Efi (again)

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by ThatGuy, 12 May 2019.

1. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MX5 daily, Mk3 Capri (project yet again)
    I've now sourced a 2.8 tank for my engine swap, I plan on sticking a new fuel pump on it so I have 2 questions.
    1. How does the 2.8 tank work in relation to fuel lines too and from the pump/tank
    And 2. Is I just a matter of lines from the tank go to the fuel pump and then to the engine and return lines go back to the tank?
    Sorry if it seems a stupid question but I've never done a huge amount to fuel systems and I don't actually know the configuration of a 2.8 tank so I don't even know how it goes in a standard capri Haha
    Cheers for any help

2. mgentry90

mgentry90 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    My 2.8i tank setup:

Tank - exits big pipe on drivers side straight into pump - Out of pump into smaller dia hose and into fuel filter which I've mounted under the car not far from the tank - out of filter and all the way up to the engine bay where it goes on to fuel rail - returns from engine via fuel pressure regulator (standard on my engine) - hose under car all the way onto the passenger side of fuel tank which is a small pipe.

Standard setup may differ

3. ThatGuy

Drives:
    Thank for that bud,

Do you mean it comes out of the tank from the pipe to the right of the sender unit? If that's the case what do the outlets on the sender unit do?

4. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Sorry, I made the assumption it was an injection fuel tank you had.

Is it not an injection tank with the swirl pot inside it? If it's a carb tank I think it's different to what I said and I'm no help. Sorry. The injection tank would have a small return pipe next to sender and a big outlet pipe on other end (drivers side): a carb tank would possibly have a return pipe next to the sender and an outlet within the sender which goes to carburettor?

5. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Wait a sec.. it was me you bought the tank off, it should be like I said before and not have a pipe in the fuel sender.

6. ThatGuy

Drives:
    Yea man I bought the tank from you Haha okay that perfect I kind of know what I'm doing now Haha. Next question is how have you connected onto the fuel pump and fuel rail? As I've been told that those clips wont and will leak? I was going to run the lines in braided anyway but how do I go about connecting them either end?

Last edited: 12 May 2019
  7. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Fuel pump has a barbed connector screwed into it and a jubilee clip over the 5/16" I'd fuel hose. The engine side is also a jubilee clip/ hose over a metal pipe on my engine fuel rail. Hasn't caught fire yet.

I have the fuel filter inline in between my pump and engine but it has the same barbed fittings screwed into it. Non of the fancy screw on fittings or anything

8. ThatGuy

Drives:
    Ah that awesome mate thanks for that, I really appreciate it :) should actually be able to put it all together now