Capri 50th B'day Event At Ford Dunton Research Centre - Sun 1st Sep 2019 (provisional)

Discussion in 'Upcoming Events' started by Daz-RSK, 16 October 2018.

1. Daz-RSK

Daz-RSK Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1985 2.8i Injection Special
    Fellow Capri Owners - it's taken quite a bit of pain, toil and trouble from a Ford insider (me) but we have got there in the end!

There will be a Capri 50th Birthday event that Ford Motor Company will host at their grounds. Woooohoooooo!

Ford, at this stage, have only provided the grounds for the event. The charity that place together a fantastic classic car and bike event is the St Francis Hospice and it is them who will coordinate the show.

Ford have not come to the party, in name, as the official coordinators of the event. I am not sure why. I believe it was for security reasons and the fact it would have to be mid-week because Dunton closes at the weekend etc etc. But that might turn to be a blessing because to drag people to an event mid-week is more difficult.

But no matter, we are at Ford Motor grounds in Dunton, under the blue oval AND we are exclusively on their race track (assuming we can get 100 cars). Frankly, who cares who is coordinating it. You are at a car show with your Capri on Ford grounds with lots of other Capri's (hopefully) and on the track that your car was proven, as it was used as part of the R&D and press releases through the years of production. Don't forget that the SVE division was based at Dunton.

I will roll out details as we get more. It is a provisional at the moment but will be sealed in Jan / Feb 2019. there is good hope this will be done.

Please take a look at the following clip to see what St Francis Hospice (Frankie's Classic Car Show) and Dunton do. I attended last month (Sept 2018) and it was immense.

Make no mistake, this is a full on classic car show, with facilities, disco, band, things for the kids to do, for the family to do. This is probably more than what Ford could place on as these guys have been doing this for years and the set up is very, very good.

Just hold there for the moment and I'll give the green light. I would like to know, provisionally, is there some interest amongst this group. I recognise that this is also in close timing proximity to the Brooklands 50th Birthday but that might count as a blessing as the 50th birthday events roll out across the summer.

Also, please give me some pointers - I want this Ford based event to succeed with popularity, given its meaning. What other forums / Capri clubs should I address. I have some ideas, but please push them forward in case I miss any.

Thank you and if interested, stay very tuned.

2. robt100

robt100 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Lots of ongoing projects
    If its running ill be there. I've been told by SWMBO that the car has to go soon, so I'm going to aim to make all the events I can next year, partly to get my capri fix, and partly to hopefully win the mrs over into keeping it:D

3. Daz-RSK

Daz-RSK Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1985 2.8i Injection Special
    Thanks for showing interest. Great - I hope you can make it! I just need to get the green light but there is 95% chance we are there. I want to gauge the interest leading up to the green light.

She'll be bowled over if she comes to this event (& Brooklands event). :D This is pretty special.

4. v6lad

v6lad Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 2.8 tt and Navara 2.3 tt
    Just down the road to me I would be interested in going.

5. 2litreScapri

2litreScapri Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 2.0S, Saab 9-3 2.8V6T Aero Convertible
    As previously forementioned on other forums, this is just the weekend before Brooklands, there are many events planned for next year, just hope everyone has their Capris well fuelled & maintained!

6. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
    i'll be along if i can, can't definitely commit at this stage but hopefully i will

7. chris249

chris249 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1.6 LS, 1.6 Laser, 2.8
    I'd be interested in this!

8. Trophy Blue

Trophy Blue Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri cosworth & Lexus is300
    I will be up for this too. Only a few miles away from me.

9. nosher 64

nosher 64 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.8i
    We would definitely be interested in this..

10. MarkW

MarkW Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 3.0S Janspeed Turbo, Green '81', Ford Mondeo Graphite 'Daily'.
    Count me in.

11. Wideboy

Wideboy Registered Capri Power Member

Sounds like a good one to go to as long it doesn't clash I will be there...Last time I did an event at Dunton for £10 they let you drive a circuit of the banked test track...about 10 cars at a time with a pace car to stop people going mental...I think it may have changed as I believe somebody did drive like loony and either injured or killed themselves at a similar event in the USA when Ford opened its doors.

12. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    I doubt I could make that from here, but want to say you deserve a huge thanks for going out of your way to help it happen. Good on you!

13. v6lad

v6lad Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 2.8 tt and Navara 2.3 tt
    Any more news on this? I would be interested.

14. mgentry90

mgentry90 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Ditto!! Only just noticed this one and it’s local to me too.. AND I plan on having the old girl back up and running soon!!!! Would make a good place for a proper test run.