2nd Coming - John's 2.8i Special

Discussion in 'Members Capris' started by barnfind, 3 January 2019.

1. barnfind

barnfind Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.8i Special
    Further to my intro in new members . . .

Work on getting the Capri roadworthy for 2019 continues >

[​IMG]

First job was to understand why it ran so bad. Thanks to some forum research, and on closer inspection the fuel system was gummed up. Cold running with bad fuel led to carbon build up on the valves preventing any form of good running. I knew the radiator cap was overflowing too and it was soon clear when flushing, that previously running up on bad fluids had pulled up silt from the engine and blocked the expansion tank bleeds. I’d already noticed that the fuel dizzy plunger was seized solid and that the screens in the WUR blocked, so it was time to re-commission ‘hector the injector’ properly. Time to pull the motor out >

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whilst under the car i had to take a view on its originality, the axle had some surface rust and so did the tank, the floor/chassis had never rusted but at the same time wasn’t protected, so we took the view to save it. We like using our cars too so i dont mind some sensible mods. I’m not after a show car just something i can keep on top of. Anyway enough words as most of us like photos!

Clean up begins, i doubt it had ever been pressure washed underneath >

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most the original underseal/wax wiped off with thinners but i used a light sand blast to further clean >

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Underside epoxy primed and gravitex’d >

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think we finished the new tank better than ford did >

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Accumulator attracted more rust than the whole car did. New bracket fabricated >

[​IMG]

Axle blasted and prepped along with all the roll bars and x-members, yes pin holes in cover and when i tried to weld they grew bigger! >

[​IMG]

Spray on Satin paint, like a modern coach paint used. I just used rustoleum rattle cans in the closest RAL for the springs and struts >

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As waxoil had limited the rust originally I’m applying it again to counteract some of the damp we get in Manchester >

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spare wheel well had some historic water rusting so we blasted it, added a local coat of stonechip and re-sprayed it with a decent body shop mixed aerosol >

[​IMG]

As we make progress I’ll update you

[​IMG]

All for now

John C.

Crash & Burn likes this.
  2. kez60

kez60 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    84 Injection Special (what else?)
    Great work, Looks like a nice solid body.

3. mick

mick Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri 2.8i
    Nice work with the fuel metering head, I keep thinking about doing my spare. are they easy enough to do?

4. barnfind

Drives:
    2.8i Special
    Thanks Gents, yes the metering head was more fiddly than complex, i just had to stop whilst i got some silicone grease to help assemble the centre-pin assembly into the block. The metal oval sleeves have o-rings that go around them and everything needs to slide together rather than stretch the new o-rings. Old Merc's have these Fuel Distributors too so there's videos and info's online to help and get a feel for the task in hand. I ordered the kit from the states via ebay with the new steel gasket.

5. mick

mick Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri 2.8i
    Cool, thanks for the info

6. barnfind

Drives:
    2.8i Special
    Not such a good weekend for progress :( . . . .

I couldn't get any line pressure to bleed the front brakes, the lines weren't blocked, i tried filling the calipers with fluid (desperate at this point but there are lots of u-bends at the wheel end) and i even tried adding some pressure to the reservoir - still no joy. I took the master cylinder off and it seemed to pushing some fluid out but i've now convinced myself it's died having lost pressure for 5 months. I'm going to try a Granada 23.8 one, i guess i'll lose a little line pressure but it should give me a firm pedal. Having owned E30 Bmw's previously, i know they do exactly the same mod (also 22.2 to 23.8).

I then moved to the parcel shelf, my original one had a nasty fibreglass repair to the underside, so i bought a club one to assemble with my bits. I used 12mm long black 1/8 rivets to atttach the seal and stiffener and in my wisdom thought i'd wash the crappy felt/mat inserts. Got my carpet adhesive out and then realised the inserts had bloody shrank at the first sight of water! [​IMG]:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do we have a source or is there a name for the material ?

Onwards and upwards :)

7. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
  8. barnfind

Drives:
    2.8i Special
    Thanks C&B, you have got me thinking as there are 4 chambers, 2 of which should self bleed as the holes are big, however the other 2 compensating ports are tiny - only a pin fits them (first hole on left in the photo below). There is a chance that one was blocked before i took it all apart last night as I did have to clear sludge/debris from the reservoir previously. The seal holding the reservoir at the servo end had gone bad, and the seal to the cap had also gone, giving me the sludge in the reservoir just mentioned. The Compensating port at the servo end was definitely clear as it is a lot easier to see through.

I did undo the brake pipes at the m.cyl end when i ran into `bleeding problems' (and at the inner wings to trace fluid) admittedly i didn't fully bleed as the fluid was running out.
    As each channel does a front brake i'm still curious why i had 2 fail at the same time, i did extensively try to bleed :(.
    Before i re-assemble the new i will pre-bleed as you say, i've got some spare m10 bleed screws i can use - i will report back at the end of the week.

[​IMG]

9. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    I think the bleed screws are a nice way to prevent a mess - When done, you need just to remove them and replace the pipe fitting before the cylinder drains again, which can be messy if you're not careful. I try to cover the spillage area with aluminum foil before doing this, directing fluid to a pan underneath.

10. Lord Flasheart

Lord Flasheart Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Panzer, Jeep, CBR600, 3.0 Ghia
    There was a seller on eBay recently selling carpet inserts, they were new copies but I only recall them in black, cant seem to find a listing but for proper ones give Martin at Capri Gear a shout & any of the other usual traders on here & the Laser forum

11. Lord Flasheart

Lord Flasheart Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Panzer, Jeep, CBR600, 3.0 Ghia
  12. Not_Anumber

Not_Anumber Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1983 2.8i 5 speed. 2x previous Capris.
    That car looks more than roadworthy - its show worthy too.

13. barnfind

Drives:
    2.8i Special
    Thanks for your help and comments, i'll chase the leads on the carpet front - i'm nervous that the club shelves have different sized trays and that pre-cut linings will fit poor. So when i get a minute i want to measure them side by side. I am aware that the sides are different as the 4 rubber feet need shaving to fit.

With the help above i've re-thought the brake issue: With a new m.cylinder i've re-bled the rear the rear chamber at the servo end and at the drums, and all came good. At the front we started at the servo end and noted pressure (whilst bleeding various points) thru' to the calipers. At the calipers i'd made a damned stupid mistake of not checking the depth of the fittings. It turned out that i'd blocked the side ports in the calipers too :eek:
    On a positive note, all the perishables on the brake system are now replaced so we're in a good place going forward.

I should have a bit more time to complete the job next week and get some photos

14. mgentry90

mgentry90 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Never seen one of those accumulators before, I take it it’s fkr the fuel system, which cars need them and what’s its purpose?

15. barnfind

Drives:
    2.8i Special
    The accumulator is std 2.8i, to hold the fuel upto the fuel distributor.

Got the boot back together on Saturday, the old owner told me everything squeeked about so i've put some new neoprene pads in. Had to repaint the washer res'r bracket, so i've added a bit of waxoil. Just found out what the 2 rubber caps were for too - i need to put them on the accumulator screws (i think)
    [​IMG]

New front wing internal splash guards, had to get the tin snips out on the edges, but then i wax-oiled in-place

[​IMG]

There was some surface rust on the headlights parts, so we grit blasted them and chose to do them in 3 coats of cold-galv spray - i think they look ok. I greased the threads so i just need to clean and oil before fitting.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Also rubbed the flakey bits off the lamps and used the old rattle cans to spruce up.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Moving on to the front, there was the start of some rust around the bowls, i made the small hole that had formed into a drain hole, it's a tad big but the h/lamp surrounds covers it up.

I've still some paint to do internally around the rad, so i'll do this before i assemble.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My engine man has been slow so in the mean-time i've refined the inlet and plenum with help from this forum >
    http://www.capripower.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/2-8-v6-inlet-manifold-comparison.42125/

All for now
    John

16. barnfind

Drives:
    2.8i Special
    Sorry for the delay in re-posting, it’s been a while as work and time hasn’t been kind to me!

A quick run down of work in progress > >

free’d off the heater motor and fitted caprigear resistor, also fitted new gaitor

[​IMG]

waxoyled new bumpers (noted from stardust thread)

[​IMG]

brackets blasted up well, with new fixings where req’d

[​IMG]

More cleaning on the engine bay, bleached the bottles and re-enamelled the metering head

[​IMG]

headlights, grille and bumpers back on

[​IMG]

had to wait a while for my engine machinist to, it really needs the boat anchor to weigh it down at the front!

[​IMG]

when the heads came through they were worth the wait, I have unleaded seats, deshrouded chambers, and new guides and some porting

[​IMG]

I could have probably done more on the valves, but I have a back cut to introduce some angles. From this forum I understand the inlet tracts have limited flow so I have limited work on the heads, as they will be held back.

[​IMG]

the heads do look nice, there must be some improvement on its way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pictures are better than words sometimes . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

to be honest I’m not sure what surface finish works best, but let’s see

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after a dummy build, I had to make a jig to remove the gudgeon pin, so I fabbed up a shoe for the engine man and worked quite well.

[​IMG]

I then had the rods shot peened, balanced with the pistons and had the crank dynamically balanced with a machined flywheel.

[​IMG]

I’ve also slung in a sports injection cam kit and lost the fibre timing gear. I wasn’t happy with the front cover (a terrible design imo) so I machined a spigot ring in the lathe to keep it all central whilst you sandwich it all together.

[​IMG]

I’ve stuck with the old type of head bolts, although it grates me to have to re-torque after 15mins . .

[​IMG]

I have a s/s janspeed system but only had mild steel manifolds, so I’ve had camcoat give them a ceramic coating

[​IMG]

stale fuel coated everything in stinky varnish, so I spent hours with the oven cleaner, hot water and the pressure washer, even found the bleed hole in the throttle body (sorry no photo)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Currently on with the WuR rebuild with a kit from k-jet.biz, having started to run checks on fuel delivery, i'll post an update in the engine dept . . .

All for now!
    John

Last edited: 2 May 2020
    Crash & Burn likes this.
  17. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    you spent some time on the cleaning side its good to see its still going on

18. barnfind

Drives:
    2.8i Special
    Update:
    Last week i ran the injection setup off the fuel pump, bridging the relay, with the injectors into 6 bottles before i connected them onto the engine - it filled 6 bottles half-full, fairly evenly so all seemed fine on the injector side, but i did note the air flap was lacking plunger pressure. With the Fuel dizzy separated from the airbox, i had a push and pull on the plunger and it felt spongy.

I then managed to get 2 full days to install the v6, i leveled it up on the engine mounts, and built the ancillary items from the bottom up finishing off with the hoses (too many) and the plenum. Thought i'd have a quick dry run (no coolant) to see if all was ok whilst i could see what was going on. I expected a challenge as i'd had the throttle body, air metering unit, fuel dizzy & WuR all apart and re-assembled.

I followed the ford manual for the ign' dizzy install, noting you need to do this on the compression stroke (i couldn't see it mentioned). To do this i took the most awkward no.1 plug out and used a rubber bung to listen to pressure building.

On the fuel side i primed the fuel system and with my newly rebuilt WuR noted i still had no real plunger pressure onto the metering arm - it didnt seem right.
    I went in the house and became paranoid that the fuel dizzy was bad, but i did read an article that mentions how to crudely set-up a fuel dizzy onto the metering unit. I then realised that the WuR loop could be partially air-locked and may need help with a bleed. I slackened off the WuR unions until fuel leaked and then after a crank, i realised the plunger had lost it's spongy feel.
    I then looked at the plunger pressure against the arm by lifting the flap to gauge free-play. As understand it; free-play =lean and by winding the co screw clockwise you can raise the plunger to richen/add fuel. With a twiddle of the co screw i was confident we could go for fire up.

Surprisingly it ran ! >

[​IMG]

i have a few commitments over the next few weeks but i'll report back when i get onto tuning . . .
    John

PenelopesMaster and 2.8jonny like this.
  19. caprinerd

Drives:
    so nice to see it clean under a bonnet unlike mine at present

barnfind likes this.
  20. barnfind

Drives:
    2.8i Special
    Thanks, it has taken more time cleaning than building . .
    It had a lot of grime on it for the years it had been on the road, but back then we (i) didn't use pressure washers all the time, as our local garages didn't have them.

21. caprinerd

Drives:
    i use to give my bay a heavy polish as it helped to remove the dirt after id driven it

22. barnfind

Drives:
    2.8i Special
    I’ve managed to get through a few tough jobs recently, and crossed a milestone today – so it’s time for an update!

Since getting it running, I’ve had a few commissioning tasks that took me longer than expected:

The damn speedo was on the blink and it took nearly 2 days for me to find out it was probably down to bad manufacturing. When the speedo cable was pushed into the clocks and clipped it, the speedo stopped working whilst the odometer still clocked up the miles. Eventually I traced it to the outer cable and by simply pulling the outer cable out after clipping it in, it brought in some free-play to make it all work again. It drove me mad as I had it all apart!

I’ve also been around the block on the fuel system, I made a stupid mistake by getting the wur pipes the wrong way round on the fuel dizzy. After some head scratching I got myself an ebay pressure guage set, that told me my control pressure was through the roof. I felt a right idiot! But have to remind myself this is only a hobby . .

Blue pipe goes on the RHS >

[​IMG]

Yesterday, I used the fuel pressure gauge set to set-up the control pressures with the adjustable regulator I made. See http://www.capripower.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/2-8-k-jetronic-fuel-curve.37697/page-2 I’ve just used the factory settings at the mo’ but it made a big difference and now the engine has got some bo11ocks under load (Note to self – need to run the engine in)

Other updates before I get to the headlines:

A couple of gratuitous underbody photos whilst spanner checking:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’ve now fitted the Ceramic coated manifolds to the s/s Janspeed. I’m wondering if they are making the heads hold more heat, or do they all burn the paint off through the length of the port?? Just got to fit the metal dizzy surround and suppressors (7 i think??)

[​IMG]

I also managed to get another dash to fit the ESRT again. I’ve fitted a new belt and wired it in a couple of weeks ago. When I switched it on, the cardboard in the rear speakers disintegrated and had to be vacuumed up from the boot floor! - New 4x4” speakers now fitted.

[​IMG]

Which leads me to today . . .

Yes today I chose the wettest day to MOT the car, my mate (the previous owner) told me the last winter this car was used in was 1994. It took me back to the 80’s for sure – 2 speed heater on full blast with the little wipers on full chat. To be fair I enjoyed the drive and made it safely >

[​IMG]

After a lot of checks, and making sure I’d tightened all the bolts up, I had 12 months MOT with no faults to report

[​IMG]

A little later than hoped for, but another Capri on the road
    All for now
    JC

2.8jonny and Crash & Burn like this.
  23. BigJ

BigJ Registered Capri Power Member

Well done. It brings back memories of my build. I hope you get to use it more than I do mine after all your efforts.

24. caprinerd

Drives:
    your car looks lush mate only thing i would sort is your ashtray

25. barnfind

Drives:
    2.8i Special
    Good point, i'll do that - i've no idea why it is scratched like that.
    I spent a day cleaning the interior on Sunday as it didnt rain for once here, i'll see how it looks this weekend.

26. caprinerd

Drives:
    Its a common thing for ashtrays for some reason

27. barnfind

Drives:
    2.8i Special
    Here’s a lock-down update LoL, having to revert to domestic chores at the mo’ as we all are!

I had to tackle a few jobs at the start of the year:
    When I built the engine I used the rubber type of sump gasket, unfortunately it never sealed up well and had a oil drip on the starter. I reverted to the cork type gasket and whilst i was at it I re-did all the remote oil filter sealing rings to be sure.

[​IMG]

As I also had a small hole in a rack gaiter, I took the brave move of supporting the engine, and dropping x-member to access the sump. Tackling the job on axle stands wasn’t my best move either, it turned out to be a mission and tested my patience tbh :mad:. Sticking a cork gasket on upside down and feeding in the little wedges was testing but fortunately all ended well:) .

I used the type of gaiter clips bmw use, ebay is great for items like this now, as motor shops only sell basics nowadays.

Due to annoying squeeks I have switched to RBTM’s. Not keen on the modified look so I studded them, i also used the forum tip to stretch the covers for the long threads. I've always had these on my rally cars and Bmws, so I guessed they would fit better with my suspension set up, I have a castor improved roll bar on the front, all polybushed, with the rear arb arms spaced off the axle, new billies and CCI springs to suit the deeper top mounts.

[​IMG]

Using a fuel pressure guage kit, I tried a wider pressure differential, but within the ranges spec’d (helped by my adjustable WUR), after a run-out the plugs looked ok.

[​IMG]

Next i decided to do some r&d on the throttle body front, so I got one from Caprigear to explore.

[​IMG]

The std ones are 58mm, and 60mm is the maximum easily achieved, as this is governed by the position of the air bypass channel for idle.

[​IMG]

Howefast machine shop did a great job, and I then gave it a blend and polish with the rotary dg. Runs smooth but I want to get it on the rollers for a more in-depth tune with a few more miles on it.

Lastly, a gratuitous photo opportunity, reflecting on the open road . . . .

[​IMG]

Stay safe all, and looking forward to cruising soon :cool:

2.8jonny likes this.
  28. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    excellent update ...
    I enjoyed that immensely, and I don't even like the 28i motor..
    But I do like what you are doing, and the way you write it up.. well done fella

barnfind likes this.
  29. kez60

kez60 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    84 Injection Special (what else?)
    Great story, thanks

barnfind likes this.
  30. caprinerd

Drives:
    Nice up date and some really go work going on , im not a lover of the 2.8 but well done on the work so far

barnfind and 1970 sean like this.
  31. SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA

SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK3 STRATOS SILVER 3.0 GHIA
    I don't really get the hostility towards the 2.8 engine or the injector Capri, l wouldn't say no to one. My first involvement with a 2.8i engine was one that was in a W reg Granada estate, 4 speed manual, that car considering its weight would fly, returned decent mpg for a big car, 160bhp as standard, in 1981 that wasn't bad, it was the weapon of choice for bank robbers, as so l was led to believe, mine had been barreled and was covered top to bottom in finger print dust when l got it from a car salvage yard, somewhere near Birmingham.

barnfind likes this.
  32. barnfind

Drives:
    2.8i Special
    Gents, happy to share and learn - i do like the ethos of forums . . . and some youtube channels, i would post more if it wasn't for work!

I'm self taught on the tools, from watching my Dad service his car i took to repairs myself, it was the era of the Haynes manual and with no spare cash to fix my commonly unreliable car, you start to gain skills fixing wheel bearings, wheel cylinders, water pumps, then cambelts, and then the items through abuse like gearboxes and snapped leaf springs!

As a working class joe brought up in the 80's, the Ford scene was well promoted (with lets say 'spirited driving' on the telly) and we couldn't afford good Escorts and the ones i had simply broke, My elder brother and friend had mk 1.5 3.0 Gxl's, and they progressed to mk3 3.0s, and then Granada 2.8's and Sd1 V8's.
    I was late to the Capri after a bad Fiat Twincam bug i couldn't shake (but enjoyed), as i recall my first 2.8i seemed to be the evolution of bro's GXL, helped by the LSD and a V6 that seemed to like spinning up. As S3.0G states, the mpg also helped it as a commuter. After that i had several Widebody Starion Turbo's 2.0 and 2.6's and would love another but i just can't do fighting for spares these days with less time on my hands and that's why the Capri also works . . . .