Capri book artwork

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by Ssaxty, 10 June 2019.

1. Ssaxty

Ssaxty Registered Capri Power Member

I'm just about to sign off the cover art for the new Capri 50 book this week, what do you think? One is for the slipcase on the signed and numbered Collector's Edition and the three cars will be on the cover. The guy isn't cheap who draws these for me. Although this second book will be cheaper at £25 (as it's softback) I wanted readers of The Cars You Always.... be happy they are both of the same quality.

Only a few weeks to go now before it's on the press. Two Capri books in a year, that will be that then for another 25 years.

More details on it here BTW. https://www.stevesaxty.com/capri50-details

[​IMG]

2. 302Capri

302Capri Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '79 Mk3 BOA, '69 Mk1 GT V8
    Great artwork!

3. Geronimo

Geronimo Member Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri Mk2 2.0 S
    Shame the model year sequence between the MK 1 and the injection is out.
    I take it that the black Mk 2 Capri is a “midnight’ due to the gold spoke wheels and the missing the ‘S’ decal, so it was in production before the the arrival of the yellow Mk 2 S.

Otherwise I’ll be looking out for the book to add to my collection.

Last edited: 11 June 2019
  4. Not_Anumber

Not_Anumber Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.8i 5 speed. 2x previous Capris.
    I dont think the images are intended to be strictly sequential. You didnt point out the shape of the headrests :eek:

5. Ssaxty

Yup - getting the colour balance right more important than sequentiality. Doing so would doubtless have led to a bizarre discussion about whether one version favoured over the other! You're right the headrests are intended as generics, like the drivers. Sequentiality is the timeline's job though and here's an unfinished work-in-progress sneak peek and yes the red Injection needs pepperpots and the backgrounds removed. - Steve
    [​IMG]

6. Geronimo

Drives:
    Capri Mk2 2.0 S
    Well still being picky, Mk2 didn’t leave the factory with a front spoiler, it wasn’t even in the options list, the front spoiler came with the Mk3, but in the RS parts catalogue of the time a two part white plastic spoiler was available for the Capri and listed as a Deflector and so £17.50 plus paint and it was yours to fit.

My receipt for the purchase of the”Deflector Kit” is dated 23 Aug 78 :)

7. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Electrical ??? what like .. bzztt Feck !!! Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    no mention of the 3litre X specials?
    factory cars - Capri II 74 series run of 100, then the 2 runs of 50 cars on the 78series ?

8. Ssaxty

Er no - the Capri II S picked up a front spoiler in Sept 1977 at the same time when the Ronal alloys swapped for Ghia style on the 1977 models.

Last edited: 11 June 2019
  9. Ssaxty

The Series X cars are in The Car You Always... of course at great length. I wanted to only feature factory-made cars in Capri 50. Since the X-pack was mainly UK-only it would confuse other market readers. Plus, I can only imagine that since there wasn't a defined Series X spec, because you could mix and match, people would endlessly debate what it should be. For example, whether the illustrated car should have a S of X stripe like the various demo cars and so it would turn into a nerd-fest and stop being fun! The German wide-arch car is there and I'm happy enough. Of course, one can never make everyone happy and so in the end I decided to have what I fancied!

10. Geronimo

Drives:
    Capri Mk2 2.0 S
    Ok a year after I got mine. A plastic two part one then ? That must of been how I got to know it was available and popped out and got one.
    I’ve only got the 1976 sales brochure so must of missed the 1977 one, but then time flies and, as soon as, I was invited to test drive the new Mk3.

Just to add. I must have a 1977MY then as it’s fitted with the Ghia wheels but registration is September 1976 but still there was no spoiler and neither is it an option in the 1977 Ford price list.

Last edited: 13 June 2019