Help With Getting On With The Capri Projects

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by fearthecat, 2 January 2014.

1. fearthecat

fearthecat Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    himself crazy with 3 and a half Capri Ghias
    Happy new year everyone [​IMG] May I bug you for some suggestions as to how I can get going again with my long-stalled /delayed /dead Capri projects?

There's four Capris needing total restoration. I have very little money and very little time 'on site'. But I want to be doing something towards them as I can't keep them for another ten years and not do anything with them.

Do I focus on researching their past owners and sorting out expired SORNs and registration documents?
    Do I take a couple of weekends away from the family and go up to the storage place?
    If I go there, what's the first point of order... organisation? cataloging? tapping hammers and screwdrivers through bubbles?
    Or do I stay home, look after family, dream and plan out what I would like to do (this seems to be what I have already spent a lot of time doing)
    And of course there's the learning... I don't know how to do most things because I haven't had the time to put into it.

There's a lot to do. I want to do it. Where on Earth do I start? Any suggestions? Besides.. 'brew!' as that one's taken care of [​IMG]

2. mk3laserboy

mk3laserboy Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    June'11 CF, Ashes To Ashes! Soon to become a 5ltr V8custom MK2 X-pack , custom exhaust system
    If it were me mate, 1st thing I'd do, is get organised!

Get the capri's in some order of what needs doing, say most to least, see what you need..maybe you could use one as a donor car? at least that way, I reckon you'd keep some of the costs down!

Once you get back into it, it'll fall back into place! Sure they're members that live nearby that could lend a hand or 2!

3. BigJ

BigJ Registered Capri Power Member

Four cars in need of restoration is a big ask when combining it with work and family commitments.

Why not sell some off, raise cash and focus on restoring one good one that you can enjoy driving with your family?

Any pics?

4. atomic4

atomic4 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri V8 4ltr Twin turbo. W reg 3ltr S.
    Probably best to concentrate on one which you reckon would be the easiest to restore first in your opinion. :thumbup1:

5. Rainbowfrank

Rainbowfrank Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Something else now...
    Even if you were able to get them all restored, they would still cost you to maintain them on the road, as well as preventing then from rotting away again.

I think you should consider selling off 3 of them, or using any useful parts, put all focus into just one of them.

6. clicon357

clicon357 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK2 1976 2.0L GL (rotten), Mk3 1983 2.0L "S" (basically just the shell), MK3 1.6L Cabaret (nearest to being back on the road) - all in bits! Focus 2.0 Ghia Zetec estate awaiting sills. 2.0S Mondeo Duratec estate for the daily.
    Is there no way you can bring one nearer to where you live / actually at home and work on it there?

7. Vernon240

Vernon240 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    RS3100 Mk 2 347 V8
    Bit brutal, but I know I have trouble working on my cars even with the garages next to me. I have a young family that take a lot of time and my view is the cars can wait, as it won't be so long before the girls will be into their own thing and dad can play with his cars while they do more interesting things!

When I was restoring my Mk 2 in a lock up a loooong time ago, I had no attachments, so what made the deal is that the car was available, I could rent the garage it was in, it was close and I had the time, being in my early 20's and with time on my hands. It all had to come together, car, time and facilities.

In your case, I'd seriously rethink the game plan. Can you reasonably restore these cars? Are they worth anything in parts? I'd look boiling your collection down to 1/2 cars that are restorable and you can actually see a way forward to doing. If they are a long way from home, unless the family don't (and you don't) mind disappearing for days on end, it's just not going to work. I get most of my car work done on a few hrs here, an hr there, 30 mins somewhere else. It all adds up. If you can't do this and can't get to them regularly, you'll not only end up not getting them done, but you could well end up resenting them as well. Try and find somewhere local to store a car and go for one. Otherwise, off load them all and buy something a bit better when finances allow. I'd be looking at finding somewhere local I could work on one. If I couldn't do that, park the capri idea up until you can find a place local, or it's not just going to happen.

My 2c worth!

8. andyonthejob

andyonthejob Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '84 Black Capri 2.0S, '78 Signal Amber Mk3 3.0S, '78 Signal Amber Mk2 2.0S
    I'm with Daniel on this one or even consider selling all four as they will fetch a fair price collectively, then you could get your hands on a rolling resto. That way you could enjoy driving it and do some work at your house instead of having to go to the storage units.

9. ian2800

ian2800 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk2 3.0, Mk3 3.0S
    If you've never restored a car before, it's a lot of work, believe me. To try and restore four Capris with no experience or workplace is never going to work. I'd sell all four cars to be honest and then buy one that is either already on the road or needing little work to make roadworthy. That way, you can do the smaller jobs and learn a lot as you go along.

10. resto2.8i

resto2.8i Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Silver Porsche 996 Carrera 4S, black 2.8i and a mk1 3000gt xlr v8 cologne arched project
    I am struggling to get going on my mk1 project so just went out and bought a capri 2.8i with long mot and tax and said f&*k it to the older pile of expensive recycled parts, scott.

11. hoarsi

hoarsi Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    3.0s
    Its a fine juggling act between restoring cars in general and balancing family life mate.as for 4 !!! Well thats hero status!..as others have said I would concentrate at one at a time .either sell off some bits/cars or get a runner to start with. Time wise it all depends how much u can dedicate and only you or your mrs knows the answer to that one.most of us me included learn as we go , or hauve knowledgeable friends/family to call upon.my advice would be get organised .try and have a pleasent enviroment (if possible) to work in and take your time.enjoy the experiance .you will make mistakes along the way we all do, its how you rectify it that counts.get a project thread up as that helps for motervation and advice

Gd luck ! Atb si

12. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    My Man, 4 Capris needing total restoration is more work than you can deal with and keep a family happy too, and that is more important... My car is only a couple of miles from me in a good place with power and all the facilities I need, and I am finding my self-inflicted rebuild a challenge ...

so my tuppence

Get all the papers in order, documentation up to date - that you can do from in front of the TV ... then pick the best candidate, do you really need all the previous history, is there something important, or is it just interest.. in which case 888 forms to DVLA and thats that done

as for weekends away ... should only be attempted with full agreement, I would use the first one to walk round and catalogue what you have got, pick the best body, then asses what you need to fix it ... depending on what you have actually got I would be looking at building the one with the least bodywork/welding requirement using the other 3 as donors.
    you can then use that list to mull over what you have got -V- what you want, while staying at home with the family ... also use this time to evaluate the costs you have now storing the 4 hulks, and use that figure to guage what you can get locally to build the dream and store some spares...
    sell any items and bodies (with paperwork) you dont think you will need to provide a budget
    learning - its easier to learn to build a Capri by dismantling one in comfort than to start welding ... so a little at a time on the nuts and bolts till the confidence and knowledge goes up .. and if you feel things are getting out of hand and over-bearing, stop, walk away, ask questions have a think, a coffee and prepare for the next onslaught ...
    if you are not sure you can get one finished in say 12 months ... sell the lot to gain a budget for a runner, and work on that as a rolling resto.

most important thing you need is a solid bodyshell with an absolute minimum of welding, check as many seams as you can get your eyes on, check the spring hangers and the A-pillars in particular, the chassis rails the floors under the back seats around the wheel tubs, if you have one that has NO sunroof in good/best condition, pick that over one with a sunroof, its amazing the structural condition differences you can find between the two ...

most importantly - do not put the car between you and the family ...

13. elliecharlie2008

elliecharlie2008 S M Classic Cars Trader

Drives:
    several capris
    four capris can be daunting but it can be done :thumbup1: ive got two on the go two in storage and two more arriving next week if you can take one home and concentrate on that one you might find its not as bad as you think
    don't break them though if there not that bad it would be a shame :thumbup1:

14. NialDiamond

NialDiamond Nial Diamond Capri Spares Trader

Drives:
    capri mk1 1600gtxlr
    well said alan ,my thoughts exactly

:guitar3: :guitar3: :guitar3: :guitar3:

15. chris249

chris249 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1.6 LS, 1.6 Laser, 2.8
    All good advice here, pick the best one and go from there! [​IMG]

16. CapriGear

CapriGear Capri Gear Trader

Drives:
    Ford Focus, BMW 540i
    It sounds like a recipe for disaster if you ask me. Unless you have an endless supply of time, skill or cash then to be brutal it is simply a non starter.
    If any of the four is particularly rare, desirable or has a sentimental attatchment then possibly ditch the other three and concentrate solely on that one.
    Bear in mind that the end result will almost certainly be worth less than the cost outlaid in achieving the finished car.
    Also, family is worth more than any car ever will be so make sure you get your priorities right.

17. Doc

Doc Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    SAAB Aero Hot and 1978 Mk2 2.0S
    i hear that mate ! :thumbup1: