Capri 2.8I Prices

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by simon_rs, 27 October 2014.

1. simon_rs

simon_rs Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.8i
    hi im half heartly sort of selling my 2.8i capri it took 9 years to restore the body is 100% rust free and welding done to a better than factory fresh every nut bolt bush spring and so on is new has brooklands wheels and rs motor sport steerring wheel original parcel shelf and so on

drives a1 with vulcan stage 2 engine

now i put it up for £6000

and its still here is it still to much ? i dotn want give it away as i know 10 years down the line it be worth double at least

2. garethp9404

garethp9404 Registered Capri Power Member

Hi Simon I don't think it's too much it's just about catching the right buyer. As there been any interest in it? Has anybody been to see it? The fact is it's only worth what someone will pay. Maybe you would be better off starting it on eBay with an auction instead of the buy now. That way you may get more interest.

3. simon_rs

Drives:
    2.8i
    2 people one liked it gave a depoist then couldnt find the rest of the cash some deal fell thourgh he said but we did agree on 5900 he loved the car and gave a depo of £250

2nd was some one wanted the impossible his wife told me they been to look at over 100 capris and he aint brought one just says aint good enough for me to them all

i dont need to sell it i just dont use it and think its a waste

but just wanted some advise on am i asking to much for it ive probs about 8000-9000 in it so what ever i sell it for its a loss

4. stevep28

stevep28 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '82 Cortina 2.0 Ghia
    Sounds very fair, even cheap, to me.
    where did you advertise it?
    Put it on car and classic or ebay, you should get more interest.

5. Wilky

Wilky Registered Capri Power Member

Sounds a bargain to be honest

P.S why do people say 'brought' for bought??

6. Liverpool-Lad

Liverpool-Lad Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    208bhp 2.8i Turbo
    'Cos they can't spell properly. :)

Any pics of this Capri?

7. RUSTY30S

RUSTY30S Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capris
    HI Simon

I am presuming your car is the black 2.8 advertised on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-CAPRI-2-8-INJECTION-FULLY-RESTORED-RARE-HISTORY-230BHP-VULCAN-TUNED-V6-2-8I-/351188978933?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item51c47e8cf5

This is only my opinion and I hope it comes across the right way as it is meant to help and not to criticize. I am sure there may be some who may disagree with my comments.

I do think your car looks worth the money when compared to what else is for sale. It looks really tidy with a great shine and finish to the paint and the 280 wheels look fantastic but there are a few things that may be putting buyers off.

1st there is the colour change. Black 2.8's are fantastic looking when really clean were as the grey over silver cars often seemed to look a bit dull. I can understand why you changed it but nowadays original cars seem to sell a bit better than altered or modified ones. I have grown to really like the grey over silver recently. I think that final picture of the car looks fantastic. I think it would have sold easier if it was still the original colour. You sort of say this yourself in your ad.

2nd thing that may put people of is the lack of decals or badges. This de-cluttered look is a look a lot go for which is fine when its your car, but when selling, the car will appeal to a lot more people if it looks original.

3rd is I don't think the pictures are very good. They are quite dark (at least they are on my computer) and there are none of the interior. You say you have this nice RS steering wheel and there is not even a picture of it.

The first thing I would do if I was selling your car is change the pictures. I would show plenty of good quality bright pictures of the car from various angles looking as good as it does now. I would try to show some of the interior if it looks good (looking at the finish to the car I would think it does). A shot or 2 of the engine bay also helps but further back than yours. I wouldn't show any of the car in primer or bare painted state. I also wouldn't show any of the car when it was grey over silver as to me this shows too much of a differance from the car you are selling now. These are perfect to give to a new buyer as they are great for the history but I wouldn't show them at this stage.

Secondly,the colour of the car has been changed and you have been very open and honest in saying this. I would word it differently. I would say - the car was originally dark grey but when it was stripped to a bare shell and primed I decided to make a subtle change and go for the much nicer, in my opinion, black. It looks stunning, especially with the 280 alloys fitted. Don't mention "I sort of regret it now"

All the time taken and attention to detail when building it up you mentioned in ad is very good. It would be good if you could find out more about the motorsport history and list this but its not essential.

I would make a point of saying something like - This car stands me in excess of (£9k or £10 k), not to mention the hours of labour but due to lack of use, I am selling it for the reasonable price of £6,000, which should be a good investment for its new owner based on the way Capri prices have been rising in recent years.

The changes I have suggested so far are easy and would cost nothing. The third one is up to yourself but I would have a silver over red injection decal kit fitted. Your car looks good as is but I think this would attract more buyers.

I hope this is some help. Good luck with the sale of what looks like a very good car.

8. Liverpool-Lad

Drives:
    208bhp 2.8i Turbo
    Is the 230bhp also dyno proven?

9. Wilky

Wilky Registered Capri Power Member

For what it's worth, I think Rusty is right on the money with his comments - he must work in marketing!!

10. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
    agreed, also the tax is now not transferable lovely looking car though sounds well worth the dosh, good luck with the sale[​IMG]

11. rossored86

rossored86 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    new focus RS is amazing
    Prices --erm -- depends on who wants what -- just been loking at DR Brooklnads site and his 3.6 capri --14 thousnad quid plus --someone will buy it --(I must be honest it tickled my fancy)

look at his pictures and blurb and then reflect on your own advert.... there is a difference --no hurt intended --his tckled my fancy --yours didnt...

constructive and never attacking you

cp

12. simon_rs

Drives:
    2.8i
    thanks and im great full for what i did bad i was just trying be honest about it
    as for the photos do look clear on my pc and phone but yeah ill take a few more

thanks every one i mite even just keep it yet i dont no

13. simon_rs

Drives:
    2.8i
    Is the 230bhp also dyno proven?

yes it is it

it really is a very quick 2.8i

14. Liverpool-Lad

Drives:
    208bhp 2.8i Turbo
    Have you got the graph to post up out of interest? Curious how the power delivery is

15. 2.8jonny

2.8jonny Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    I'd love to see the graph, tuning these engines for mods is a nightmare, I'd also love to see the fuel curve if recorded on the graph. Totally selfish im afraid ;-)
    Jon.

16. cologne2792

cologne2792 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '84 2.8i, '02 Ranger 2, '53 406 coupe hdi
    It is a gorgeous car, the work done is excellent and the price is probably about right.
    What put me off when I saw the Ebay ad was the 230 bhp quote.
    I have no doubt this is genuine as you say you have the dyno figures but it just seems highly unlikely to the uninformed as the 2.8 is extremely difficult to tune to this sort of degree - the amount of re-engineering that Swaymar did to get this sort of increase was more than the cost of this Capri.
    Probably need to show a copy of the dyno info along with some information about engine build cost and what was done otherwise the advert could be being dismissed unfairly on the basis of dodgy information.
    Gorgeous Car - Love It [​IMG]

17. simon_rs

Drives:
    2.8i
    i dont have a graph just marshell rolling road print out

it goes on to say its putting out a recorded 180 bhp at the rear wheels

i had a long chat with guy that built it also afordable classics that sold the car for him back in 1999 and at the time he said it was best 2.8i capri he had ever driven the power was just right

i remeber at the time i phone him i said ive this capri that used to race and is nothing like any 2.8 ive had before hes reply was you have the grey one ?

the engine has had about £10,000 spent on it over the years to get this power

the guy who car it was said the next step was triple carb set up as the injection set up was holding it back

18. 2.8jonny

2.8jonny Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    I think its fair to say you have a very special engine there, not a lot of the innards will be standard any more. A well worded advert will see this Car sold quick. Im not looking or in a position to buy but im more interested after that info than I was after reading your advert.
    Good luck with the sale.
    Jon.

19. cologne2792

cologne2792 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '84 2.8i, '02 Ranger 2, '53 406 coupe hdi

Put all that in the ad as it's something that would make me sit up and take notice - and I'm from the School of Hardened Cynics !
    Cracking car - I wish you well !

20. Liverpool-Lad

Drives:
    208bhp 2.8i Turbo
    Is it still running the 4 port inlet and exhaust setup?

21. simon_rs

Drives:
    2.8i

its got standerd injection and tube manifolds

22. RUSTY30S

Drives:
    Capris
    Hope this link comes up ok but looking for something else Capri related and came across this.

looks like your CApri in action back in 1991.

Looks quick enough of the line and seems to handle alright also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvlKJYnCfJE

click on the little youtube logo on bottom right of small tv screen and can be watched on youtube full size

23. RUSTY30S

Drives:
    Capris
    not the same car but some good footage of Capris racing.

not sure if this is listed anywhere else on site.

if it is, administrators please remove

DAvid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY2-z1q4sMw

24. simon_rs

Drives:
    2.8i

hi yes it is my car have the video on the pc and few photos