Adjustable TCA

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by kez60, 31 March 2021.

1. kez60

kez60 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    84 Injection Special (what else?)
    Hello,
    Just looking for thoughts on adjustable TCA's, been looking at the Tickover ones.
    I've had my 2.8 in for a wheel alignment previously and was told that the RHS camber was slightly positive, so i thought this was the best way to get a bit of adjustability in the front end.
    Thanks,
    Kez

2. therealpinto

therealpinto Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri turbo
    I use them, and yes, it's one way to correct/adjust camber. It might be worth checking if something is bent or a TCA bush is deformed first though, as generally the Capri is non-adjustable and camber should be pretty set if everything is OK.

For a street car I'd recommend the rubber bushed versions.

Gustaf

3. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    as per Gustaf.. I would check what the dimensions you have now are..
    the TCAs are a set length, the strut top mounts are dictated by the shell.. there really shouldn't be much difference side to side..
    If you decide to kick one side out to correct that camber angle, where will it sit in relation to the LHS and the centreline?

4. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    i would be looking more to why the camber is out more than trying to buy something to correct it, has the car been involved in a crash at anytime prier to you owning it,

5. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    I'm still trying to suss how the original setup gets so off where it should be, but both my current Capris fail to match the caster and camber specs. I know Hien, the 2.8, has never been in battle, but it likes the adjustable TCAs and top mounts, and Sista might need the TCAs. They both have a lot of miles, but no shop has ever been able to explain why they can't get them to specs, and they all recommend the adjustable TCAs. Seeing the above contrasting opinions, each from someone with more knowledge than me, makes me want to go spend more money to learn where I went wrong.. In any case, do keep in mind that adjustments to caster will also change camber.

6. kez60

kez60 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    84 Injection Special (what else?)
    Thanks for the replies.
    As far as I know and look, I don’t see or suspect accident damage but you never know.
    Gustav,
    Can you explain your comments a bit more about using rubber bushes i.e. on standard or adj TCA’s?
    I suppose the other question I had is whether the TCA crossmember bolt/mount ever gets any wear or movement after 100k miles?
    Kerry

7. therealpinto

therealpinto Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri turbo
    One thing that is sometimes overlooked when we ask why camber is out, is that after 40 years or more the car can have had the TCA replaced numerous times and it is not un-known that aftermarket TCA's actually can differ a bit in length (thus altering camber).

Apart from that, yes, the strut top mountings are "fixed" but the strut tops/inner wings may have been repaired. The crossmember should not "wear" but holes can elongate a bit and it can shift to the right or left. Strut top mounts rubber inserts can deform so the strut leans more. The strut tube itself can be slightly bent...

So lots of things that can have an impact and while correcting the cause (or at least knowing it) is great, sometimes it is fully acceptable to use other means such as adjustable TCAs to get camber back where we want it.

You can get adjustable TCA's either with a rubber bushed inner joint, or a solid "rose joint" (uniball). Mine are the rose jointed version but my car also have solid top mounts and is more of a "race car". If street use is the target, the rubber bushed inners will last longer and give less NVH.

Gustaf

Crash & Burn likes this.
  8. eau de cologne

eau de cologne Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    sorned capris
    Another thing that invariably gets overlooked is that when you lower the car you should adjust the camber back to standard it also adjusts the tracking which of course doesn't happen at the back with lowering blocks, almost essential with coilovers and is essential with adjustable top mounts for race applications with nonstandard offset wheels and tracking.

Bert

Last edited: 1 April 2021
    Crash & Burn likes this.
  9. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    Thanks for those last couple of replies. You're both welcome to inspect my cars when you're in town. :)