1974 Mkii 2.0 Turbo Capri

Discussion in 'Members Capris' started by therealpinto, 25 October 2012.

1. therealpinto

therealpinto Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri turbo
    Actually I couldn't find good shots of mine, will need to sort that. But I googled and found one;

[​IMG]
    Gustaf

caprinerd and Clockwork Orange like this.
  2. therealpinto

Drives:
    Capri turbo
    In April it was finally possible to get some engine machine work done. We took 1.6 mm off the block so the pistons are very close to being flush to the deck surface. This should give 9:1 or thereabouts (50 cc combustion chambers, small valve pockets in the pistons). Not very high for E85 but a decent start and the head can be skimmed later on.

Getting the machine work done took some time but I also built the wiring harness for the MaxxEcu. Startup was during the first week of May, and the inital feeling was a happier sounding engine that felt a bit stronger off boost.

[​IMG]

With so much new stuff going on I concentrated on just getting it running on both gasoline and E85 and then let Mattias do the rest on the dyno. But before going there I put it on the scales again.

[​IMG]
    This is with no driver and 20 liters of E85 in the tank. It's not a lightweight...

We started tuning on E85 and Mattias soon reported that it was a lot better than before. Before doing the final tuning we decreased some plug gaps and then settled on a good "street tune" at 1.2 bar of boost. That showed 319 whp and 409 Nm but more importantly 50 Nm more all the way from 2500 rpm to just before 4000 rpm where the new and old figures meet. Now the engine keeps increasing power from 5000 rpm towards 7000.

[​IMG]
    Then we started tuning for gasoline and got 306 whp and 382 Nm before an oil leak stopped the day. But we were pretty much done. The leak was from the cover for the dizzy drive shaft, it had loosened and even spit out one of the screws. Never had that happen before but now the bolts are locktited and I hope they will stay.

The process of getting the car registrered again with all this is ongoing so I have only made a very short, unofficial road test. It feels pretty nice but I really need to get it on track to get a good feel for what its like.

Gustaf

KetsMcLets and daveman918 like this.
  3. SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA

SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK3 STRATOS SILVER 3.0 GHIA
    That's impressive, worth all the hard work.

4. KetsMcLets

KetsMcLets Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Ford Capri 2.9 Cosworth, Nissan Sil80 RB25DET, Oldsmobile Delta 88 royale 455cui, Ducati 748, Triumph Rocket III, Capri MK1,5 1600GT, Dnepr K650 sidecar
    WOW that's some good work Gustaf!! Is it hard to get al those things registered in sweden?

5. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
  6. therealpinto

Drives:
    Capri turbo
    This Monday I had the formal registration inspection and there were no real issues. Some brake line fixings I had forgot to put back (to make sure the front brake hoses won't catch on the struts) but otherwise no remarks.

So, I know have a Capri registered with 235 kW or 319 bhp, quite nice.

It also needs the standard "MOT" and due to a misunderstanding the time I had for that on Monday was double booked. So that will happen next week...too bad since the weather is now shaping up but on the other hand, I need time to get the endurance racing car into shape.

Gustaf

7. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    nice numbers Mr Pinto

8. therealpinto

Drives:
    Capri turbo
    With the summer being warm, the purchase of a 2.9 Sierra that will be my daughters "first car" and then loaning another 2.9 Sierra for her to practice drifting with, the Capri has mostly been sitting. A shame really with all this performance.

But last Tuesday stars aligned a bit and I took it to drifting practice - with a Sierra occupying the trailer I drove it there. Happy about that, it's really a nice driving road there and now this thing is actually rather nice to drive. Yes, it is firm, noisy and still tramlines a bit but it does speak to me.

For those following the thread, I might have mentioned that drifting practice is on a rallycross track, with a rather evil sand trap that I have visited twice. There are also some banks to look out for and this time a pothole (that took out one S14 and one E46 earlier) was marked with plastic barrels. Needless to say, I didn't plan to drive it at 100% but rather play it a bit safe, to hopefully be able to drive a complete car back home.

Since we only were three cars running this night I had all the time I wanted to start out slow and get a feel for the car with the new engine. It was immediately apparent that this setup is a lot easier to drive. I basically took one turn at a time and by the end of the night I could almost link it all into one drift. Almost, there are places where I just don't want to risk too much. But now I do feel I can keep practising without having to overdo it. The broader power band means it is way easier to drive slowly.

Funny, that you use another 20-50 bhp or so to be able to go slower :)

Towards the end of the night the trusty Pinto reminded me that it was time to re-set the valve clearances after running for some time so I packed up and drove home. With a smile :)

Gustaf

Crash & Burn likes this.
  9. therealpinto

Drives:
    Capri turbo
    BasMange took some video clips too: