Cci Mild To Wild Part 1

Discussion in 'Event Photos' started by Laser, 9 August 2016.

1. Laser

Laser Laser Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    1.6 Laser and 2.0S
  2. Laser

Drives:
    1.6 Laser and 2.0S
  3. atomic4

atomic4 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri V8 4ltr Twin turbo. W reg 3ltr S.
    Looks like you had some really good weather. Excellent pics too.

4. Lord Flasheart

Lord Flasheart Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Panzer, Jeep, CBR600, 3.0 Ghia
    Excellent pics Wing Co ........ the weather was lovely, if a little windy at times which meant you caught the sun without realizing it .... bloody prickly heat :duh: :duh:

Was a good turnout, some very nice cars, couple of lovely Mk1's

5. Freelanderfan

Freelanderfan Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.8i Special
    Great pictures of some stunning Capris, couldn't make it this year but will be there next time. Thanks for posting, must have taken you ages :thumbup1:/>

6. PaulG

PaulG Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 3.0S, 2.0S and 1.6 laser, Fiesta MK2 1.1,Octavia VRS,
    Great pictures, looks like a good turnout of top quality vehicles. Shame how few Mk1 and MK2 Capris were there in comparison to the later ones, suppose it's just reflective of the survival rates of the older ones. They're all lovely though.

7. north28

north28 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1983 capri 2.8i
    great pictures francis , some nice motors there might get there one day :thumbup1:

8. acepower84

acepower84 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk3 2.1, Mk2 2.0S, Octavia VRS
    Nice pictures Francis. Was a good day.

9. dreamhealer

dreamhealer Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1973 mk1 facelift with 1967 hearse trailer, 2009 mondeo estate
    Great Pics, Thank You

10. redkangaroo007

redkangaroo007 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.8inj.
    had a gr8 day...fantastic pic,s...and mr hill really happy...more capri,s next year please?????

11. Mk3 Mags

Mk3 Mags Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2-litre Laser
    Great pics. Thanks Francis. Looks a good turnout - and splendid weather. Must go there again one day. I always enjoyed my visits to Evesham.

12. Daz-RSK

Daz-RSK Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1985 2.8i Injection Special
    Some really great pictures there! As some of you said, there were few of the older marks there. Instead a lot of Mk3's. Probably the age is catching up on these as there can't be so many about now.

But the day was dry / warm and had the hallmark to entice a big crowd - which it did quite well at.

Now, there is a conundrum here for you all. In those pictures, there was a 2.8i in blue, reg D800 UHC. We spoke to the owner when we were meandering around. He had just purchased it only earlier this year.

My mate believes that this is a bit of a rarity. It was one of the last 2.8i built before the 280, manufactured in Nov 1986. Apparently, according to my mate, that was never a Ford recognised colour for the Capri. It was for the rest of the range, but this one has slipped through onto that car but was never in the brochure as the colour was launched as the Capri production faded. The owner maintained that the colour was in the brochure. Fight, fight, fight! :D

I am not sure whether he thought my mate was having a bit of a pop - he wasn't. He was pointing out that the colour wasn't a Capri colour, as recognised officially by Ford, therefore, was a bit of a rarity. Which, actually, is a good thing. I'll find out what the colour name was.

You know how these things get misconstrued. The owner was quite defensive over it (and probably correctly being told his car wasn't an official colour) and my mate telling him that he has a rare one.

The other 2.8i Capri of the day that wasn't in the piccies was a black one on a B plate. Turned up late. Totally original with 38k miles. Immaculate for a 1984/5 build. But isn't it strange how something like that blue D plate one and many others that have been restored / repainted are so much better than an original. the finish is so much better.

13. v6lad

v6lad Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 2.8 tt and Navara 2.3 tt
    I talked to the owner because my car is the same colour Crystal blue. At all the shows I have been to I have only seen a couple in this colour and the paint code is U7 but this is the first time I have seen another blue over silver so I asked to look at the paint code on the slam panel vin and it's the same as mine L7. Now this is where it gets strange because L was designated as Laquer red and I mentioned that my car was originally registered as red by the dealer but when delivered from the factory it was obviously blue over silver and was amended ( I have copies of all the paperwork between Ford UK and the dealer SEM of Basildon). Now the owner of this car has similar paperwork his too was originally registered red. Now to confuse matters more on D800 the right hand ID plate on the slam panel reads Kryslal blue/silber and mine reads Canton blue/silber. Canton blue turns out to be another name Ford used for Crystal blue.
    Crystal blue is listed in the later Ford brochures for the last few months of production of the Capri with the option of two tone Cryslal blue over Strato silver and is indeed one of the rarer colours. It would be nice to hear from members who have Cryslal blue Capris to see how many are left and if any other members have Canton blue on their ID plate.

14. Daz-RSK

Drives:
    Wow! Some excellent info there chap. :thumbup: Crystal blue, that's right!

My mate did hit on something here then. Baring in mind that he probably hasn't dusted off Capri brochures like this in over 20 years and spotted a "unique" version was quite good going. But then he is a bit of a sucker for this detail.

Anyway, this will confuse you further as I have shamelessly lifted something in the archives from here, posted back in 2006.

From February 1984 (A) as follows:-
    Model.....................LS...............'S'............2.8i
    Metallic
    Strato Silver............Y..................Y..............Y
    Champagne Gold.....Y..................Y...............Y
    Havana Brown.........Y..................Y..............N/A
    Jade Green..............Y..................Y.............N/A
    Nimbus Grey............Y..................Y..............Y
    Glacier Blue.............Y..................Y..............Y
    Caspian Blue...........Y...................Y..............Y

Solid Colours
    Diamond White........Y...................Y..............Y
    Pine Green..............Y...................Y..............N/A
    Cardinel Red...........Y....................Y..............Y
    Ocean Blue.............Y....................Y..............N/A
    Black at extra cost...Y....................Y..............Y

2.8i Two Tone metallic
    Upper body......................Lower body
    Strato silver....................Nimbus Grey
    Glacier blue....................Caspian Blue
    Caspian Blue..................Strato Silver

From October 1984 (B reg) as follows:-
    Metallic
    Model..............................Laser................2.8i
    Strato silver.......................Y......................Y
    Nimbus Grey......................Y......................Y
    Paris Blue..........................Y.......................Y
    Mineral Blue.......................Y......................Y

Solid Colour
    Diamond White.....................Y.....................Y
    Lacquer Red.........................Y.....................Y
    Black at extra cost................Y.....................Y

Two Tone
    upper body.......lower body
    Nimbus Grey....Strato silver ..Y...................Y
    Mineral Blue.....Strato silver...Y...................Y

In August 1986 (D) brochure there is a slight change,as follows:-
    Metallic
    Model......................Laser...............2.8i
    Strato Silver...............Y....................Y
    Paris Blue...................Y....................Y
    Mineral Blue................Y....................Y
    Nimbus Grey...............Y....................Y

Solid colour
    Diamond White............Y....................Y
    Rosso red ...................Y....................Y
    Lacquer Red................Y....................Y
    Black at extra cost.......Y....................Y

Two Tone as Oct 1984 and Aug 1986 brochure.

In February 1987 (D) Brochure another change, as follows:-
    Metallic
    Model.................................Laser.................2.8i
    Strato Silver..........................Y.......................Y
    Crystal Blue..........................Y.......................Y
    Regency red.........................Y.......................Y
    Mercury Grey.........................Y.......................Y

Solid Colour
    Diamond White......................Y.......................Y
    Rosso Red.............................Y.......................Y
    Black at extra cost..................Y......................Y

Two Tone
    Upper body....lower body
    Mercury grey...Stratos silver....Y......................Y
    Crystal Blue...Stratos silver......Y......................Y

So basically, in the Aug 1986 brochure, Mineral blue was listed. In Feb 87, Crystal blue. But you couldn't order a pre-produced Capri in Feb 87 as the 280 ran out on one colour 19/12/86 and the 2.8i Special finished on 30/11/86. So all the cars were made and brochure was merely reflecting on what you could have if it was available.

Now this is where the Capri run out doesn't conform with anything else - the 1st one doesn't conform to anything in history. First, it was a European car built in Genk for the UK market only, since the Special launch in 1984. 2nd (and you'll never see this today) - there was a shed load of unsold stock that stretched over 1 year to be sold.

So this is what I think has happened here. Mineral blue was the offered deep blue in Aug 86 and was the run out blue for Capri. But being a European production line and the Capri only for the UK, in very late 86, Mineral was swapped with Crystal. But (and you will correct me here if wrong) this was never placed into a Capri brochure as they were updated only 6 monthly and the marketing costs of changing for a handful of rarities to re-launch a brochure in Nov 1986 were prohibitive, given the birth of the green 280 in Dec 1986. It was in the Ford brochure though because Crystal became a European Ford colour late 86.

So what you guys have in this blue is uber rare, even in 1986. 30 years on, you have a one off - maybe 3 or 4 left, I would suggest not even double numbers.

The paint code is all confusing because Chrystal was never meant to be a run out colour for Capri. Mineral was, but Ford paint in for the model range and they changed right on the midnight hour of the Special becoming the 280.

So why did they use a strange code ? That bit is confusing. Maybe because there was a last minute switch. Maybe people saw the brochure in Nov 86 and wanted the deep blue, Ford had already made the cars, the VIN plates already pressed and there had to be a last minute switch. I don't know. This is very very strange.

But you and the owner of D800 should be proud that you have a midnight hour colour that was probably only available if a customer requested it in Nov 86.

BTW, I work in Ford Motor so understand run out models. The Capri though was a rare one in many ways.

15. Laser

Drives:
    1.6 Laser and 2.0S
    Whoops Crystal Blue was one of the last run out colours , I know of at least 5 2.8specials in this colour and plenty of lasers ...

16. tiko

tiko Registered Capri Power Member

I think Crystal blue was only used round about that time on entire Ford range as I've only seen D, E and F reg fords in crystal blue, Capri's, sapphire cosworths and XR2's, there are maybe more but thats all I have seen/remember.

17. 2litreScapri

2litreScapri Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 2.0S, Saab 9-3 2.8V6T Aero Convertible
    Nice pics Francis, I always wonder if it's worth taking the trip down to one of these one year.

18. Daz-RSK

Drives:
    OK - so Crystal blue, regency red and mercury grey were launched colours in Nov 1986. If you have seen any Capri's with these colours, they would be extremely rare.

Given Capri production was about 1000 per month, the final 1000 had the chance to have these 3 colours placed on the Capri's, in addition to the other colours that were carry overs (black, white rosso red etc). Given there were 10 choices of colour, if production was uniform, this would mean that there would only have been 100 each of these colours on the Capri's for the November month - for the crystal and mercury, there was the additional 2 tone option, doubling up this probability.

HOWEVER, production is not uniform. So these colours would appear only through customer pre-orders through 2nd half 1986 until mid November, the rest would be as a result of a punt on Ford's behalf as to what customers would want to buy in 1987/8 out until the last one sold.

So let's say this was all uniform as I have no detail to determine any other possibility, there were only 100 Capri's with each of these colours. It takes 10,000 units to be widely recognised on the road, at a model level. This means that you see one of a model each week, roughly. We are talking about 100 units here, not 10,000.

Yes, agreed, Capri shows is where you'll see these, the few that are left. They would have been more abundant in the past. But nevertheless, they would have existed. It would have been a rare glance to see one of these colours randomly passing you whilst out on your daily commute, shopping trip, travel around.

Just to factor another thing is to show scarcity. It is widely known that Morgan's production levels are very low. They used to be 10 per week. I don't know whether that has changed. So they used to make 500 per year. How many Morgans do you see, total ? Now fine tune this to how many do you see registered in one specific year (like a 2015 registration) ? Yet on balance, there are 5 times as many of these on the roads from 2015 than there ever were of each of these Capri colours launched on the midnight hour of Capri production (assuming my Morgan production stats are not outdated).

Anyone who has a regency, mercury or crystal Capri is ultra lucky being part of the scarce camp

19. jase 5700

jase 5700 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk3 5.7 V8 MK2 3 ltr S
    Speaking of rare blue Capri's...how rare are midnight blue 2.8s? Over 100 Crystal blue Capri's were built...but how many Midnight blue Capri's were built..more importantly how many have survived?

20. Laser

Drives:
    1.6 Laser and 2.0S
    Midnight blue 2.8 now that's a thought as I can't recall it being an option available.
    Unless special order?

21. ian2800

ian2800 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk2 3.0, Mk3 3.0S
    Midnight blue was an option on early 2.8's but not for very long...it's ultra rare. Hang on though, I'm sure I saw one on this thread ;)/>

22. jase 5700

Drives:
    Mk3 5.7 V8 MK2 3 ltr S
    Was it X registration? Thought it was black yeah...mega rare. 44 ever built! I only found out the other day from an excellent source.

23. ian2800

ian2800 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk2 3.0, Mk3 3.0S
    Yes, OUJ.

24. jase 5700

Drives:
    Mk3 5.7 V8 MK2 3 ltr S
    OUJ. That would be the only Midnight blue 2.8i I have ever seen. I have seen few crystal blue 2.8s And lasers but Midnight blue....hope the owner knows how rare that is.