$399 For Photobucket!

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by Craigorypeck, 2 July 2017.

1. Craigorypeck

Craigorypeck Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Twincharged mk1
    To link pics to forums it now cost 399 a year. Holy cow...

That'll screw up many a thread.

2. atomic4

atomic4 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri V8 4ltr Twin turbo. W reg 3ltr S.

Don't think I'll be using Photobucket anytime soon then!. :smokin:

3. Stroker

Stroker Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Sierra Ghia Estate 4x4
    So I believe!!! I too read about this yesterday.
    So decided to download all my photos from PhotoPhucket as I have read of some people being lock out of their account until they stump up the $399.[​IMG]
    Moved the photos over to PostImage. My photos seems to still be working from PhotoPhucket so haven't edited my links in threads on here yet.
    Yep going to bugger up a lot of threads on forums that's for sure. Especially forums with no option to edit your posts.

4. Craigorypeck

Drives:
    Twincharged mk1
    I thought it was a hack but apparently not.

5. Elliot

Elliot Big Fabrication Guru Capri Power Member

Having the same issue. I can understand them wanting some kind of subscription fee to store all our build thread photos, but to jump up from $0 to $400, thats beyond a joke.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all pictures uploaded before the change will still be viewable on the forum.

Elliot

6. twin turbo

twin turbo Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    cosworths, capries, xr4i
    Have seen several treads now with pic gone, and that 3d party link pic taken over... that is just stupid...

7. Craigorypeck

Drives:
    Twincharged mk1
    I'm kinda hoping it a scare tactic and old links will work again but new links will require the fee.. I'm out for sure, if it was a reasonable price I may have considered it... 400 a year, wise up

8. twin turbo

twin turbo Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    cosworths, capries, xr4i
    Insane money for so litle... i will try to copy out all my pics before its to late.

9. MarkW

MarkW Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 3.0S Janspeed Turbo, Green '81', Ford Mondeo Graphite 'Daily'.
    I have heard it's been hosted and will be sorted out in a few days. Anybody know if this is correct?

10. Laser

Laser Laser Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    1.6 Laser and 2.0S
    I'm currently arguing with them .. probably a waste of time but I want to get my pictures back ! thieving gits I have stuff up there from years ago and as time goes by it is not on my actual pc .. yeah I get all the back up stuff etc but now its extortion !

11. MarkW

MarkW Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 3.0S Janspeed Turbo, Green '81', Ford Mondeo Graphite 'Daily'.
    Can you not access it through your phone and screenshot it, then crop the border? That's what I will do if it doesn't get restored.

12. clicon357

clicon357 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK2 1976 2.0L GL (rotten), Mk3 1983 2.0L "S" (basically just the shell), MK3 1.6L Cabaret (nearest to being back on the road) - all in bits! Focus 2.0 Ghia Zetec for the daily drive!
    I've been downloading my albums ok.

13. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
    luckily i have all the photo's i have uploaded to photo *ucket still on my pc, does this mean that all the photos we have on our build thread will be null and void?, if so what a ballache[​IMG]

14. CAPRIghia30

CAPRIghia30 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 3.0 Ghia
    Although my thread is now way back in the depths of the forum, I checked it and all my photos are gone. Do they honestly think holding people to ransom will actually work ?

15. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS

I thought you'd agreed to a paid subscription long ago, and would be avoiding all this now.... :cursing: It's all a great example of the character of the "digital world" I object to most, that it presumes the eligibility to do all kinds of odd business deals that nobody ever heard of before. I can't imagine any other type of company that would see something like this as a wise move.

16. Craigorypeck

Drives:
    Twincharged mk1
    They should honour the service that they supplied up until now so threads can still have older pics. They can charge for future use if they want... I'll be going elsewhere.

17. Laser

Laser Laser Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    1.6 Laser and 2.0S
    yes totally correct I have been paying for the service

18. clicon357

Drives:
    MK2 1976 2.0L GL (rotten), Mk3 1983 2.0L "S" (basically just the shell), MK3 1.6L Cabaret (nearest to being back on the road) - all in bits! Focus 2.0 Ghia Zetec for the daily drive!
    I pasted a blocked Photobucket link into fixphotobucket.com where it generates another link to post:

[​IMG]

19. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS

Deft move... :headbang::

20. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Electrical ??? what like .. bzztt Feck !!! Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    well the blackmailing b'stards at fotofuckit have sent me the eMail with the good news that the service they set up for me is changing due to a rule change.
    I can have my original service back for money - um Blackmail / extortion immediately spring to mind..

as with Francis, I have old pics on there, but should have them on my PC OK .. its the impact to the forums that I am most annoyed about
    I don't have a high content / storage by comparison to most, but the inconvenience is huge

I will be sending them an eMail by return, and words like Blackmail, Extortion, and B'stards will no doubt feature strongly !!

meanwhile I will attempt to rescue the various Technical posts first before moving down the list of other posts and incidental photos

21. clicon357

Drives:
    As I've said it's easy enough to download your content from PB. It comes down as a zip file. You also get a confirming email from them. But do it NOW before they clamp down on access.

B'stards I agree. I've only used I think I said 20% of my storage before this.

CP needs to move to storing content on its own server with any cost spread amongst the members imo. Talk Electrician for example prefer it.

Don't think that eventually FB won't start charging for niche content.

22. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Electrical ??? what like .. bzztt Feck !!! Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    TBH - I know that all the photos I have on Photofukkit are in my Computer memory ..
    problem is not the loss of my own personal data .. the problem is with any posts or links that I (WE) have done and lodged on places like this
    OUR forum has now been technologically raped because a company that offered me (us) the facility to store and share some photos on their
    (now doomed) host site are now 'blocked' .. the fact that they would like to offer us the chance to keep sharing for $400 .. no sorry that is Extortion.

23. stuey650

stuey650 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.8 Special
    Its a company that must surely be in a real mess with this approach. A reasonable fee and they wouldn't probably find a large number of people would stamp up rather than having the hassle of moving. For example, I don't grudge the 79p per month I pay for extra storage to backup my phone which has WAY more data than my photobucket account.

They've totally missed a trick here in my opinion, most free online service rely on advertising as a main revenue stream. Why they couldn't have continued to allow 3rd party hosting for free but force an advert alongside each photo related to what the photo is for some targeting advertising. They could even of put the image into a frame that said "hosted by Photobucket at the bottom" with a link to their website etc. A paid, ad free option could be available and would be taken up by businesses using photobucket for their professional websites, ebay etc which is effectively the usage they are trying to get rid off here and the innocent, low usage users, such as ourselves probably wouldn't mind too much about having adverts.

It really wouldn't surprise me if they do a U turn on this its seems to be getting them nothing but bad press.