Exhaust ground clearance 2.8i Special

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by Zebedee, 30 October 2019.

1. Zebedee

Zebedee Member Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 2.8i Special
    Hi folks. With the Capri Club 3” Performance system fitted the ground clearance from the bottom of the manifold to the road is roughly 100mm and 70mm from the base of the back box to the road.

Having never owned a Capri before is this pretty normal? It certainly makes speed bumps a challenge. If I went back to a standard system what clearance would I expect?

2. jetstream

jetstream Registered Capri Power Member

Just been out to the garage and after squirming on the floor like Finn,
    I have Janspeeds fitted to my 2.8 and at the front is the same as yours 100mm
    and at the back where you have 70mm mine is 130 mm clearance.

3. Zebedee

Drives:
    Capri 2.8i Special
    Thanks for checking your car. I take it you’re running standard suspension on 13” rims?

I think I’ll have a good look at my rear springs. I suspect they might be a bit saggy.

4. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Electrical ??? what like .. bzztt Feck !!! Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    is the distance from the car underbody to the exhaust the same as was, or have you mounted it too low ??

5. Zebedee

Drives:
    Capri 2.8i Special
    I’ve only had the car for a few weeks and it came with the CCI exhaust on it.

6. Not_Anumber

Not_Anumber Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.8i 5 speed. 2x previous Capris.
    If the CCI exhaust is similar to the Sportex one then it should fit with adequate ground clearance after some time and patience to get the various exhasut sections positioned right in relation to each other.

If you are hitting speed bumps then you definitely need to get under the car, loosen all the clamps and spend an hour or so getting the exhaust re positioned. Unfortunately a lot of people stick on a new exhaust to sell the car without driving it far enough to realise that it knocks on the springs/ body/ speed bumps etc. Get the car on axlse stands (unless you are much thinner than me) then all you need is a 13mm spanner and some time.

Clockwork Orange likes this.
  7. Zebedee

Drives:
    Capri 2.8i Special
    Ok, I’ll get the spanner out and give it a shot. My plan for next year is to change the noisy brute for something more civil but keep the 3” manifold. Good idea?

8. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Electrical ??? what like .. bzztt Feck !!! Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    in effect - if you attach something, make sure it fits properly !
    or at least fits adequately..
    unfortunately theres lots of innocent first time owners coming on board now that haven't got the experience or specific knowledge required to
    ensure they are getting the best out of Capri ownership ... but these are also the young guns with an inquiring mind ..

.... the interested will survive !!

9. Laser

Laser Laser Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    1.6 Laser and 2.0S
    weak rear springs … massive effect on exhaust clearance as the car will ground as it noses up to go over hump and landing will bump causing the grief believe it or not even on a pinto with standard pipes once the rears sag you can do the same thing with just one passenger in the back ! on 13 inch rims and 185/70's correctly inflated !

10. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    with the after market systems they will always have a problem with the perfect fit as they are only close(some times) to the original spec i had a cci system and the manifold was a nightmare, ive also used the Sportex system again the manifold was a nightmare to clear the steering shaft, and the rearbox either hit the chassis or was to close to the rear tyre so mods were needed to the system as for ground clearance ive always had the car lower than standard so cant really give advice on distance, but i did hear a ting ting ting from cats eyes on the centre line in the road

11. Not_Anumber

Not_Anumber Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.8i 5 speed. 2x previous Capris.
    +1 for tired rear leaf springs being a contributory cause. I remember now that my exhaust was much easier to get to a near perfect fit once i had replaced the leaf springs. Its always worth checking them as these cars ride so much better with new rear springs.