Hello. No idea what I'm doing.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Emma, 10 August 2021.

1. Emma

Emma Member Capri Power Member

Hiya!
    Gotta preface this with, I've never worked on a car before. Not tinkered. Nothing. But fuck I'm in love and watching all these auctions go by, despite a sneaking feeling that ebay prices are a rip off.

So I thought I'd say hello, and ask just how immensly stupid would I be, to buy one of those projects that needs work and just try to learn as I go? I like learning. And tinkering with "not car" things, just... yeah.

So, how far do you reckon 3grand, no tools, no space, no experience and a pinch of misplaced optimisim can go? xD

2. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    Only a few of us know what we're doing, and we keep it a big secret who they are. :)
    EBAy prices are a rip. Spend time watching on here and getting familiar with things for free, save your money for when you're ready. You'll get an idea about tools you'll need and such. As for how immensely stupid, hard to say, without knowing if it's on an American scale of immenseness, a British scale, or a biblical scale. Hard because a lot of people close to us have noticed we don't know what we're doing, and they call us immensely stupid. ;)

Last edited: 10 August 2021
  3. Emma

British going on biblical probably ;D Ah well, at least I'll fit in. Thought as much think I'll hold off for a month or 2 until I've a better grasp of what goes for what price wise. Come to think of it that give me some time to convince the other half how much of a brilliant plan this is! Win-win :D

4. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Look at the work different members are doing, documented in the Members Cars section, and look through the Tech Archives sections for a start on the free learning I mentioned. And feel free to ask questions on here. Any time we can spend answering someone else's problems is a welcome distraction from our own. :)

5. Not_Anumber

Not_Anumber Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1983 2.8i 5 speed. 2x previous Capris.
    Welcome to the forum. It's been around for several years so its really worth investing time looking through it. The search feature is very useful because just about every conceivable question about capris have been asked and answered over the years, it makes for a very handy FAQ library.

Whats viable in terms of a project is really only limited by what you are willing to take on and learn as you are going along. Capris are not now the bargain they were a few years ago but affordable project cars do crop up. How serious is the lack of space; though a covered area is always best it is quite feasible to do quite a bit of work on cars on a driveway, just watch out for a change in the weather.

6. Emma

Cheers crash, Shall do! Thanks 4 the advice.

Lack of space is pretty serious, my current car I need to park at the side of the road, it is a pretty quiet road if that's any saving grace though. :oops:

7. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    Welcome Emma,
    Best advice to start with is get the best car you can with as little work as possible, prices of the Capri are going up but you can still find the odd driver restro i have just got mine back on the road after 5 year lay up and now use it on the road whilst doing other bits, so i is possible to do this, dont go for a big engine model they fetch premium price and you could easily end up paying 10k and think you got a bargain just to find out your going to need another 20k to just have it on the road, the 1.6 is not wanted as much as other engine sizes, even the 1.3 is now fetching high £ now, a half tidy 1.6 Laser is going to be easier to get and with nearly every part for it being able to hold off on here you wont go far wrong
    Decide also what you want to do with it, keep it standard of do personal touches to it and keep that in mind when looking for one, a standard un-molested car is going to be hard to find but they are out there, keep an eye also on the cars for sale section on here as the owners tend to keep the prices down as they know they are going to go to someone that wants one and not just to sell on to make a quick profit

8. Emma

I would like to modify it. Always did like a custom touch, buying something already modified and changing it around would be good, then I get to tweak to my heart's content, and not ruin something that's survived as standard, thanks for the recommendation! Gonna keep a look out for 1.6's an the like.

9. caprimk3

caprimk3 Richard Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mondeo Mk3, 78' Capri 2.3S
    Welcome to the forum and the chaps above have given you good advice.
    As for tools, a big 1/2" socket kit in millimeters (metric), 4 axle stands and a trolly jack goes a long way.
    Most can be done with that.
    Having a 1/4" kit is also handy for small places that does not need big tools.
    Pliers, side cutter, screwdrivers is other things I recomend if you have non of that.

I did learn by watching my late dad when I was young, and later I got bicycles, rc cars and mopeds before I go license.
    But even I pick up a trick here and there quiet often, so you will always learn something.

You can also recomending watching Youtube channels.
    Some of those learn from scratch.
    Chris Fix has awesome videos how to do things and tricks and service in general.
    Savage Garage is another one and he is young and learn as he goes. He wrenches on modern cars as Mondeo, Astra etc, but most can be applied to ours as well.

Some don't like Haynes manuals because sometimes they show removing stuff more complicated than it needs to be or inaccurate wiring diagrams etc.
    But you get the idea when they show how to remove a panel to get access to something.

And as said above, build threads of our cars is sometimes the best way to learn how how to remove stuff, where they are located and tricks to work something out.
    Our cars are simple vs modern stuff so it will be easier to learn how to do stuff than on those.
    Doorcards for example, is just the matter of removing the door lock pin on top of the doorcard if it is not the early type, removing the bezel around the door opener, remove the two screws under the armrest and flip it 90 degree and take it out. Then remove the window winder and lastly it just the matter of popping of the doorcard and lift it upwards.

Richard

10. SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA

SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK3 STRATOS SILVER 3.0 GHIA
    Welcome, buy tatty, but don't buy rotten, walk away if the car is covered in underseal where you can't properly inspect it, if only used on a small annual mileage go for a big engine ie Essex, but if an everyday user, go pinto or modified such as zetec, as for tools, I would buy Halfrauds when they are on special offer, as if you break a tool, they replace it free of charge, l bust a T40 today, but it was from my Halfrauds set, so when I'm passing I'll call in and get my freebie. There's still some reasonable priced cars out there, be patient they are out there.

11. Lord Flasheart

Lord Flasheart Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Panzer, Jeep, CBR600, 3.0 Ghia
    Welcome aboard :) .... please dont think I am pissing on your parade, your enthusiasm is refreshing & we have all had that feeling about Capris at the start of our journeys & hopefully we still do.

Just trying to put into perspective the sort of thing that is out there & highlight the challenges.

One of the chaps on another Capri forum posted this eBay link to his friends car for sale mk3 Ford Capri 2.0 Cabaret (easy project car) | eBay
    Search item number 313626572590 if my link thingy didnt work

This is probably about right what 3 grand would get you. Take a good look at the advert, seems to be honest enough chap, its quite detailed.

So after reading that ad thoroughly for what your current budget will get you, appreciating your undoubted enthusiasm & love of the Capri, is this the right thing for you & yours.

It could be something you could tackle & get on the road & enjoy, it could be a project too far.

As has been said, buy the best one you can, rusty not rotten but the more you save, the bigger the budget, the better the car will be & you will enjoy your dream all the more.

Good luck :)

12. Emma

Thanks for the advice! Real limiting factor is gonna be space I reckon, has anyone stored tools in the car or anything? Definitely nothing really expensive, as obz easier 2 nick. But I just don't have a lot of space xD Maybe the jack can live under the bed.

I've been watching the Caberet actually! First when it was on for auction and again linked from the laser forum, I wasn't sure wether that was a good deal or not, an obz a car is ideally something u see in person first. I guess the "how much of a project can I handle" factor will come into play 2, and I'll never truly know until I get something and try it out xD

Might need to just find a space to put it, take the plunge and give it a whirl. I'm not entirely sure of the legality of jacking up parked at the side of the road, but unless I can magically move that's gonna need to be an inpromptu work station.

Thanks for all the help everyone! I got some planning 2 do, an some ppl to convince :D

13. Lord Flasheart

Lord Flasheart Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Panzer, Jeep, CBR600, 3.0 Ghia
    For a car to be parked on the road it has to be taxed, insured & MOT'd I believe, so probably not really an option.

When I was looking for a Capri back in 2014, £3k would have got you a roadworthy 1.6 or 2.0 with an MOT, one of the long standing members on here who dealt with Capri's used to sell them around this price point, sadly these days for the same car you are looking at anywhere between £6-8k it would appear.

Hope you can find a suitable car to enjoy, whatever condition it starts out life in :)

14. Emma

Oof. I picked a hell of a time to start looking at them didn't I xD. Oh well, can't be helped. It'll work out, thanks again for the help :D

15. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Any time is a good time to look. But to act, timing makes a big difference. Take some time and build your wherewithal, meaning keep saving for a bigger budget and a suitable place, whether at home or a storage unit or rented garage. (As soon as you start working on the car, you'll feel more interest in security.) Stay on here, and learn while that's happening, all for free, and you'll get ever more familiar with the market so you recognize the right car when it's there. The old way of life was if you had a goal, you did a little something every day or week that would get you closer to that goal. Then, one day you'd realize that you made your goal and it brought a whole new wheelbarrow of complications. You want Capri complications to be positive. We want you to feel welcomed to Capri ownership, not cursed by it.

In case you haven't found it yet, here's a link to one of our more unique member projects. There's a wealth of creativity, resourcefulness and fun attitude that will keep you plenty busy and inspired. And most of it is broken down to how-it-was-done review pics. Learning galore, and not a minute of it will feel wasted.

http://www.capripower.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/ocd-custom-mk1-capri.39338/

16. Emma

Oh my god. This is fucking incredible. Thank you so much 4 linking!:eek:

17. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    looking for inspiration of where to go and what to do - have a look at the build threads by Elliot - that will either give major inspiration and a spur to succeed, or chase you the hell out the room!
    then have a look at Chap foose and his current 3.0S rebuild.. clear and straight forward..
    you could also have a look at the members Capri post by Gaz.. our Crash & Burn.. in particular - http://www.capripower.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/careena-post-op.22728/ - but take hankies for the finale !!

18. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    i have just been in there and was about to paste the link to Mr Elliot threads, but yet again i get beaten to it, another thread to look at is on that is also on youtube as well as on here and thats a guy called Kris who is nearing the end of his build a 2.9 V6 twin turbo Cosworth after crashing his car he went all out to build what has become an amazing machine, http://www.capripower.co.uk/forum/i...-kris’s-project-2-9s-the-reincarnation.43664/
    and then theres a veru famous Capri being refurbed which was used on a Jeromy Clarkson video a cosworth 4x4 http://www.capripower.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/b654woo-the-4x4-cosworth-capri-build.44057/

Clockwork Orange likes this.
  19. Emma

Oh I've been watching that! Figures he'd be a member xD Thanks for the threads! I'm developing quite the reading list :D