Lancaster 2020 - news new horizons

Discussion in 'Upcoming Events' started by Laser, 26 November 2019.

1. Laser

Laser Laser Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    1.6 Laser and 2.0S
    Important announcement re 2020 Lancaster bomber event ! We probably won't be able to return thanks to a few people who this year upset the museum team! Read on and reflect ? I guess the event has run its course ? I didn't want to make this announcement public after the event but leaving the site on the day i already had an idea this would be the case. Personally we as a family are very upset as you know we have always tried our best to make the day a success. But this year was a challenge For example the car load who argued over the entrance price .... The attitude of a few drivers and disregard for speed leaving the site after being asked to keep speed down on the exit route .. Has resulted in this response from the museum owners .. I'm afraid that I keep losing staff who are happy to man the event because they are not happy with the way the drivers are talking to them. I'll see if I can muster a team willing to come in.

As you can unfortunately see the minority have successfully ruined a relationship built up over trust mutual respect the last 10+years have been amazing but unfortunately
    Certain elements
    treat the volunteers at the museum like its a theme park and all paid staff who are paid to take attitude and no respect

2.8jonny likes this.
  2. acepower84

acepower84 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk3 2.1, Mk2 2.0S, Octavia VRS
    Absolutely appalling and its a damn shame to have come to this.

I sincerely hope you can continue to host this special event as i am certainly sure that all the decent folk would be happy to attend and adhere to site rules.

As has been mentioned on facebook already, an invitation only event would help build bridges and repair mutual respect which has been lost.

ADB likes this.
  3. ADB

ADB Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    What a crying shame, there's so many selfish fuck wits out there, hey but life is full of them fucking things up for everyone !

I know how hard you have worked on these event Francis, I have first hand experience of public events and the fucking idiots who think they can treat other people like shit and disregard everything around them !

Well done you fuck wits you know who you are !
    Oh sorry they don't because you're heads planted firmly up you're arse holes.

Thanks Francis and family for a great event......

Move on now without the pricks in life !

Clockwork Orange likes this.
  4. CapriGear

CapriGear Capri Gear Trader

Drives:
    Ford Focus, BMW 540i
    If you know who they are name them, there's probably no point trying to shame them as they most likely think that their behaviour is acceptable. Unfortunately morons like this have plagued the Capri scene for many years now. It's one of the reasons why the Capri was never taken seriously in the classic circles. You would have hoped that we would have left behind these plebs but unfortunately it seems we haven't.
    Yet again the vast majority are let down by a few.

ADB and Laser like this.
  5. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    Actually, not all that surprising that some would put on some exhibition on the way out, though it's no excuse. I do find it surprising that anyone would argue about the entrance fee. I thought it widely known that a huge part of the purpose for this event was the fund-raising for charities and for the rebuild of Just Jane. And though we sometimes claim this forum is only about cars, I say more than that, that our discussions often touch on a lot more in and about life itself. It's those elements of life that we consider valuable and meaningful enough to give to charity, or endeavors like rebuilding a bomber, and that explains why the event has always been so special. Though the staff apparently got some sass from a few in attendance, the bigger and more damaging shame is that those few are missing the point of life, and the effect of their actions on their hosts. From my perspective, the cure for that is a much higher entrance fee, in order to contribute what those few obviously didn't. I, for one, feel that we've got so much invested in the real purpose now that I'd happily continue giving toward the restoration of Jane. I hope others will join in that willingness.

ADB and Laser like this.
  6. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Electrical ??? what like .. bzztt Feck !!! Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    I will write here, what I wrote on the 2 fb sites that the article has been aired on ...
    --
    This is terrible news.
    I was at the first in 2008, and have watched it grow nicely.
    Was always the best meet in the Calendar...
    and now RUINED .. by idiots it seems, this is totally unfair on Francis & Clare, and all those who helped get this wonderful event onto the books ..
    At the end of the day, East Kirkby is a museum & a memorial.. The fact that they felt happy to open their gates to us for our enjoyment, and always made us welcome,
    now makes this news all the more distressing..

Again it is hi-lighted that bad behaviour when attending, and leaving a meet, has now destroyed yet another great gathering.
    ---------------------

I hope that events such as this now revert to invitation only, we all know some good people, so it will be sustainable.. like the first couple of Bomber Runs.
    small numbers, good cars, plenty of space .. Good Manners and an enjoyable day.. That's what I travelled over 300 miles each way for.
    I haven't attended for a long time, no Capri, did go in the RAV once and felt horrible ..
    I genuinely thought that when I got Rumbly back on the road, one of the first gatherings I would get to would be at East Kirkby.
    Now thanks to these unsociable cretins this now looks to be off the cards.

Many Thanks Francis & Clare (and the family, and the helpers) for all your hard work over the years, you made a lot of genuine people very happy,
    and you earned the charities a few quid over the period as well ...
    So for that alone,
    I thank you

ADB, Nick, Lord Flasheart and 2 others like this.
  7. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Actually, Alan, I like that three or four times, but the forum ain't built for that. Well said.

Nick likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick A human. Being. Staff Member Forum Tech

Drives:
    BMW
    Its a real shame its come to this, Ive only been to 2 of these but they are a great day out and a tremendous effort by Francis, all his family and the volunteers. Also all the money they have raised for charities over the years. I really hope a way is found to hold it for 2020. Its been one of the largest gatherings of Capris I have seen, so would be a shame for it to be ruined by the pathetic actions of a few.

ADB likes this.
  9. MarkW

MarkW Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 3.0S Janspeed Turbo, Green '81', Ford Mondeo Graphite 'Daily'.
    Well I am in shock. I haven't been logged in here for a while but did so purposefully to see whether there was a prospective date for 2020.

Cracking event with time, effort and consideration put in to making this an enjoyable and fitting place to park your car and take fantastic photos etc.

I am not to up on many people in the Capri scene and I usually leave before the end so thankfully I missed the idiots if that's when all this has taken place. There is no place to be rude to anyone either, I have always found staff and folk to be pleasant. I echo what Martin says in that the Capri got the bad name due to idiots like this; I thought they had long gone but clearly not. I know that there are young and older owners of classics but I have mainly seen mature owners of Capris, if it is these owners then really. They need to grow up, have some respect for thier cars, other owners and themselves not to mention Francis and family and staff at the venue and the venue itself, as quite rightly said it is not only a museum but a memorial.

I really hope this is not the end but if it is I fully understand. Minorities have far too much impact on majorities in this country these days.

Thanks for the events - been to every one. Great work for charities and for the museum. Very very sad.

Long live the bomber.

Last edited: 28 November 2019
    ADB likes this.
  10. BigJ

BigJ Registered Capri Power Member

I’m with Martin on this, name the lowlife who have contributed nothing but misery and disappointment to others.

I’ve seen this happen in the Landrover shows years back and it really pi$$es me off that the scum of the earth feel it’s their God given right to inflict their disgraceful behaviour on others.

Boys pretending to be men and failing at that. Not a backbone amongst them.

ADB and jetstream like this.
  11. Laser

Drives:
    1.6 Laser and 2.0S
    A development! Turning back the clock !
    2020 will go ahead numbers limited to 50 capri's
    Private Invitations and capri power members only .
    Details to follow

ADB and Crash & Burn like this.
  12. r2d2hp

r2d2hp Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk1 Capri
    Well that's good news. Well done

13. Lord Flasheart

Lord Flasheart Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Panzer, Jeep, CBR600, 3.0 Ghia
    Phew, well done Fran, has to be the way to go ;)

ADB and Laser like this.
  14. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    Are we sure it was from this forum as ive noticed a few different groups going to this event
    Im glad to hear its all back on

ADB likes this.
  15. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Electrical ??? what like .. bzztt Feck !!! Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    so good to hear ..
    I'm in for sure, Rumbly or not...

ADB and Crash & Burn like this.
  16. Lee

Lee Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Red 2.8i special & a silver 2.8i special
    Excellent news...
    Thank ourselves lucky we have another chance.

ADB likes this.
  17. CapriGear

CapriGear Capri Gear Trader

Drives:
    Ford Focus, BMW 540i
    It doesn't really matter which forum, facebook page or wherever these idiots frequent, their actions impact on the whole Capri fraternity. Everyone will be judged on the behaviour of these morons.

ADB likes this.
  18. ADB

ADB Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Brilliant news Francis, looking forward to it already, cant wait :)

19. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    I expect credit for such luck goes to Fran & family, and their clear respect over the years for the facility and staff, and their purpose. Even from here it's obvious that Fran, alone, established a reputation, distinct from most of the other groups that sponsor events there. The museum does get donations from other sources, but few can match the sincere spirit of Fran's events. To do that requires more of Fran's events. Jane will fly - Honour - Be part of it.

ADB and Lord Flasheart like this.
  20. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    Excellent news Francis.. and best control possible.. INVITATION only.
    all attending must be made aware - this is not just a technical museum with a 'couple of planes' ..
    This particular museum is a memorial, it is a memorial to the family members who put so much into the project.
    BUT more importantly, it is now an agreed memorial to the brave and the selfless, the boys & young men who put up their selves for our freedoms
    no-one walking through those gates should have the thoughts in them to disturb, and antagonise anyone working on that site.

I will quite willingly work a rota with my friends here, to assist, aid, & control the days proceedings.
    We get the delight of parking our cars in a totally photogenic surrounding, let us not cause worry or harm to the feelings of the people who work there every day ..

Thanks Francis for just pushing that wee bit beyond your initial disappointment

2.8jonny and Lord Flasheart like this.
  21. Laser

Drives:
    1.6 Laser and 2.0S
    Thank you for your support its in early stages and so I will be posting on here only I have messaged a few outside of cp the join the forum or get back on here !

ADB likes this.
  22. Lord Flasheart

Lord Flasheart Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Panzer, Jeep, CBR600, 3.0 Ghia
    Totally agree with Mr Crash & Mr Clockwork & would be more than willing to help out during the day, as highlighted above Wing Co ;)

Clockwork Orange likes this.
  23. robt100

robt100 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Lots of ongoing projects
    Glad to hear a solution has been found! Went to my first lanc meet this year (as the car was finally back on the road after 6 years). Hopefully this means I can get there next year in a complete car, rather than one that passed its MOT by pure luck less than 18 hours beforehand:eek:. This time I shall make more of a point of putting names to faces rather than fretting about whether the car will work:D

24. SteveC28

SteveC28 New Member Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 2.8i and Mercedes SLK 280
    Probably the best meet on the calendar. It must continue