Handbrake Handle Getting Hot?

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by matty 1, 24 July 2012.

1. matty 1

matty 1 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    ford capri 3.0s
    has any one got any ideas the lever goes hot then cold? i have checked gear box oil was fine ?????

2. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    Brake oil is empty, I bet... :lol:

No joke, the handbrake handle is getting hot? Then cold? That might be the best question since the last one "Shadow" had. I'd gently, quietly park the car, far from any school, hospital or library, and move away, ever so subtly... :cigar:

3. Cashy

Cashy Registered Moderator

Drives:
    1981 met green 4spd 2.8i
    This one seems a very odd thing..very very odd.
    but lets take a logical view, the heat is being transferred to the handbrake lever, but from where?

Is the transmission tunnel (metal bodywork handbrake lever assembly is bolted to) getting hot as well?

another thought is the handbrake cable, because apart from the bodywork this the only other thing connected to the lever itself. for this kind of heat to be transferred to the lever your rear brake drums would be glowing red hot, and theres no mistaking the small of burning brakes?.

I have wild theories running through my head that for some reason and somehow the lever is part of a shortcircuit, which is madness as any circuit fuse would have blown, unless you have the battery in the boot and the 12v heavy duty wire to starter motor is somehow chaffing and shorting to bodywork, ( if this was the case yer battery would be dead very quickly and most probably the insulation would have melted off the wire....and you'd be having a fire!).

errr...thats it, I'm fresh out of theories now :crazy:

4. Laser

Laser Laser Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    1.6 Laser and 2.0S
    heat rises off the back of the gear box and warms the transmission tunnel ..up into the lower arm off the handbrake lever guess your capri has no centre console ?
    Centre console capris dont get hot hand brakes they just get warm centre arm rest the heat rises into the centre console bin and the metal frame that makes up the frame gets the heat
    also the base of the gear lever can get hot .. on 5 speeds and 4 speeds ..
    only one that gets away with this is the 2.0S rod box that gear lever stays cold as its remote
    and the tunnel is sealed from the gaitor as its just a plate holding the lever assembly

5. rossored86

rossored86 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    new focus RS is amazing
    good rational answer
    plus the ambient temp recently across uk has been hot --- well it has were i am

so if car has stood in sun or just is warmer then heat transfer will be more noticable eg you are starting with a warm car and total metal structure and interior. plus heat dissipation becomes a different beast in the warmer weather. car cooling systems are under more stress in the summer than winter for example.

possibly worth checking gear box oil level - the oil lubricates and does also relate to ability to handle gearbox temperature especially if its very low on oil.
    cp

6. matty 1

Drives:
    ford capri 3.0s
    cheers mate nothing to worrie about then thougt gear box was on its way out

7. matty 1

Drives:
    ford capri 3.0s
    cheers mate had sun roof open :D

8. matty 1