First Time Rebuild

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by Foxc, 29 August 2015.

1. Foxc

Foxc Registered Capri Power Member

Hi guys, long time no post. Been pretty busy this last year with uni, work and travelling so the capri has been neglected once again. I know a lot of this info is scattered all over the forum but...

I'm hoping to do a engine rebuild over my winter break, I don't want to spend silly money but do want to do a pretty comprehensive job.

So any general advice would be great. I want to buy up whatever bits I can in advance so that I can crack on once I start. What bits am I going to 100% need to replace and what should I keep an eye on? What do people think of skimming and porting on the 2.8?

This will be a first for me but something I really want to have a go at and learn inside out. So any advice would be great, parts, cost ideas and places to get bits!

Thanks in advance!

**edit** worth noting I'm also chucking the injection system in for a shiny carb.

2. Liverpool-Lad

Liverpool-Lad Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    208bhp 2.8i Turbo
    Do you mean a full rebuild as in stripping it into component parts?

3. skoze

skoze Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1979 3.0 S
    Would you like a can of worms to go with that? ;)

It's one of those 'how far do you go' questions really... See what it needs, but generally the more you replace the better the end result will be. Why are you wanting to rebuild it?

I'm currently doing a top end rebuild on my Essex, would've loved to have done a full build but some parts are hard to find and I just didn't have the budget to do the bottom end as well right now. Having said that, I did completely strip it and see where I was in terms of bearing wear for example - it ran nicely with no knocks and there's still plenty of life in them after inspection, so i'm happy to put it back to work as it came out.

Pull it apart, inspect it, see what it wants and how deep your pockets are and find the point where those two things meet. Always a good excuse to upgrade things, too...

4. Laser

Laser Laser Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    1.6 Laser and 2.0S
    I would invest in a decent engine hoist for starters followed by decent tools

5. twin turbo

twin turbo Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    cosworths, capries, xr4i
    this is a hard question... first you need to find out what actually is needed to fix. like crank and rod bearings is often better to leave in if "okay" than change if you do not get the tolerance 100% correct...

bottom end
    check bores, pistons, oilpump, timinggears, camshaft, crank, rods(and bearings on all 3)+++ change the rodbolts to arp or similar, since they are the first weak link Down there...

heads
    valves, valveguids, valvemechanisem, condition of heads

if going for carbs, you need to change the camshaft to a carb Version. skimming the heads is okay, but maybe better to skimm the Block insted to rise compression.

6. rossored86

rossored86 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    new focus RS is amazing
    Mate

I am always in awe of the chaps on here who rebuild from the bottom up -- the metal workers , welders and painters plus the leccy techs etc --their knowledge holds me inspired-- they are also hugely generous with advice which in truth most of us would feel embarrassed asking in any garage or repair work shop.

Had my car for years (nearly 30) and the bit I have learned is to know what I can do at sensible price and then the bits to pass on to some one else.I have broken many bits in the past simply due to lack of foresight or experience = £££££££££££££

My balance of consideration is -- what would the cost of my investment be eg in parts, paint or a difficult to replace parts etc while I was in my process of learning (refurbishing / rebuilding) and then if I messed something up and had to do it again or replace the component... would I still be in pocket or would it have been cheaper and easier to have the work farmed out.....its a finite calculation --get it wrong and then the sleepless nights ensue and a project ends up being sold as such.....

Yes the fun of learning but that can be a costly exercise -- the knowledge of the troops on here was gained with a cost and that is often the cost that the novice has to catch up on....

Never a negative, but -- but before ya go tearing things down do your maths -- what can you spend (afford) as to what truly needs doing now (immediate) and then what can be staged over time and not need repeating (eg doing more than once because it wasn’t well planned).

And never target the word CHEAP -- very old cars are not cheap to run..

If you doubt my thought process mate --shortly my car is going in for some paint tidy up work to a recommended body shop --the trim (bumpers etc) I am doing myself but the actual body work and paint matching I am leaving and paying them....plus paying on visa as I have come back if they get it badly wrong... my insurance if you like.

CP --

PS --gladly help where i can --and if you are near Norfolk I will come and lend my sensible old hands and a garage / workshop full of kit

7. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    engine stand full gasket kits top end and bottom end if your taking the crank out then it might pay to replace main and bigend bearings new set of core plugs always a good idea as you have no idea what condition your old ones will be in if you need a hand give me a shout im not far from you as you well know and will always give you a hand with out a worry
    Rog

8. rossored86

rossored86 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    new focus RS is amazing
    Mate

Didn’t note your location --gladly help --Im near Stoke Holy Cross.......

cp

9. Foxc

Foxc Registered Capri Power Member

Cheers for all the advice guys. Sorry late reply been flat out at work! I can see I may have been a bit vague with all this! That's basically because I have never ventured into taking apart an engine really (plus don't mind sounding a bit stupid here as everyone is helpful :boxedin: ). Like I said I am not out to spend a wedge, so anything that could be inspected and not replaced is good. I have a spare engine as it is so the plan was to carb convert it and while there tidy it up and service it to a point where hopefully I can put it in. In the knowledge it should last a while + gain any reasonable performance increase.

Also big thanks for the offers of hands on help too guys!!

Charlie