Head In Hands. (Rant)

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by Jbrooks28, 20 April 2012.

1. Jbrooks28

Jbrooks28 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk1 capri
    Disaster. A bolt has ruined my engine, a simple tiny thing has got into one of my valves and wrecked unbelievable damage. Pistons scored, Valves and seals damaged, block damaged, broke my cambelt which caused damage to my heads aswell. Huge damage. Rebuild cost £3500. Where did the bolt come from, well a certain company in dartford forgot to tighten up the bolts on my exhaust manifold.

Absolute nightmare.

Rant over.

2. garethp9404

garethp9404 Registered Capri Power Member

how did a exhaust bolt end up inside the cylinder?

3. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    Horrors ! But I'm not getting how an exhaust manifold bolt could get into the engine. If another shop would certify that fact for you, the one in Dartford could be deemed (in court, anyway) as responsible for funding your repairs. In any case, it's a major setback, sorry to hear you have to deal with it....Best wishes,
    Gary

4. Wideboy

Wideboy Registered Capri Power Member

Perhaps I've been missing something all my driving life..I thought the only thing that would happen if an exhaust manifold bolt wasn't tightened would be the exhaust might blow at the manifold..Somebody please feel free to point me in the right direction if I'm wrong..I've never heard of an exhaust manifold bolt getting into a bore of an engine...Perhaps if something was dropped into the carb or down the spark plug hole but even then I would assume it would be evident from the first fire up..???

5. Rainbowfrank

Rainbowfrank Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Something else now...
    That's terrible mate... Not good.

Also confused about how it happened?

6. Cashy

Cashy Registered Moderator

Drives:
    1981 met green 4spd 2.8i
    I'm also confused as to how this could come about with exhaust manifod being loose :stunned:

7. jajoinery

jajoinery Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    311cdi mercedes sprinter, 85 2.1 laser..
    £3500 to rebuild a pinto Is top dollar too mate, hope they ain't pulled down you're pants..
    presuming it is a pinto? even so £3500 is a rediculous amount for a rebuild..

8. j4r4lly

j4r4lly Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1983 Capri 2.8i, 6X previous Capri's, Ford Kuga & Fiesta
    Whatever has happened it's bad news and I hope you get it sorted.

Still, like the others have said, I can't see how an exhaust manifold bolt has done this. I also note that you have a Mk1, most of which had a Kent engine which have a timing chain, not a cam belt. It could be a facelift model or have another engine fitted but it's not all making sense.

£3.5K is also a crazy amount to pay for a Pinto rebuild unless it's highly tuned.

Get a second opinion if I were you................

9. Jbrooks28

Drives:
    Mk1 capri
    Pinto, nah I've got a cosworth yb mate in my mk1. Check out the restoration thread. No one knows it's a bit odd tbh, I was driving on the motorway, huge sound lost compression and power. Got it flatbedded back, garage had a look at it a bolt was inside. Two bolts were missing from the exhaust manifold, the rest of the bolts are odd on the manifold. The bolt in the engine doesn't match any of the others on the manifold (some of them don't match it anyway) and yet there are no bolts missing anywhere else. Odd.

10. jajoinery

jajoinery Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    311cdi mercedes sprinter, 85 2.1 laser..
    so it's still a pinto then fella..

11. Jbrooks28

Drives:
    Mk1 capri
    I had the whole works done to it though, long stud conversion, Mahle pistons etc. Part prices of some of those parts are not cheap, plus I'm getting my block remachined the bore is a little out as well.
    Edit: damn iPad

12. Vernon240

Vernon240 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    RS3100 Mk 2 347 V8
    Really sorry to hear this..I know those YB's are not cheap to build.

I'm having difficulty in believeing it was an exhaust manifold bolt though. Assuming it was a bolt that caused all of this and the engine is running a turbo and air filter, I find it hard to believe it shook loose, was sucked up and through the air filter, made it through turbo, through the intercooler and into the engine. I would check the turbo. If that is undamaged, I think it looks like a bolt was dropped/left in the induction system downstream of the turbo. Hope you get to the bottom of this one.

13. Ms Anna

Ms Anna Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri V8, Capri 3.0S , Sierra Cosworth, R33 skyline , 1969 Mustang
    Gutted for you , Yb's are amazing to drive but I dont care what anyone says , they are problematic and never that far away from a rebuild. They always have the habit of simple failures costing the earth to put right.

Im with Vernon on this , I cant see how a maifold bolt would would get in there ? Only way I see is through the inlet side , are you running a 2wd or 4wd Cosworth manifold ??

14. garethp9404

garethp9404 Registered Capri Power Member

its not a exhaust bolt unless some one delibrately destroyed your engine

15. Jbrooks28

Drives:
    Mk1 capri
    I honestly don't know where the bolt came from, no other bolts are missing but the exhaust manifold ones but I can't see how it got in either. Its annoying but its happened no use wondering, the damage is done. I'm running a 2wd manifold btw. To be fair I'm sure it will be all fine when rebuilt and when the boost kicks in and I get a smile again. To be fair you think rebuilding a yb is expensive, you want to see the quote I got to rebuild my cosworth gaa. [​IMG]

16. WaxDaddy

WaxDaddy Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.9 '28valve' Cosworth Capri
    I can't actually imagine how ANY bolt would end up inside the engine like that? Suppose it matters not now the damage is done but still its an odd one... afaik there are no bolts at all that would be in a position to get inside the valve like that?

Unless the belt snapped first and all the damage is a result of that?

17. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    I'd guess the bolt was dropped, hopefully unnoticed, during assembly of the motor. Still, two manifold bolts missing and others loose, that's an obvious oversight that should not have happened. If it did, why think that it would be the only mistake? <_<

18. Dazzler666

Dazzler666 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk.3 2.8i Capri (A-reg)
    I would think you would notice though if you had a bolt or piece of metal bouncing round in one on the bores!!! Maybe the cam belt has gone, caused one of the valves to smash or dimilar and some bolt from somewhere has sheered off though fully agree, is a strange one!!!
    Good luck with getting it sorted & still sorry to hear such disasters happen .