A666 Refurb

Discussion in 'Members Capris' started by Finn, 8 December 2011.

1. Finn

Finn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.9 Mk 3 Capri. 2.8 Mk 3 Capri
    No more Bacardi, not even had a glass of wine for over a week! Finn.

2. acepower84

acepower84 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk3 2.1, Mk2 2.0S, Octavia VRS
    Good on you Finn, looking forward to the updates.

3. mk3laserboy

mk3laserboy Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    June'11 CF, Ashes To Ashes! Soon to become a 5ltr V8custom MK2 X-pack , custom exhaust system
    Was it a hard decision Paul?

4. Finn

Drives:
    Not really Si, been doing it for 46 years so it was time to stop, worked it all out, cost of Bacardi, Diet Coke, Ice and 2 or 3 takeaways per week came to £150, so I have got a pay rise as well! Finn.

5. mk3laserboy

Drives:
    June'11 CF, Ashes To Ashes! Soon to become a 5ltr V8custom MK2 X-pack , custom exhaust system
    Blimey Paul, that's quite an amount..and a pay rise is always good mate!!

6. Finn

Drives:
    [​IMG]
    Photo fukit has decided to not upload any more pics at the mo, will try later today, as you will see later on, have marked out, and cut out the inner wing, will trial fit a road wheel to make sure I have clearance after I have built the tray, and before final welding. Finn.

7. Finn

Drives:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Managed to get 2 more pics on here, 4 more to go when Foto Fukit lets me. Finn.

8. Finn

Drives:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The straight edge and level are so that I can mark out the excess metal I have left on the bottom edge of the plate, will leave enough to form a lip to take the weld seam onto the bottom shelf.

9. BigJ

BigJ Registered Capri Power Member

I would never have the nerve to take a grinder to my inner wing like that. Good use of space though. Will you need to fit a mud shield of some description to stop the crud accumulating around the box when you are done?

10. Finn

Drives:
    Never thought of that, when finished it will be fully seam welded in, as will the new box, plenty of seam sealer, pink paint and top coat of Smoothrite should do the trick. Finn.

11. Copey

Copey Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Sierra Sapphire, Ford Capri
    lookin good so far Finn!

12. clicon357

clicon357 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK2 1976 2.0L GL (rotten), Mk3 1983 2.0L "S" (basically just the shell), MK3 1.6L Cabaret (nearest to being back on the road) - all in bits! Focus 2.0 Ghia Zetec estate awaiting sills. 2.0S Mondeo Duratec estate for the daily.
    Wasn't a certain Scotch wizard once experimenting with "full" wheel arch liners?

Is it worth introducing a drain tube in the corner of the battery box?

Fair play on giving up the drink; uploading CLEAR photos, cutting STRAIGHT lines etc. Not to mention more work done in a couple of days than.......

(Ahem.........stopping myself there he said, climbing into a £3.99 bottle of Lidl's finest vino collapso!) :lol:

13. BigJ

£3.99 :jawdrop:

Pushin the boat out Clive, is it a special occasion? :lol:

14. clicon357

Drives:
    MK2 1976 2.0L GL (rotten), Mk3 1983 2.0L "S" (basically just the shell), MK3 1.6L Cabaret (nearest to being back on the road) - all in bits! Focus 2.0 Ghia Zetec estate awaiting sills. 2.0S Mondeo Duratec estate for the daily.
    TBH it was the 14.5% ABV that swung it! :lol:

Went to a birthday bash last weekend where the admittedly higher end wind was flowing freely. The wife actually commented "Their wine tastes much better than ours!". By Christ was she rough Sunday!

For special occasions I take her to McDonalds and let her go large.....

15. clicon357

Drives:
    Found myself that the genuine Hammerite paint is IMO not so good as it used to be and can in fact be washed out with white spirit and easily too - has deffo changed. I'm now using Flag brand from Toolstation. It's Xylene based and much more like the Hammerite of old:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Painting%20&%20Decorating/Metal%20Paints%20&%20Primers/Hammer%20Finish%20Paint%20500ml/d150/sd3152/p36133

16. Finn

Drives:
    Will have a peep at that, only trouble is I am well stocked on Hammerite! Finn.

17. clicon357

Drives:
    If you do use the Flag stuff then it's BRUSH only apparently (says on the tin) and also don't overspread. Can't see why you couldn't thin with Xylene or an equivalent thinners and put it through a gun though. Brushing though you need to be super quicker as it dries super fast and you lose the wet edge, hence not to over spread.

Pretty sure Hammerite made their stuff a bit more eco friendly a few years back.

Just used a combo of genuine (new formula) Hammerite and then the Flag stuff when I ran out on my giant, front sliding garden gate which is galvanised then primed with Hammerite's Special Metals Primer (water washable FFS!). The two makes of hammer finish don't appear to react btw. Went for the Flag 'cos it was cheaper tbh.

18. Finn

Drives:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    3 essential bits of kit, a Clarke 24 inch folder, a thick piece of steel to use as a form, the piece I am using is cut off the edge of a larger sheet, so it has a rolled edge, if you use a sheared piece it would be a right angle, and a hammer to hit it with, that claw hammer has done so much work, I had it when I first started welding, and I used to hit the piece I had just welded, hard, to make sure if was welded properly, if it wasn't it fell off, so I had to clean it all up again. set it up and reweld, lot of hassle, I didn't knock things off for very long, much quicker to get it right first time. Finn.

19. Copey

Drives:
    You not done yet? Come on Finn! Pull yer finger out :p

20. garethp9404

garethp9404 Registered Capri Power Member

Looking well there mate. I have been trying to figure out how to put pictures on here most of the day to show my battery in wing method. It will be nice to see this one done. keep up the good work

21. Finn

Drives:
    I was the supreme Luddite for years, with a lot of help, and encouragement from fellow CP'ers I got it in the end, I still do get quite frustrated at times, and its one pic at a time, even though I know I can do a bulk upload, if I ever figured out how. I use Photobucket, upload onto there, and then you can transfer your pic onto CP. Finn.

22. Nick

Nick A human. Being. Staff Member Forum Tech

Drives:
    BMW
    You know how to keep the tension Finn. Looking good so far :thumbup1:

23. clicon357

Drives:
    Well my old man's 86, had his laptop for a couple of years now. Scans old photos and loves the comments he gets on Facebook.......so you should have no probs with the technology being 10 years younger! :lol:

Seriously with Photobucket it's a pain should you ever hit your free 2GB limit - on a pc you have to pay then! You can delete photos but it doesn't come off of your "allowance". Once uploaded that "eats" into your allowance forever. If you use tablet / smartphone though you can download the app and get an extra 8GB for nowt.

Most too tend to put the text before each photo to build the anticipation!

24. Finn

Drives:
    As with all the photos and info I put on here regarding A666, it is how I do a certain task, maybe not the best, easiest or professional way, its just how I achieve the result I am after. There are quite a few very skilled fabricators on here, a lot more skilled than I am, so their methods may be a lot diferant. I also have stated before that A666 will never be concors, like me, a little bit battered, but she is strong and will last.
    You will also notice, again, that my pics are warts and all, there is one in this section where I put a tack in the wrong place, out comes my claw hammer for a good whack, soon moved it to the right place. Finn.[​IMG]

25. Finn

Drives:
  26. Finn

Drives:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    All tacked up and fitted, next job will be to break the tacks, lift it out and cut off the excess metal from the overlap on the side piece, form a lip to support the base, and then drop it back into place again. I will trial fit the 2 front wheels, full lock, and then drop her down onto her wheels and full lock again to make sure I have clearance, hopefully so, but if not its a slitting disc reprise and lift the box up a tad. Trial and error, and a bit of patience will do it, if I have got it right on this side, I can use all the measurements and templates for the nearside to carry the header tank. Finn.

27. Copey

Drives:
    lookin damn good Finn!! very neat!

28. mk3laserboy

Drives:
    Very nice work Paul, looks nicer tucked into the wing! :thumbup1:/>

29. Nick

Drives:
    BMW
    Good work Paul.

30. acepower84

acepower84 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk3 2.1, Mk2 2.0S, Octavia VRS
    Ace stuff Paul, always daunting trying new ideas...

31. Chap Foose

Chap Foose Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Restoring a GT mk1 Cortina
    Very nicely done.Top job

32. Finn

Drives:
    Your comment means a lot to me young man, I do doff my hat to your standard of workmanship, I am a bit of a hammer and bang type of fabricator, Thankyou. Finn.

33. Vernon240

Vernon240 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    RS3100 Mk 2 347 V8
    Yep, looking very nice. Hope is passes the clearance test. It would be a right pain to bugger about with it now as it looks so good. So what's the plan for the battery securing? Some add an original style tray.

34. Finn

Drives:
    I was thinking of putting a bar across the side, piece of flat welded in to stop any lateral movement, and an origional battery clamp to stop any forward moves, captive nut tacked into place on the underside. Will have to shoot through to Halfords and buy a new Battery (I have a trade discount card, well worth having) and custom fit the retaininers into place. If I have got the depth wrong I have kept the piece I cut out, so I will reweld the required stip, cut off from the origional, back into place, lift the assebly up, mark out the excess, slitting disc at the ready, then reform the top 3 lips again, bit of messing about, but achievable, added bonus of if any CP'ers want to do this mod I can give precise measurements. Finn.

35. Finn

Drives:
    I have managed to heff up my PC, was installing a new system as per instructions from Ubuntu, pressed all the right buttons, not lost any info, but will not connect to the web. Am on my net book at the mo, no chance whatsoever of me fixing it, or using this device to upload pics, will still keep taking pics so can udate when divine intervention occurs on the main PC. Finn.

36. Kris

Kris Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    Mk3 2.9S Cosworth 24V
    I think CliCon357 on here sings Ubuntu's praises, maybe give him a shout Paul? I stick to the proper operating systems :p/> lolol/>

37. clicon357

Drives:
    So as not to clog his build thread I've posted in the Tool Shed under "Finn's PC".

38. Finn

Drives:
    There will be a 10 day pause in any more posts, as I have broke my main PC, and despite several very helfull peeps on here, Clive has been great, I will have to wait untill my Son In Law visits to get it sorted. The main problem I have when dealing with computers is that I don't understand the questions, never mind the instructions as to what to do when given them. I will still carry on and take pics, and I will try and figure out how to add pics via this netbook, Hey Ho. Finn.

39. Finn

Drives:
    Will have to ask Nick to move this Battery in the wing section of the refurb thread to a brand new thread entitled "What a C##T" Just trial fitted the front road wheels and dropped her down on her feet, major problem, rubber meets steel in a very big way,it would be fine if I just drove in straight lines, as cornering would be a no go. Have taken pics and will upload as soon as I can with this net book. Off to have a bit of a rethink, as I said, Warts and all! Finn.

40. mgentry90

mgentry90 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Try putting it sideways like the orange one has, or buy a smaller bat bat

41. Finn

Drives:
    Thats Waynes Orange Capri, I did look at that method, should have looked a bit harder methinks! Onwards and upwards! Finn.

42. mgentry90

mgentry90 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    You figure it out no worries

43. Finn

Drives:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Looks like it never happened! Finn.

44. Nick

Drives:
    BMW
    Seamless Paul ;)

45. chris249

chris249 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1.6 LS, 1.6 Laser, 2.8
    Looks like what never happened [​IMG]

46. Finn

Drives:
    Bloooooody done it again, Bag and Tag I hear the cry go up, got the old rad out to mock up the mounts, I had to cut all the old ones out to repair the inner wings, can't find the 2 piece plastic shroud that mounts on the inner face of the Rad, so can't set the Rad up in the correct location!!!!!
    On my way to the Kia main dealer showroom, no deposit, no tax, no test for 3 years,7 year warranty. Been on the Kia owners club site, spoke to a very nice chap called Roger, he is an accountant from Surbiton, apparently he is the only member as the ferkin things never go wrong! never have to take them apart so you don't lose any parts,in fact he was so glad to have somebody to speak to we are meeting for Lunch next week. Finn.

47. mk3laserboy

Drives:
    Very nice work there Paul!
    ..looks like it was never touched!

48. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    Finn! Wash your mouth!! Next, you'll be lusting over a Juke! Besides, I'm sure all those promises only apply if you agree not to drive the car, because if you do, it could break!

49. chris249

chris249 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1.6 LS, 1.6 Laser, 2.8
    I don't condone drinking but it appears the link between these things happening and the apparent lack of Bacardi is undeniable [​IMG]

50. Finn

Drives:
    I think you are right, may have to rethink my Tea Total stratergy else I will never finish A666 off! Finn.

51. Finn

Drives:
    Had a bit of a rethink,
    unusual for me, instead of fabbing up all the origional rad mounts why not buy a huge ally rad to go right across the front of the engine bay and plumb that in? Sound like a plan? any suggestions as to suppliers or a bolt in job? Finn.

52. BigJ

Ralloy do them but be prepared to did deep for one. I know some lads use the Granada radiator with twin fans for the Cossie conversions after cutting out the rad mounts.

53. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    get yourself a smiley transit Di radiator .. even brand new theyre cheap as chips, and more than man enough to keep the V6 cool ...

54. Caprick1

Caprick1 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.8 Efi Turbo Race lump running MegaSquirt, Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R
    Looks like a couple of spitfire props up front now. looks sweet. :thumbup1:

55. Finn

Drives:
    Sounds like a dam good idea to me, got a mate with a shed full of Transit bits, will nip round to see him this afternoon, Finn.
    Just had a peep on ebay, can get brand new c/w fan, delivered next day £42, would be rude not to! Thanks Al. Finn.
    Nipped out and got a secondhand one today, will trial fit it tomorrow and then order a brand newie!

Clockwork Orange likes this.
  56. Finn

Drives:
    Rolling Roads, any local ish to me. Finn.

57. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    only decent one i know of is Emerald in Watton not close to you but real close to me, but they will only do your car if you have their system must be one around Cambridge or Peterborough

58. Finn

Drives:
    Cheers Rog, will give them a Bell on Monday.

59. caprinerd

Drives:
    think they are shut due to bank hols Mr Finn sir

60. Finn

Drives:
    Silly me!

61. Finn

Drives:
    Sorted! 1 in Wisbang, booked in for Monday. Finn.

62. caprinerd

Drives:
    sweet knew there had to be one closer to you than Emerald

63. Finn

Drives:
    Indeed, I had forgotten about them. Lets see what Monday brings.

64. 2.8jonny

2.8jonny Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    What's the plan? Set up and power run?
    My mate has been putting together a volvo turbo thing and had it on the rollers the other day for a power run and general check it's not gonna explode.

Jonny

65. Finn

Drives:
    Just a dyno run, don't want to blow him up, just a feel of what BHP is there. Finn.

66. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    What's the spec? I think we should have a competition.....

67. Finn

Drives:
    here we go! 2.9 V6 out of a Sierra. Twin choke Webber. 4 speed box. 2 Lt back axle. And 25BHP Nos when activated, not on the dyno though. Finn.

68. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    I'm going for 130 WHP

OOO, I'm excited now.

Jonny

69. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    well at least its a proper cologne.. 6 ports in, 6ports out.. that was the true successor to the Essex V6 mantle..
    just a shame FoB didn't replace the Essex (light commercial diesel design) with something proper.. Always loved my Essex..
    go Finn..

70. caprinerd

Drives:
    Mr Finn you and lady wife person will need to let myself and my lady wife person know when your going to the pod, im working on a new engine at present, and have just been offered a rolling shell with bonnet boot doors no running gear apart from a welded 2.0 rear end, will be going to look at it this weekend and if its what i want i will be back on the 1/4 black top

71. kenny james

kenny james Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    3.0 GXL
    Hi Finn, is there a build thread? Thanks Kenny

72. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
    good luck on the dyno Paul

73. Finn

Drives:
    Hello, not really, it was years before I could put pics up, too stubborn to learn. Its easy now. I have been modifying A666 for years. Will start a thread and put pics up of the various stages. Paul.

SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA likes this.
  74. kenny james

Drives:
    3.0 GXL
    I can’t believe I thought I couldn’t load images now I know how easy it is. The engine swap really interests me, it would be good to find out what’s involved.

75. Finn

Drives:
    Will get on it tomorrow young man!

kenny james likes this.
  76. Finn

Drives:
    I found it! page 17 on Members Capris. A666 refurb. Finn.

77. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
  78. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    Transit Radiator & mounts for you Mr Finn
    110621ajr.jpg 110621akr.jpg 110621alr.jpg 110621amr.jpg 110625ac.JPG 110901aer.jpg 110901afr.jpg 110901agr.jpg 110901ajr.jpg 110901akr.jpg
    and now you can find your thread

SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA likes this.
  79. 8anton

8anton Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2L Laser
    Good job on that repair! Wish I had more abilities with a welder!

80. kenny james

Drives:
    3.0 GXL
    Thanks guys. Love that you built it the way you wanted and made it your car.

Last edited: 10 May 2021
  81. Finn

Drives:
  82. Finn

Drives:
    Dyno read out was 130 BHP. As A666 will go faster than I can drive him that's plenty enough for me! Finn SAM_8586.JPG

83. Finn

Drives:
    He was spitting flames out of both exhausts!

84. robt100

robt100 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Lots of ongoing projects
    Looking good!
    I'm assuming the 130bhp was at the wheels and minus NOS?

85. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Just call me the human dyno ;)

Great result

Jonny

86. Finn

Drives:
    Sorry to say it was 130BHP at the engine, 102 at the wheels. But to be fair the rev counter was well out of sync, has been for years, so I will have to wire up an ancillary rev counter and go back again to get a proper read out. A666 still goes faster than I can drive it, so its not a problem. Finn.

87. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Nobody that knows me will be surprised I am wrong again ;)
    Reassuringly, your transmission losses are within 1hp of mine.
    Jonny

88. caprinerd

Drives:
    good numbers Mr Finn

89. caprinerd

Drives:
    Good to see your thread revitalised Mr Finn

90. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    he probably still can't find it !!
    :p:p:p

91. Finn

Drives:
    Cheers chaps, there was a fancy Audi in there, had over 600 Bhp, I can't really see the point of so much power for a road car. Its like who has got the biggest willy competition, not me, filled two prams though. On my way back along the A47, main road between Peterborough and the East Coast, 2 lanes, lots of bends, lot of double white lines, and many lorries all day and night. Checked my mirror, and there he was CORSA MAN! I just kept trundling along with the rest of the traffic, and guess what? approaching a right hand bend, and double white lines Corsa man goes into Kamikazi mode, goes past me, because he is going so fast the momentum meant he had to go past the van in front of me as well. Traffic approaching, dust coming up as he is on the white lines where normal drivers don't go, so the build up of dust and bits of debris gets flung up. Long story a bit shorter, caught him up outside March and just stayed behind him until I turned off for Manea. What a silly billy! Finn.

2.8jonny likes this.
  92. caprinerd

Drives: