Capri Power Forum: The Book You Always Promised Yourself? - Capri Power Forum

Icon Sponsors

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

Welcome to Capri Power Forum

Welcome to Capri Power Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Book You Always Promised Yourself? Book

#1 User is offline   Ssaxty 

• Group: Members
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:23 PM

I wanted to let you know a little more about the new book I’m writing, it’s called “The Ford You Always Promised Yourself”. Forty years of design, engineering and marketing – plus the cars that followed. I wrote a book on the Capri Mark III a mere 22 years ago, but that was a soft-cover, self -published affair, while this one is going to be full-colour and at least three times as big

I grew up in the seventies in Essex. My interest in cars, specifically Fords, began when my mum pointed out a pair of Fiats driving by, fitted with heavily disguised front ends. These were the very first “Bobcat” (Fiesta) prototype mules and, from that moment on I was hooked. I had one goal, to work at nearby Dunton. As a Product Designer at Ford in the eighties, I indulged myself looking at prototypes every day, driving as many RS, Capris and Fast Fords as I could. I was to own several Capris, including the rare Aston Martin Tickford Capri and later covered many miles in modified Sierra Cosworths.

I left Ford to join Mazda, then part-owned by Ford, and subsequently Porsche. I later moved into management consulting and then into marketing in the nineties. In 1996. I wrote a soft-cover, privately published book on the Capri Mark III, but I knew I had another book inside me to write one day, with a bigger story to tell. Since then, I’ve had to wait while doing many other things, 20 years in fact!

This new book spans four decades of change as Ford had to adapt to a world where it had started as market leader in the 70s and entered the 2000s in a world that was so dramatically different. Along the way we look at every sporting Ford, telling the tale through its coupes, the cars that were the most international and upmarket in Ford of Europe’s range. We look at Products, Prototypes, People and their Politics across each of the decades. With Ford’s willing access for the first time, we uncover the design sketches and prototypes that have been hidden until now, it’s a detective story that spans four decades. Starting with the sixties, we pass through the Capri years of the seventies and mid-eighties.

We dwell extensively on the Sierra and the insiders tell the background freefall experience of that car and what led to the Cosworth. We then move to the nineties and the troubled birth of the Probe and the soaring success of Puma and the opportunity of Cougar. We end this journey with S272, the untold story of the 2003 attempt to bring back the Capri, perhaps fittingly the car we started with. Along the way there are hundreds of photos, most never seen before and dozens of tales to be told thanks to Ford’s enthusiastic help in giving me access to their design archives and the people that designed, engineered and marketed them.

You can visit the book’s website at https://www.stevesaxty.com to read more about it, or click on the image above. There you can sign up to read free samples from the book and stay in touch by email to get pre-ordering details and see some of the images before they go to press.

It is the book I always promised to write.

I hope you will enjoy reading it too.

Steve

#2 User is offline   trevster 

• trevster
  • Locationsalisbury
  • Drives:mk 2 3.0 ghia

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:19 PM

looking forward to reading this!

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   kez60 

• LocationBrisbane Australia
  • Drives:84 Injection Special (what else?)

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:48 AM

Steve,
Any ETA on release of the book?
Thanks,
Kez

#4 User is offline   Ssaxty 

• LocationNew York

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:58 PM

View Postkez60, on 10 January 2018 - 10:48 AM, said:

Steve,
Any ETA on release of the book?
Thanks,
Kez

#5 User is offline   Ssaxty 

• LocationNew York

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:59 PM

I should wrap up the writing end of Feb and then it will take a month to do layouts and print.

#6 User is offline   Pas 

• Locationsurrey
  • Drives:2.8injectionSpecial, golf gti mk2

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:09 PM

Hi, I enjoyed reading your mk3 book, also the recent book on Ford design you mentioned, and now really looking forward to your new book.

Just wondered if you will be covering a 3.0 mk2 x pack HPU 944N please ; I’m not sure if it was also an RS prototype of some sort...?

I have only seen this photo of it;

http://www.bing.com/...lectedIndex=346

Many thanks and all the best with your new book

Pas.

#7 User is offline   Ssaxty 

• LocationNew York

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:55 AM

Oh yes, that's in the book so well spotted! I'm greatly looking forward to finishing the book, and then will be heartbroken that it is done and have to wait another 22 years. X-pack and the post-RS2800 is actually up on the book's site here to read for free actually... https://www.stevesax...ordbook-samples (you just need to sign up with your email address)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

All messages made available as part of this discussion group (including any bulletin boards and chat rooms) and any opinions, advice, statements or other information contained in any messages posted or transmitted by any third party are the responsibility of the author of that message and not of Capri Power(unless Capri Power is specifically identified as the author of the message). The fact that a particular message is posted on or transmitted using this Capri Power forum does not mean that Capri Power has endorsed that message in any way or verified the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. We encourage visitors to the forum to report any objectionable message to mail@capripower.co.uk. This forum is not monitored 24/7.