Is This A Real Jps?

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by Crayonbox, 28 November 2016.

1. Crayonbox

Crayonbox Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Brooklands Capri 280
    Hi Guys,
    I have just about bought the attached JPS. But there are some issues verifying it's authenticity.
    See video attached.
    [media]https://youtu.be/wuJwcCLhIXE[/media]

1. It does not have the 'JP SPECIAL' Paint code tag - it says R BLACK S BLK suggesting it is a CAPRI S made after the end of the real JPS's.
    2. It was manufactured in Halewood July 1976 (Date code SD) believe the JPS's were made up until May 1976.

I understand Ford made the JPS's, but then began making the CAPRI S and used the same JPSs look on the black versions.

This car has been fully rebuilt, but is supposed to have had the JPS look from factory - just not the build date and the Paint tag.

Hard to verify!
    How does all this affect it's real value by comparison with a genuine 1975 3.0 JPS?

2. PaulG

PaulG Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 3.0S, 2.0S and 1.6 laser, Fiesta MK2 1.1,Octavia VRS,
    I think it's an "S" not a JPS.

It has S wheels, front spoiler and the three stalks on the steering column - from what I know the JPS just had the single indicator/horn stalk. It also has S seats which have been re - upholstered in the gold fabric.

The S model didn't have the stripes that go down the top of the wings and across the bonnet and obviously the full lenghth sunroof and rear louvres are aftermarket accessories. The rear parcel shelf is a later addition too.

I'm sure someone from the MK2 register will be able to tell you what the chassis numbers should be for a JPS.

3. ian2800

ian2800 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk2 3.0, Mk3 3.0S
    The JPS cars were all built in 1975. As Paul says, your car is an S but an early type spec one which is almost as rare as a JPS as they were only built for about 12 months. Originally it would have had Ronal 'cobweb' alloys and no front spoiler.

4. rscapriman

rscapriman Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    RS Capri's + Mondeo
    When the 3000S Mk2 first appeared it would have the Ronal alloys, no front spoiler and lights and wiper switches as per Mk1 facelift then during 1976 whilst still being made in this country they were fitted with Ghia alloys, front spoiler and wipers/ light switches now on stalks as per all later cars.
    I had a 3000S auto MRK 384P with Ronals etc and a 3000S manual MMR 252R with Ghia wheel S etc both were 1976 both were Arizona Gold with the same gold trimmed seats.
    So I believe this car is correct with its wheels, switches and front spoiler but as already stated not a JPS, very very nice car though.

5. PaulG

PaulG Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 3.0S, 2.0S and 1.6 laser, Fiesta MK2 1.1,Octavia VRS,
    My 2.0S, OFB 844R, that I had back in 1980 was a March 1977 (registered) in diamond white. It had the spoiler, Ghia type wheels with the flat washered nuts and the striped Cadiz interior. My memory is starting to fade but I thought it was German built.

I wish it was still around, I'd buy it back in a flash even if it had been in a hedge since it was last taxed in 1987. I'm on the lookout for a non black MK2 S.

6. stueecat

stueecat Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk3 3.0S Auto. Mondeo ST200
    I know little of the models available back in 75 but would I be correct in thinking that Ford sold the JPS alongside the S model?

I ask because I had a Carnival red 3000S built in Halewood sept 75 which according to this thread was when the JPS was being sold.

From memory it had full white stripes as per the JPS style of the time, the interior had already been swapped by the time I had it, but the chassis plate code says K1 and the build plate says Tan.

7. 80s-new-man

80s-new-man New Member Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri MK3 2.9i Cosworth BOB
    From memory (had a July 1975 registered 2.0JPS in 1984-5) the body tag actually had JPS on it.

8. Geronimo

Geronimo Member Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri Mk2 2.0 S
    The Capri GT so called JPS was introduced in 1975, in have photos of it on the Ford stand at the motor show, then in 1976 the GT-S arrived with a variety of colours plus the stripes, get a black car and u have gold stripes, then two years later it all changed when the Mk 3 arrived.

This is my 1976 2.0 S, when I purchased it back then it didn’t come with the front deflector (spoiler), the two part plastic one was introduced later, at £17.60 for the kit, it also came without a shelf, radio, loudspeakers to a time clock.
    Other cars have taken its place over the years but my Capri still around with just 43000 + on the clock.

BB77602E-A630-4A66-B51B-C781A5F07891.jpeg E4B19611-6439-4B9F-8B23-4E8D4885998A.jpeg

Last edited: 17 May 2019
  9. v6lad

v6lad Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 2.8 tt and Navara 2.3 tt
    Lovely car and very nice condition

10. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
    Very nice capri, Kev Hickling would be your man to go to for info

caprinerd and Clockwork Orange like this.
  11. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    i applaud the person that did the pin stripes its a nasty job and one i wont even try to do ever again as its a royal rectum ache