Help Identifying this old Capri.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TTF, 10 December 2020.

1. TTF

TTF New Member Capri Power Member

Drives:
    My Dug mental
    Hey folks, newbie here - long time fan of the Capri.

Can anyone help Identify this Capri? I'm looking to find (or build) a Scale Model of it as a gift for a friend. The guy driving it was her father who passed away a few years back. This photo must have been late 70s early 80s. Screenshot_20201210_014632.jpg Screenshot_20201210_013120.jpg

I think it's some kind of GL/Ghia model, possibly a 2.0 or 2.3, can't really see from the image? Mk II yeah?

I think the reg plates are from the Netherlands, but might be British Army base issue?

AFC 8123 (?)

Any hints would be hugely appreciated.

If I could find the actual car that would be cool, but would be very happy just knowing exactly which model it is.

Cheeeeers!

2. classiccapri

classiccapri Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    On the hunt for a new
    2.0 GL "mk2"

Cant find the reg on the standard vwhicke database here in the UK.

Im sure there will be a car on here that has the same spec/colour..

TTF likes this.
  3. SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA

SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK3 STRATOS SILVER 3.0 GHIA
    If it was on military plates, it will not exist, the system is there to let the police force know it belongs to a forces person and when it goes back to the owners country it is de registered.

But there is an eBay seller Koskin, that l am sure if you message him, from the Netherlands, that will be able to shed a bit more light on the registration.

TTF likes this.
  4. Not_Anumber

Not_Anumber Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1983 2.8i 5 speed. 2x previous Capris.
    It looks like standard GL Mk2 spec with the addition of the Ghia style metal/ plastic trim strip, a sunroof and a brown vinyl roof.
    It has the standard 'dartboard style' GL wheels, which Ford carried over to the Mk3, and looks like a standard interior for that spec from what I can make out. The metal/ plastic trim strip was probably an after market additi0n, glued on I would guess given that the section for the fuel filler flap is missing.

If you are looking for a model of the car you might be best to start with a Ghia spec as it will most likely have the trim strip, sunroof and vinyl roof. You can then either disguise (or ignore) the wheels as these would have been alloys on a Ghia

TTF likes this.
  5. TTF

TTF New Member Capri Power Member

Drives:
    My Dug mental
    Screenshot_20201212_022649.jpg Wow, thank you all so much! Great insights from you all!

Using that info, I found a similar enough car that was sold recently here in the UK. It shows the colour better - I think the old photo makes it more brown, I've tweaked the "new" image and they match.

Pretty sure it should be Gold. I'll try to find a Model and get the craft paint to match.

Would be cool to find the actual car, but perhaps too tempting to try and buy it back hahaha.

Screenshot_20201210_022722.jpg
    IMG_20201210_023314.jpg

6. PaulG

PaulG Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 3.0S, 2.0S and 1.6 laser, Fiesta MK2 1.1,Octavia VRS,
    I'm almost certain that the car being asked about by the op is a 2.0GL, 1976 or early '77, Arizona gold with the correct black rear upper panel that so many omit when restoring MK2's. The side rubbing strips were standard on the GL as were the wheels shown but the sunroof and tobacco vinyl roof were options.

As for the Taunus probably Signal orange.

7. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    I'd like to know how that driver in the second pic knew we'd be looking at it ?...;)

8. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    Looking at the interior id say Ghia as the GL was not fitted with those seats

9. Lord Flasheart

Lord Flasheart Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Panzer, Jeep, CBR600, 3.0 Ghia
    The N reg one for comparison is a Ghia but the original one badged as a GL being asked about, doesn't seem to have the Ghia seats as I cant see a head rests unless my eyes are failing me, which is quite possible :confused:

I thinks Paul G's assessment is pretty bloody good & wouldn't argue with any of it

10. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    i by passed the first pics to look at the last post but as stated the first pics are a GL and its on the back of the car as well

11. PaulG

PaulG Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 3.0S, 2.0S and 1.6 laser, Fiesta MK2 1.1,Octavia VRS,
    1970 sean likes this.