Goblin Capri

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by Laser Capri, 1 February 2018.

1. Laser Capri

Laser Capri Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.0 Laser and 3.0s
    Did anyone else watch on ‘quest’ the ‘Goblin Works Garage’ program where they did a capri tonight? I’m not sure if it was a new episode or a repeat so apologies if this has been done to death already.

The end result wasn’t my cup of tea but each to their own on that. The annoying thing was firstly they took a really tidy 2.8 to start with and then cut it about. If you are gunna cut it, get a tired one. Then instead of showing us the genuinely impressive work that must have gone into putting that brand new mustang v8 in, the gearbox, what they did with the front and rear brakes, what they did with the suspension and rear axle etc, we had two full segments on them getting a tattoo and putting up a sign... weird

It would be great to have seen more of the mechanicals but all the restoration programmes now are about them going shopping for wheels and having a disagreement about something. Such a shame.

2. acepower84

acepower84 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk3 2.1, Mk2 2.0S, Octavia VRS
    I quite liked the end product. Not sure if it was worth 40k but it was certainly different. I would personally have gone for a black grille but thats my opinion. 95 percent of capri owners appear to have made their mind up - they hated it!
    As for the car in question, better to start with a good solid shell than spend more than half your time welding up a crapper. Granted it was a late E special but its not the last one knocking around.
    These programmes are just made for TV audiences so ive got used to the fact they aren't going to show the more technical and car related stuff. They may however learn in a few years time what car enthusiasts actually want from car related programmes...here is to hoping.

3. MarkW

MarkW Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 3.0S Janspeed Turbo, Green '81', Ford Mondeo Graphite 'Daily'.
    I have been watching. Well where do I start? It is each to their own and owners can do what they like to their car however I don't agree with this. £40k? You can buy that mustang that engine is from for less then that. I dont mind a modern engine being put in if the car deserves it, by that I mean the old one is dead or the car has been bastardised previously however to do this to a 1987 2.8i Special was at least provocative and at most damn right disrespectful to cars. I haven't liked a single car that they have done so far and I don't like the presenters, they are boring counter fit 'Gas Monkey Garage' wannabes! I cannot see the point, if you buy a capri surely it's for the experience, for nostalgia and joy of ownership, if you change a car like this beyond all recognition then it stops becoming a Capri and then what is the point in the first place? As I say there are many reasons for fitting a modern engine but if you do fit say an alloy Zetec etc for reliability reasons things like this then you don't really change much. They changed the whole car, waste of time effort and money except I watched it so from a TV perspective it worked. I think some cars should be given heritage status like buildings, I believe with mine whilst I am the owner I am merely a custodian. As already said on another forum there are plenty of other cars that could have been used for this; they did this in the knowledge it would cause conversation and upset in the biggest classic car fraternity. Cheese eaters the lot of them, silly beards, silly tattoos, silly fake buyers and ludicrous pricing. At least with the motorbikes there is a bit of artistry and they don't waste old machines. As I have said on another forum its like fitting an electric/diesel engine into a steam train, oh and whilst your at it fit modern carriages and let it run on the modern smoothest tracks? I am waiting for the programme where they buy a modern mustang and beat the crap out of it with hammers and dollies until the bodyahells resembles a Capri!!! I bet you won't see that and really where is the difference?

I rest my case. No further questions. The jury should no retire for the verdict.

4. CapriGear

CapriGear Capri Gear Trader

Drives:
    Ford Focus, BMW 540i
    I must confess I'm with you on this Mark, maybe we're showing our age!

This was a pretty poor show, what have tattoos and shop signs got to do with building a car? utter bollocks, no sign of the engine installation, drivetrain, brake mods, nothing only nailing on arch extensions and slabbing the front, big deal.
    They can't add up either, £8k for the car and a projected spend of £16k on the build = £24k yet they say they they go for a 20% profit on the sale, well 20% on £24k doesn't add up to £40k.
    If they were touting the car at £40k then they must have spent £32k so why not be upfront with the numbers.

Others may disagree but yet again another piss poor car show unfortunately.

5. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    Well enough described now, I don't have to watch the show to agree with Mark and Martin. Once it's made so painfully obvious that a show was made only to profit by wasting your time, why waste your time?

6. Laser Capri

Laser Capri Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.0 Laser and 3.0s
    They could have bought a brand new mustang which I believe are about 38k and then bought a capri for 5k so not a lot more than the 40k they were charging for the whole thing.

Good job they were going to make loads of money back on that 2.8 engine because people are always after them.

I would love to see the underneath of that car though and see how the mustang gearbox fitted etc that would have been genuinely interesting to see how they fitted everything and what they did for suspension. But when you have an Oscars winning tattoo scene complete with ‘banter’ to fit in you can’t complain.

7. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
    thanks for saving me some time, after seeing this featured in last months classic ford, i recorded it, so i shan't bother watching it now

8. malcolmrs2000

malcolmrs2000 Malcolm RS Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Fords
    Wheelers Dealers and Car SOS although both could improve, are far better than this 'I'm trying to be an American car show' wannabe!!,

9. bruce_19

bruce_19 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Corsa Black Edition (daily), Capri 2.0 S (needs work)
    Watched it last night and I’m on the fence with the car because I like old school looks with new tech but the front spoiled it for me.

As for the people on the show they don’t get you enthusiastic about it and in stead of showing you tattoos, drag racing and drawings they could be showing you more of what’s being done to the car.

I did like the fact they showed you some of the custom work being done.

Will watch the next one and see if it gets any better.

10. kenny james

kenny james Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    3.0 GXL
    Its not that long since all the cars from the show appeared on ebay, the selling of the cars must be staged. I liked the finished car but would have liked to know more about bonding the arches, filling and then painting but as stated the majority of folk watching this program will be more interested in the back stories. They did mention that it would cost £700 to £800 to re-trim the interior - would love to know who trimmed it and could they do mine for the same price? Pretty sure the mechanic was on another show with the big lad who now co-hosts with Drew from the antique program, they buy classic cars, restore and sell at vast profits - its dire.

11. MarkW

MarkW Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 3.0S Janspeed Turbo, Green '81', Ford Mondeo Graphite 'Daily'.
    Is that Turbo pickers? If so I actually quite liked that. I dont mind Paul Cowland.

12. kenny james

kenny james Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    3.0 GXL
    That's it - Turbo Pickers has become "Salvage Hunters - Classic Cars" and "Goblin Garage".

13. panch

panch Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.0 LTR LASER. FJR1300. XR4I SIERRA
    Hi well in short what a load of SHXX has Forrest Gump says that is all I have to say about that .

14. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
    i just wish that we could all watch a decent car restoration without all the bullshit and sensationalism , i am enjoying the new wheeler dealers as i like Ant's enthusiasm and his skills, shame it's in US but enjoying it so far.
    also like Fuzz in car s.o.s tim is a bit over the top but still a reasonable watch , also loving grand tour, most of the US shows are a mix of mechanics and stupidity if you want bad acting watch a soap opera, me i would just prefer a good honest restoration without the bullshit

15. panch

panch Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.0 LTR LASER. FJR1300. XR4I SIERRA
    Yeah man

16. Not_Anumber

Not_Anumber Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.8i 5 speed. 2x previous Capris.
    What Trevster said. Lets have Car SOS with a little more coverage of the actual work thats carried out, a few more technical tips from Fuzz.

Also, bring in Guy Martin as co presenter and executive producer. I'd pay to watch that.

17. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Electrical ??? what like .. bzztt Feck !!! Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    so much debate ..
    the problem as I see it is .. there was no accurate info.. there was a start, and an end (modified thing) ..
    IF.. they had actually put the TV episode together by showing the work, and explained how they got the end result I think it would have been a better program..
    too much hate, with no evidence of bodge ..
    unfortunately there is no evidence of good work either . .
    so there will be loads of unanswered debate.. that's show business I suppose, but instead of going off on one in this forum (or any other Capri forum) ..
    why not visit GWG facebook page and state your case on there.. without getting over-emotional.. keep the comments rational, but questioning ..
    that way there may be answers forthcoming ..
    I have already asked if they did document the works, and whether it would be possible to broadcast that sometime in the future ..

18. twin turbo

twin turbo Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    cosworths, capries, xr4i
    Tv shows is made mainly for pepole that have no idia how much work it is to build a car proper... Only us idiots that bother to use all our sparetime and money on cars, care about how the work get done, and we Are a minority of Who se those shows...

19. mrsquid

mrsquid Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    hybrid, electric, supercharged custom mk1 capri
    I still need to watch the show but on the first glance (looking the pictures)
    I really like the end result, (there, I said it :), it looks mean and different )
    Can't comment on the quality of the work since I haven't seen the background.
    If it was a rare model in great condition it would be a shame to modify, if it not than go for it in my book,
    If they have the budget they could get a real rot box for a project, but I presume it is not that kind of show where they go into restoration aspect.
    Oh and the selling price, don't know how much some of our cars should be worth then when we engineer and fiddle with every last piece of the build not to mention the sacrifice and years involved building.
    probable by that calculation would worth 500 000 pounds :D

The only issue that I have whit the build that some part of Capri community has double standards, I see on the Capri world so much negativity towards that build, how much they hate it and so on, and then somebody local (small folk) makes the "ugly modified Capri" and everybody goes berserk how great it is, and I am like "Am I missing something"

and at the end it is television and show, they need to create something that will entertain people.
    How many classic cars have been and are being destroyed for filming movies, for a single car chase they can destroy up to 7+ classic cars. and the internet doesn't go wild after that.