has tinkered with all of his cars (and even owned a black Capri for a while, plus the white one that I am now trying to take ownership of!) It's a long story but it involves having to move, needing more money than we could get our hands on at the time, realising that the black Capri was way too rusted for us to be able to fix without serious cost, and total disappointment, ending with us both avoiding the inevitable discussion of having to sell one or both.

Anyway, the long and short is that we have sold the black Capri and I have persuaded my husband to let me start the project again, this time with me spearheading it and looking after all the budgets, etc to try and actually get somewhere this time. Prizes all round for anyone who is still reading this by the way! So, this is my Capri:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yeah. This is gonna be a long ride!! But one that I am so looking forward to starting, and I know she is going to be an absolute stunner if we can get this girl finished. I heard that joining forums is a good way to hear advice and get good encouragement to keep going, especially when things get tough going - so I am really hoping I might get to know some other people online. Please introduce yourselves, I will be starting a project thread with loads more photographs and no doubt horror stories to impress you all, as I go from a girl who has her nails and hair done every two weeks, to an overall wearing, greasy hand gas monkey chick :-)

PS I think my husband used to have a thread on here so some of you might start to recognise some of the photos as we get going :-)

PPS Are they many other girls on here? Would love to hear from you! Especially as I went to see Beauty and the Beast tonight and I have no one to share the love with haha!!

#2 User is offline   Crash & Burn 

• Swivelhead, ret.
  • Group: Gold Member Team
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Drives:'77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:42 AM

Hi, very well done for a first post! You got pics in and everything! I hope you have some of the parts missing from that shell, but I just finished one that was in comparable condition when I got it. It took a few years, but that could have been quickened a lot. (I had to go get my hair done. :lol: ) I think there's at least one lady member of the local Capri group in Essex, along with some experienced and knowing members, and others in other areas. Some of our members are married to women as well ! Is that barn gonna be your workspace? You'll want to get the shell inside when you can, and if you can get it blasted (before going in) it will be well worth it. Some parts are easier to come by than others, so look early for the hard-to-get items. There is a lot to be learned by reviewing others' build threads, too. You can always ask anything here, plenty of good advice and references available to put that baby back on the road. But right from the start, I like (well, not really sure about Beauty and the Beast) the way you think. :thumbup1:

#3 User is offline   Paul Finney 

• Paul Finney
  • LocationManea. Cambs
  • Drives:2.9 Mk 3 Capri. 2.8 Mk 3 Capri

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:19 AM

Hello, you have met Gary, crash and burn, he is the beast, whereas I am the beauty! I have a shell in the same condition as yours, with a Rover V8 to go in it, when I get it built. The most important thing is to make sure you have all the parts you need to complete your build. We have some very good traders on here, and its not flea bay prices, mobile welders and a very skilled chap up in Orkney, Trev, who can fabricate any repair panels you may need. As Gary said get her under cover and cleaned off. If there is substantial welding to be done underneath it may pay to but a roll over jig, makes the job so much easier, you can sell it on when you are done with it. Feel free to ask as many questions as you want, some bright sparks on here. Finn.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Paulg 

• LocationHigh Wycombe
  • Drives:Capri 3.0S, Capri 1.6 laser, Fiesta MK2 1.1,Octavia VRS,

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:03 AM

Welcome to the forum Mirium. As the others have said it's all do-able but get the shell in the dry as soon as you can. Did you and your husband strip the car or do you just have the shell and need all other parts?

I would advise that you learn to mig weld as getting that done can be the most expensive bit of restoring a car and worry mostly about getting the body done properly as getting that good is the most important bit followed by the interior. Mechanical bits are still relatively easy to get. It's the silly little bits like clips, screws, sunroof winder handles etc that can mount up in cost.

The other thing I would say is it's not a race to rebuild the car, take your time, be careful and if you get peed off with it - as you will from time to time - just walk away, have a drink and a night's sleep and go back to it.

BTW a Laser is the last model of 4 cylinder (1.6 or 2.0) that was made - from June 1984 until Capri production stopped in late 1986. They also made the 6 cylinder 2.8i special and a limited edition called the 280 (Brooklands) both of which are mega - bucks now in good condition.

#5 User is offline   stu 

• LocationScotland
  • Drives:1987 mk3 laser, 2008 mk2.5 focus st-3

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

xpack with flared arches dont think ive seen that before need to get some nice deep dish alloys sorted out :thumbup1:

also spied the modded slam panel with rad supports cut out i did this on mine to fit a cosworth rad frees up a lot of space in the engine bay.

look forward to seeing this build progress

stu

#6 User is offline   robt100 

• LocationNorfolk
  • Drives:Steadspeed special (soon)

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:29 PM

Welcome to the Forum, you'll find plenty of people to help out here Posted Image

View Postjustagirlwithadream, on 18 March 2017 - 12:58 AM, said:

PS I think my husband used to have a thread on here so some of you might start to recognise some of the photos as we get going :-)

Yup, I remember! How did the seat re-covering go??

PS: I should really say welcome again, there's a post from yourself under the name 'motor mim' in your husbands thread Posted Image, but its a new start, so a new name is a good idea Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   justagirlwithadream 

• LocationEssex
  • Drives:Toyota MR2

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:21 AM

Ah I am so pleased that my post was read and even more pleased to see replies!!

Is that barn gonna be your workspace? You'll want to get the shell inside when you can, and if you can get it blasted (before going in) it will be well worth it.

Yes, the barn needs a BIG clear out though, it has become a storage area for all things great and small, but all essentially toot haha! We will be sorting out a weekend in April (most likely a bank holiday so all the rest of the family get the joy of helping too!) to clear it all, get it all cleaned and ready. I know that she was shotblasted two years ago max and my husband says that the rot you can see at the moment is surface rust only. A quick google on that phrase gives me some hope that looks can be deceiving and that hopefully a good rub down is all that she needs - no pun intended ;)/>

Hello, you have met Gary, crash and burn, he is the beast, whereas I am the beauty! I have a shell in the same condition as yours, with a Rover V8 to go in it, when I get it built.... Feel free to ask as many questions as you want, some bright sparks on here. Finn.

Thank you Finn, I likeee the way you played the Beauty and the Beast haha! It is good to know that there are other people with similar shells, plus with the same V8 idea - you will probably be getting lots of questions so sorry in advance!! Do you have a thread yourself with photos as you go along? That's my next plan to get this project really going :-)

Did you and your husband strip the car or do you just have the shell and need all other parts? I would advise that you learn to mig weld as getting that done can be the most expensive bit of restoring a car and worry mostly about getting the body done properly as getting that good is the most important bit followed by the interior.

BTW a Laser is the last model of 4 cylinder (1.6 or 2.0) that was made - from June 1984 until Capri production stopped in late 1986. They also made the 6 cylinder 2.8i special and a limited edition called the 280 (Brooklands) both of which are mega - bucks now in good condition.

The white shell came with a fibreglass boot lid and bonnet, these fitted inside the barn so don't appear in the photos. We also had a black Capri which we have stripped and got a lot of bits from before we sold it on. However there will definitely be lots of smaller bits to buy, hopefully my new budget should allow for saving while we get the exterior good and sound...

Also, thank you for the Laser information! I asked my dad and he said he had the 1.6 as far as he could remember, but that it wasn't very practical for a family with two small children and two prams! Having done a bit more research I'm thinking that impractical cars must run in the family as I currently drive a two seater Toyota MR2... not the greatest housewife car!!

xpack with flared arches dont think ive seen that before need to get some nice deep dish alloys sorted out

Well this I must admit went over my head... however when I told my husband he was really impressed and very happy so excellent haha! I will be starting a new project thread with plenty of photographs to bore you all so keep an eye out!

Yup, I remember! How did the seat re-covering go??

PS: I should really say welcome again, there's a post from yourself under the name 'motor mim' in your husbands thread Posted Image, but its a new start, so a new name is a good idea Posted Image

This made me so happy!! I am so pleased that a project thread with very little progress was still rememebered!! Yes, I knew I had made an account before, I tried looking for it but as the air-head that I am, I couldn't remember any log in details, let alone how to find the thread!! And at the moment my husband doesn't know I have started this as I wanted to impress him once I had got the hang of everything :-)

As for the seat covering... everything went into storage and I started a new job and it kinda got left by the wayside... BUT! I really really want to actually get this finished, even if it is just to save a bit of dignity after plastering it all over here haha!! So keep posted for more updates!!

Have a lovely evening guys, I am hoping to go over to the Capris this week sometime to get more photographs as I have a few questions about the roof and ceiling bit of the car as my shell looks different to how I think it should look?

Thank you again for all being so lovely despite my very limited Capri knowledge!

#8 User is offline   Paul Finney 

• Paul Finney
  • LocationManea. Cambs
  • Drives:2.9 Mk 3 Capri. 2.8 Mk 3 Capri

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:49 AM

I have 5 Capris in all, so the shell is next but one to go on the roll over jigs. As I am well retired it does give me the time to play with all my toys. I have a build thread in here about A666, might be worth digging that out so you can see the jigs in action should you need to go that way. Stuballs V8 thread is a must for you as well, same jigs as they are mine, but a monster V8 build as well. Finn.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

All messages made available as part of this discussion group (including any bulletin boards and chat rooms) and any opinions, advice, statements or other information contained in any messages posted or transmitted by any third party are the responsibility of the author of that message and not of Capri Power(unless Capri Power is specifically identified as the author of the message). The fact that a particular message is posted on or transmitted using this Capri Power forum does not mean that Capri Power has endorsed that message in any way or verified the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. We encourage visitors to the forum to report any objectionable message to mail@capripower.co.uk. This forum is not monitored 24/7.