gunson CO meter

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by rossored86, 5 June 2020.

1. rossored86

rossored86 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    new focus RS is amazing
    Just a thought ..

Some years ago ibought a Gunson CO meter --the balck plastic box unit --it was on sale and I never ever bothered to use it..

However --last years MOT (1999) the station said my fuel mix was very rich.

So -- i went home read the instructions and used the GUNSONS -- tweaked the long allen key against the read out on the box and 2.8 fuel distributer --in fact the allen key had to be wound back some way which was alarming..

However the result was that the car starterd better and ran better etc. --quite simpy i had cranked the fuel mix up some while back and althiough the engine worked it was just by guessing ad not very efficient

Today (05/06/2020) took the car in for this years MOT --passed no problem --best bit was that he tester (same good bloke as last year ) said the hydrocarbon emmisions and fuel mix were excellent ..

Shows that a little plastic box of tricks can work very well --i am now a GUNSONS Co meter convert..

cp

2. malcolmrs2000

malcolmrs2000 Malcolm RS Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Fords
    Do you have a product name..did a search on eBay but not sure what I should be looking for!!

3. rossored86

Drives:
    new focus RS is amazing
    this is it --i got it in halfords --i think they got the4 price very wrong --but even at full price i believe they work if you folow the instructios and let the unit settle etc --read the instructions and follow them..

https://www.amazon.com/Gastester-Exhaust-Analyzer-Portable-powered/dp/B002XF1VW6

cp

4. 1970 sean

1970 sean Established Member Capri Power Member

Drives:
    c class, puegeot partne,r focus,wishing my 1970 capri
    thats the updated mk 1 version they did a mk2 version with a few more functions on and a bit more accuracy ,good kit if used proper

5. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    Gunsons kit is generally really excellent..
    the colourtune kit is absolutely brilliant.. basically its a glass spark plug, so you can see the actual ignition and colour of the fuel burn ..
    My Dad used this back in the early 70s, and tuned my V8 with it in 1998.. we didnt tune it again for 10 years !!
    when I get my engine back together again, I'll have my Dad on it again, because no matter how hard I try, cant ever get down to his tuning success ..
    that auld Buzzard is gonna be 80 in September this year, still maintains his own.. the 280, and his V70 ..

rossored86 and 1970 sean like this.
  6. malcolmrs2000

Drives:
    Fords
    Can you bring him through and tune my Essex??

7. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    I got his kit here (shhh !!)
    would be fun sticking it on yours for sure ..
    and the Essex was alwys his favorite engine ..

8. Finn

Finn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.9 Mk 3 Capri. 2.8 Mk 3 Capri
    A666 runs rich, Halfords here I come! Finn.

9. malcolmrs2000

Drives:
    Fords
    I borrowed a gas analyser last year but I believe my mechanics skill is diminishing faster than my memory!!

10. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    looked at these before but always steered away, as i didnt think they would be much cop, but on reading this my mind has been changed, and as soon as im back to work its on my to get list

11. rossored86

Drives:
    new focus RS is amazing
    Chaps --a good read -- clockworks dad bit is a good read and very old school...........Took my RS focus to FORD and they couldnt get the reader to communicate, so much for modern technology...

Im not on here much as we were in the old days -- I thank nature that i have my gararge and old car and workshop hobbies -- i have been at work (NHS and proud) but with it being so quiet in the area and everywhre shut im gald of ebay and amazon for stuf and bits.

last job today was to take off the coolant sender location head --the sender had jammed and on removal and snapped etc so took off the head to fully remove and replace (warning --dont overtighten the sender units they are taper fit) --im hoping this was the reason fo varible temprature reads -- im sure its not the volt stoabilizer but that may be next to check -- new white top temperature sender coming from Burton...

Glad ive been at work --but in some ways wish i had been at home -- never mind, next year i finnish to retire after 47 years of NHS service.

PS

If any body is thinking of a pressure washer --Give KRANZEL a look --the 1150 is a hellava piece of kit -- not cheap but for scraggy old gits with no kids and no major bills its a lifetime purchase..

glad to see the old names are all around

Best wishes --stay safe a wash yer hands..
    cp

12. tazla

tazla Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk2 3.0s
    Hi alan how does it work on a v6 essex.place it on the left hand side/bank of engine.adjust the carb for that side.
    Then same for the other?

Last edited by a moderator: 7 June 2020
  13. capri_turbo

capri_turbo Registered Capri Power Member

Had one for years... a nice big green one... never failed an MOT on emissions since I've had the gas tester...

14. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    minds made up going to invest in one

15. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    make sure you get one for each bank..
    that way you can visually balance the carbs on both sides at the same time..
    pure pain in the t!ts doing one side at a time, because adjust one, the other does react ..
    you need to be watching them both at the same time

16. malcolmrs2000

Drives:
    Fords
    Maybe that’s where I was going wrong...doing one side then the other

17. tazla

tazla Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk2 3.0s
    Always a catch.double the money for two.just my luck

18. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    its well worth it .. the tool is designed to do a particular job.. no problem with that,, so with a V-engine, you really need to see what is happening each side..
    on my RV8.. we fitted a new manifold & carbs (SU's) when one of the original Strombergs failed ..
    My Father did it once.. the fuel consumption was instantly better from before, when the Strombergs were working..
    but instantly way better than the pinto I was running at the time.. so definitely the way forward ..
    and bearing in mind there's no wearing parts, its a tool for life ..
    think of it as one tool for your own engine, 1 plug & mirror tube per bank ..
    and the instruction sheet will outlast you because one set is filed in a sealed envelope, while the other is in the garage working ..
    just that once you have used the kit once, and got the result, you never read the instructions again !!

19. malcolmrs2000

Drives:
    Fords
    Or find a really nice helpful guy from (sunny) Lanark whose dad can tune your Essex for you!!?? “-)

Clockwork Orange likes this.
  20. robp

robp Member Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 1.6 Cabaret
    Thanks for this post. It has reminded me that I have one of these gadgets in a box somewhere. I bought it about 20 years ago and used it to set the mixture on my Capri back then.

I'm going to dig it out again and use it to test my Capri now. I've just put a new carb on it so it'll be good to see how close that is currently.