Alternative Sound Proofing

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by Foxc, 3 September 2017.

1. Foxc

Foxc Registered Capri Power Member

Afternoon everyone, had a little search on here and have seen people talking of using standard butyl flashing tape for sound proofing instead of branded stuff (like dynamat). Just wondering if anyone here has actually done it/has any advice? Also does anyone knows roughly how much I'd need to cover the general floor/footwell area?
    Cheers!

2. mrsquid

mrsquid Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    hybrid, electric, supercharged custom mk1 capri

My friend put that standard household thing on the roof and it just pealed away on a hot day, not to mention the smell.

I have used silentcoat brand even on roof and left it on the sun during the 40+ Celsius days for testing and it still holds.
    [​IMG]

my theory is that those materials are similar but the branded stuff that is meant for cars holds mush stronger and doesn't have that much smell.
    also I decided to use the aluminum ducting tape and seal the edges to eliminate the possibility of smell as much as I could even on branded stuff.

for vibration and panel deadening the manufacturers say it is 50% enough . but I have covered almost everything since I am using it also for extra sound insulation and temperature insulation.

3. twin turbo

twin turbo Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    cosworths, capries, xr4i
    Butyl, or can use "foam" like used on ventilation system for buildings(cheaper then specifications auto, since normaly use allot more then we do(

4. mrsquid

mrsquid Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    hybrid, electric, supercharged custom mk1 capri

Well I used the ducting foam over the sound material for sound and thermal insulation (the self adhesive is rated for something like 110 Celsius what is good since the roof gets quite hot during the summer) but I wont use it under the carpet, because a couple of my friends put it and it turned to dust after some time. it is actually really brittle and it rips easally.
    for the floor after the sound deadening material will probably use that recycled fabric stuff that is originally in most old cars
    [​IMG]
    on the picture is you can see in the middle kinda ripped lines (that is from removal of regular electrical tape)

so those are my experiences so far hope they help

5. Craigorypeck

Craigorypeck Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Twincharged mk1
    I used self adhesive frost king duct insulation. I still used contact adhesive in the roof areas. The floor I'm alao putting down 10mm closed cell foam like those 500mm squares used for home gyms etc also cheap in Wal-Mart. Should keep the noise down.

6. undefined

undefined Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    undefined
    Just a thought.....would general domestic carpet underlay prove as a good sound deadening especially on floor areas if stuck down with a high temp spray adhesive?

7. rossored86

rossored86 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    new focus RS is amazing
    underlay works fine --the thicker the better....

plus mine has plenty of waxoyl between it and the metal work of the floor ...the underlay will stick to the waxoyl and also stop any chance of floor damp and rust

cp

8. Foxc

Foxc Registered Capri Power Member

Thanks for all the replies. Think I'll go with a combination of things then! Got plenty of waxoly about as it is, my cousin has some silent coat deadening left over from his Defender rebuild. So I'll strategically use that and then either cover everything in underlay or old foam mats from a friends home gym.
    Cost effective and worthwhile hopfully!

9. undefined

undefined Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    undefined
    If u go to any carpet shop they always have a skip they throw all their offcuts in including the underlay im sure they would gladly let u take what u need and that new type recycled foam stuff is flame retardant too!