Land Rover Master Cylinder Conversion.....Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by robt100, 16 April 2019.

1. robt100

robt100 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Lots of ongoing projects
    Hey everyone!
    Putting the Capri up for sale has conveniently also ignitied my motivation to get it finished, but the one thing I don't really have the skills to do and don't want to risk doing myself is the master cylinder swap. Currently the brake pedal is about 20mm off the floor before anything happens so it needs doing before I drive it.

The current situation is no mobile mechanic wants to come out to do the work, and there is no local garage I would trust.

So, here comes the request:

Is there anyone who has done this swap (or knows how to, I guess if you've ever swapped a master cylinder before its probably the same?) that would be willing to come out to Norfolk to swap it/help me swap it? I'm happy to cover travelling costs and your time, I just need it done!

2. Rafer

Rafer Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    280 xpack project
    I have a brand new landrover master cylinder here which I'm not going to use now. I thought the only thing you had to do with it was to enlarge the holes in the cylinder where it fits to the servo, after that I thought it was a straight swap.
    I was going to put it on with a rear disc conversion but the amount of people that I know that moan about it I decided not too.
    Let me know if you haven't got one already as ones here sat in the box.

3. BigJ

BigJ Registered Capri Power Member

If you already have the 2.0 servo then the LR master cylinder will bolt straight to it. You then need to screw the two pipes at the front end of the original M/C into the adapter and the rearward pipe into the rear outlet.

You do need to change the LR reservoir for the Capri one though as it sits at a slightly different angle in the Defender. Bleed up as normal.

I’ve just removed mine and have gone back to the Granny MK2 master cylinder and original 6 cylinder servo. I wasn’t impressed with it but with the Cossie engine fitted you do need to upgrade the brakes from the original Pinto setup.

4. robt100

robt100 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Lots of ongoing projects
    @BigJ The main issues there are, I've never bled a set of brakes before, or drained fluid (not really any clue what im doing). What is involved in the reservoir swap? Can it be run with the landy one temporarily?
    When changing the cylinder is there anything that passes through into the servo that needs to be lined up/matched/kept an eye on, or is it just put there as a handy fixing spot?

5. BigJ

BigJ Registered Capri Power Member

If that’s the case then don’t try it but carry on trying to find someone who has some experience of maintaining brakes who can help you out. It’s not too difficult to do but you do need to know what you’re doing as the consequences of a mistake could be serious.