Just for Capri owners information...

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by kez60, 21 March 2020.

1. kez60

kez60 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    84 Injection Special (what else?)
    I had one of my low beam lamps go out on my 84 2.8 injection special.
    Thought, ohh well time to buy another H1 lamp...
    Replaced lamp and no light???
    Did a voltage check and 12 volts at headlight wiring, put lamp on and no volts???
    Problem ended up being the bulkhead relay assembly which also has some fuses (near the passenger side window washer tubing).
    Problem was that after years of use and probably vibration, the 16A fuses got a bit corroded and loose and created a hot joint, I could tell immediately as you could see the colour of the non working light fuse was a different colour due to the higher temperatures.
    Pulled out the relay and cleaned up all the fuses and connectors with some 1200 grade wet and dry and hey presto all light working OK again (as well as 1984 lights can work...) Just remember to re-tension the fuse posts so there is some firm contact between fuse and posts,
    I was going to take some photos but got lazy, if anyone requests I could supply more details.
    Clockwork can probably confirm this but just one to watch.
    Cheers and stay safe,
    Kez

2. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Electrical ??? what like .. bzztt Feck !!! Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    hey Kez ..
    unfortunately you are quite accurate ..
    one thing I would always recommend is disconnecting the battery till at least you lift the relay clear of the brake pipes ..
    it has been known for the complete relay base to pull out the can cover when pulling the loom connector off ..
    the main red wire that provides the power to the lamps is a direct connexion to the battery - no in line fuse ..
    Headlamp relay Capri II late 1.jpg

Headlamp relay Capri II late 2.jpg

Headlamp relay Capri II (late) pins.JPG

Headlamp relay Capri II (late) cct.JPG

Good Flag to raise Kez

3. CapriJake

CapriJake Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capris!
    Solved my Dads lights after the MOT man was gonna fail him by doing this.
    Luckily the MOT man passed him and said fix it before you drive it again. So a bit of sandpaper and we are sorted :)

I bought a bunch of headlight relays for like £10 on eBay a few years ago. So I have a bunch of spares cleaned and ready to go now :)

4. kez60

Drives:
    Thanks clockwork and agree with the battery disconnect first.
    One question, what is the purpose of the dim/dip tag on the relay? Mine didn't have a wire to connect to it, I assume it would drive a relay if you had another set of driving lamps?
    Kez

5. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Electrical ??? what like .. bzztt Feck !!! Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    hey Kez ..
    the 'dim/dip' tag on the later models was included to allow a low voltage power supply, from a remote relay & resistor pack, to illuminate the dip beam headlamps at approx half power.
    in some European countries it is not allowed to drive on side-lamps only, and with the notion of daytime lights, Ford fitted this system to a few very late built Capris.
    to be honest the system is pants! But it served a purpose to negate a possible legal problem .. However friends of mine found that higher wattage bulbs, if fitted, failed more regularly.

Detail - There is a second grey/black wire off the fuse-box fuse3 (side/tail LHS), to a 'special relay' that has an ignition 2 pickup .. so if you are running with ignition on, side-lamps on,
    relay then provides power from a resistor pack to the main head-lamp relay ..

Some faults - resistor pack is riveted under the radiator closing panel, rivets rot with the weather and the pack falls off, direct battery feed onto the resistor also prone to corrosion, and ..
    If the dim/dip relay develops a fault, you cannot replace it with a standard relay, only the 'special' relay .. If you do - with engine running and side-lamps on, switch off ignition - engine
    keeps running! you then need to turn the lights off to kill the engine ..

6. kez60

Drives:
    Great reply Clockwork.
    Thanks,
    Kez

Clockwork Orange likes this.