Fuel Lines

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by 04grayst, 8 December 2015.

1. 04grayst

04grayst Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1987 2.8i Special, Subaru Legacy 2.0 Sports Tourer, Borrows: Defender 110
    Hi all, with the horror stories about the high levels of ethanol in modern fuel meeting old fuel lines, has anyone replaced theirs with an upgrade from standard? I'm now genuinely worried about my 2.8 having seen pictures of cars going up in flames. How big a job is it to change them all and what would people recommend? I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount, but it's also not something to scrimp on methinks

Cheers
    Stephen

2. Vernon240

Vernon240 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    RS3100 Mk 2 347 V8
    I replaced all my lines with Teflon hoses as a precaution. I've not heard of any issues with the hard plastic lines that most standard cars use under the car, front to back, and that includes the 2.8i. Where you need to be concerned is where there is any rubber braided hose used in the system. Typically these join hoses to carb barbs etc. I'm not sure there is much in the way of braided lines in a 2.8i though. I know of tank to pump and that is it, but I'm sure there are people who know the 2.8i better than me. Any braided hose should be replaced with SAE J30 R9 from a reputable supplied with their name on the hose. Examples are Codan and Goodyear. Don't buy hose off ebay or anywhere else where all that is on the hose is 'SAE J30 R9'. It's potentially unsafe and you have no idea where it comes from. It could be any old rubber hose with something printed on it, so make sure you know the brand, and if not, google before buying to find out if it's the right stuff.

3. saf_capri

saf_capri Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk3 XE
    I've used tricofuel line from my tank into the boot area. Looks like garden hose but a lot thicker wall. Complies with all specs. Thankfully my brother-in-law owns a hose company.

If I route in side the car I will use ptfe smooth bore with braid. As it will go down the sill. Ends can be swaged if needed then.