Aaron's Cobalt Blue Ghia 2.0

Discussion in 'Members Capris' started by fearthecat, 5 July 2015.

1. fearthecat

fearthecat Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    himself crazy with 3 and a half Capri Ghias
    Sunny days bring the old cars out, and it was long overdue for Blue to see sky and breeze. This is the first time it's been outdoors in at least 3 years, and the first drive in over 7 years. Once the fuel was flowing it ran okay. Puts a smile on my face regardless of its flaws.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I was motivated to give Blue a good look over and see what work is needed. I had given it a half-decent check a few years back but went all round the car this time. I know there's going to be more when underseal an dirt eventually come off but this has helped me get a good assessment to work from.

There's a lot of neglect and a lot of rough on Blue, but there's hope yet an there's undamaged paint in places to tell you this can be a beautiful car once again.

When I bought this Capri from Wales in 2008 or so, it didn't run and had the Four-Spoke alloys. Tires go very flat in storage so it's currently borrowing each of its wheel from a separate vehicle. The Four-Spokes will return in the end I believe, it makes a change from my other three Capris with Ghia alloys.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Most of the Capri will be put close to original spec, but if I do get on with this then I would like to upgrade the suspension and engine as well as do a few little custom things to make it truly 'mine'. One thing that's definitely going is the genuine Ford towbar; I smack my shins into that nearly every damn time! Still trying to figure out if the roof was vinyl from factory or a later addition as the two VIN plates differ in respect to that code. Sadly no documentation or history with this Capri [​IMG] And this just looks odd... the mix of brown, grey and black inside is puzzling and I will probably change it all to Black or Blue... I love the Mk2's for their colour-coordinated interiors! Most of the running gear will be replaced but hopefully I can keep as much original as possible. I'd rather restore a 30-year old part than just buy a new one. I think the piece deserves to stay if it's still able to do the job

[​IMG]

Blue has had a few bumps and scrapes over the years, and some repair work carried out to varying standards of 'that'll do'. There's a lot of work ahead an most of it is underneath. Some parts of the rear chassis look more like the Titanic.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The scuttle panel looks fantastic from up top, but this rust at the top of the door pillars might mean more horrors deeper in.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I had spotted a splodge of fibreglass last time I had checked Blue out, so this was a perfect time to remove the carpets and find out if the Capri still had a floor. Despite how rotten some of the underneath has appeared before now, all the front & rear seat fittings, and seat-belt fittings came out without any struggle!
    The sound-deadening / insulation was pretty dry and I found a few off-cuts of headlining under one.

The driver's side is a little battle-worn, rust around mounting points and holes drilled in the floor for exhaust mountings. Fibreglass had been skimmed over a patch repair in the footwell. Bets on there being the remnants of original floor still underneath? There was also a quite a lot of rust around a drain plug and the sound-deadening was gone around it. If someone had noticed the problem before not much had been done about it.

Passenger side looked better at a glance but there are some raised / sunken spots with rusted edges that suggests holes are hiding. The footwell on this side had a couple of bodges. Not a nice find but not awful, right?

The carpets are in pretty decent condition 'cept for rust stains and debris of dead creatures and dust! I love finding things like this label. 21st May 1981 [​IMG]

So where are the bad bits? Under we go! Sills? Yeah they're pretty rough! I explored a small hole that I had opened up a while ago at the bottom of the driver's door / sill join; now looks very cave-like, no bats though, just fibreglass and rusted flakes. And the further back you go, the more blue becomes dark, damp, brown blisters... The rear valance and chassis legs have really suffered from rot; it seems the towbar has worsened the rusting of the chassis legs.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    It looks scary at the back and I lost confidence with it for a long time, because all I heard were worries and suggestions that it wasn't worth the time or money. But it's a classic car, they're never worth the time or money [​IMG] That's not what it's about. I'd like to say thank you to elliecharlie on here for being the first person in a while to say it ain't that bad and to have a positive outlook on things. It's amazing how a little bit of encouragement can help me on my way to recovering the motivation and desire that I'd thought was gone completely.

AAAND a video, because sound is nice too [​IMG] Idling

2. acepower84

acepower84 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk3 2.1, Mk2 2.0S, Octavia VRS
    That car can be brought back to life and Steve can do a damn good job if i say so myself.

3. Lord Flasheart

Lord Flasheart Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Panzer, Jeep, CBR600, 3.0 Ghia
    Stick with Steve & you will be fine mate & best of luck from a fellow Cobalt Blue Ghia owner :headbang::/>/>

In answer to your vinyl roof question, I have one on mine that is a factory fit, have a look on my build thread & you will be able to see there is a seam on original ones running front to back either side about 6 inches from the top of the door.
    Something else I have worked out is that factory roofs have an extended roof channel which goes all the way round the rear side windows to the level of the bottom of the roof on the C pillar, I think your channel stops short of the bottom edge on the C pillar so at a guess maybe non factory.

Anyway, the far more experienced than me will advise if thats right or a load of old arse :thumbup1:/>/>

Good luck with it mate :D/>/>

4. Mark G

Mark G Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 2000s
    Nice Capri. Love them in Cobalt Blue :thumbup1:

5. Cullyboy

Cullyboy Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1.6 laser
    Something tempting about keeping the towbar - only 'cos its genuine OEM ford, as opposed to some sort of box section welded up job.

6. fearthecat

fearthecat Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    himself crazy with 3 and a half Capri Ghias
    Thank you everyone for your kind words :) It's lovely to hear more positive things!

I think Steve / elliecharlie believes he's an octopus and wants to work on as many Capris as he can! But my savings bowl only has...56 pence, so it'll be a while!

Lord Flasheart, I happened to spot your Cobalt Blue Ghia just before posting - stopped in my tracks and read the whole thread with delight at the fine condition, beautiful colour and the amazing work being done to your Capri. It's lovely to see yours and know mine could look like that one day. I see the difference in our roof gutters so its likely mine was not factory but certainly seems to have been done well and lined up right.

The leg-breaker... or "tow bar", is a nice thing in some ways - if I had a trailer to tow, then I would surely keep it for being a proper Ford item, but maybe it'll find a good home one day :)

Thanks again guys!

7. Lord Flasheart

Lord Flasheart Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Panzer, Jeep, CBR600, 3.0 Ghia
    Thank you for the kind words mate. I was fortunate enough to start out with a very straight original car, largely due to the freely given help & advise from Steve & Francis. I looked at plenty believe me patience paid off.

Trust me, it was never my plan to go as far with mine as I have / am & it will be used, sympathetically, but used non the less. I'll just keep it away from salty winter roads but will laugh in the face of rain :childish:/>

The continued help & guidance I get from folks on here, including positive comments is a constant encouragement, along with my mate who's company is doing the restoration (think thats the first time I have admitted its a restoration now :jawdrop:/> ) with my time doing the menial stuff.

Do what you can, when you can & enjoy it mate

:thumbup:/>

8. chris249

chris249 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1.6 LS, 1.6 Laser, 2.8
    She does look very original! I know people like show cars, but i'd be very tempted to repair what needs doing structurally and leave the top virtually as it is! how much more interesting and patina'd does it look than a car with a flawless spray job, you can't recreate originality, good luck! [​IMG]

9. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    excellent project happening ..
    Towbar? ... Keep it, excellent rear end protection ... I am refitting mine after (during) the refurb .. keeps idiots in moderns an extra few inches off your tail ..
    and.. as a parking aid, in car-parks you can reverse right up to the concrete, when the car stops and you lock up, the body and bumpers aren't up against the wall, but you cannot open the tailgate ..
    SO, protection AND security on the nights out .. and you soon learn to walk round the car at a bit wider berth ..

also, you may not have a trailer, but you can borrow one easy for shifting grubby stuff you wont want to put in the car .. and if your mates Vauxhall breaks down, its an easy hitch for the rope !!!
    [​IMG]
    its a keeper!