Alternative Roof Covering?

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by undefined, 9 July 2017.

1. undefined

undefined Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    undefined
    Hi iv been recently overhauling the underside of my mk3, i have been doing all the usual areas of cutting out rust and welding in new steel you know like front foot wells, out riggers, repairs to inner and outer sills, new front and rear spring hanger sections also both sides, new rear valance, inner and outer rear lower corners including a few other patches along the way, i went through the process of etch primering bare metal then primer, seam sealer then got the shultz gun out and give it all 3 good coats of black stone chip which got me thinking as im now kind of ready to paint the underside i have had to decide on exterior colour which i would like to be silver with black vinyl roof, black mk2 front and rear bumpers but. looking at the stonechip i thought that looks a bit like black vinyl especially if it was primed and sprayed in satin black. Is this something anyone else has tried, seen or considered? Also there would be no worry about what was going on under the vinyl.
    Ryan.

2. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Electrical ??? what like .. bzztt Feck !!! Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    my very first Capri - LSX67H - 1300XL, bought in 1976 .. was a Silver Fox with a 'faux' black vinyl roof .. am thinking it was really underseal ..

even after a bump and repaint the roof survived .. simply because me and all my pals were scared to attack and mebbe remove it ..

TBH - don't do imitation vinyl roof .. you will regret it totally, everyone will know, and everyone, including your mates, will remind you every day that you made a bad choice .. they look sh1t!

3. clicon357

clicon357 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK2 1976 2.0L GL (rotten), Mk3 1983 2.0L "S" (basically just the shell), MK3 1.6L Cabaret (nearest to being back on the road) - all in bits! Focus 2.0 Ghia Zetec for the daily drive!
    Didn't Bodney do something to a non vinyl, replacement tailgate so it matched his MK2 roof?

4. Not_Anumber

Not_Anumber Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.8i 5 speed. 2x previous Capris.
    Im sure I saw something on here or another forum about someone who replaced their whole metal Capri roof with a grp or composite panel which he left in a textured finish and painted black. That looked quite good. The purists probably wouldnt like it but it didnt stand out at all.