coolex radiator

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by Phil Work, 14 September 2018.

1. Phil Work

Phil Work Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri laser
    Hi Folks,
    Looking for advice if possible please.
    I'm replacing most of the cooling system in my 2.0 pinto,( running slightly hot and steam on windscreen when heater is on) so thought I might as well go the full Monty and change the rad too, looking at a coolex one, the bumf sounds good, 10mm thicker, better cooling etc. anybody using one? any problems?
    So following that, I've 2 questions,
    I'm going to fit an 82 degree stat, and already got an electric fan with 85 on, 82 off, sensor switch, do I place the sensor at the top of the rad or bottom? I've been told top is best as it can be 10 degrees hotter than the bottom,( that's standard on modern cars?) but also bottom is best as it lets the rad do its job before the fan kicks in.
    I'm erring toward bottom, as its a cooler stat and the engine is designed to work around 90 deg, so even if it is 10 deg hotter its not going to boil with earlier opening stat?
    Any thoughts?
    Can I fit a higher pressure rad cap and lose the expansion tank? I'm planning bike carbs so will need to fit an oil catch tank, and that looks a decent place to fit it?

Cheers

Phil

2. robt100

robt100 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Lots of ongoing projects
    Hi Phil,

I cant help much with the thermostat question, I think there's a link in the technical archive by @Clockwork Orange that gives some details. But as the for replacement radiator.... I had similar to you, the car sat just on the edge of the red all the time, made it a laugh in mid-summer traffic in London with the heaters on full to keep the car from overheating :eek: I replaced it with one from this guy https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-CAP...337162?hash=item3a7f54580a:g:3loAAOxyaTxRQC-Q it worked a treat! Never got hot even in traffic, and that's with a dodgy viscous fan;) bought an uprated 2.8 version for my 2.9 cosworth engine that's now in the Capri.

Phil Work likes this.
  3. Phil Work

Drives:
    Capri laser
    Cheers Rob, I'll have a look after work.

4. Phil Work

Drives:
    Capri laser
    that's where I bought the new heater matrix too, never seen a Capri rad advertised then.

5. Kris

Kris Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    VW Golf TDI 2008
    Coolex are brilliant. I have one in mine and I know of at least 5 others that do too. Phone them direct and you save on eBay fees!

Phil Work likes this.
  6. Phil Work

Drives:
    Capri laser
    Cheers Kris,
    appreciate the phone direct tip too.