Leaf Springs

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by chris249, 23 January 2012.

1. chris249

chris249 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1.6 LS, 1.6 Laser, 2.8
    Aye up!

The next thing to replace on my capri are the rear leafs, they have well and truly sagged to the point where the're bending the wrong way, the bump stops have long gone, and I can't see over the bonnet anymore, driving now feels like a space launch! and I'm getting some entertaining handling in the wet!

anyway, the front coils have been replaced with standard rate springs recently, but for the rear I'm thinking single leafs are a good option instead of the standard multi leafs? or should I replace with standard? what else do you need? poly bushes, different U bolts for single leafs?

I've had a little snoop on sites and the forum, but where's the best place get them from and how much I'm I looking at? I'm guessing I will have to save up for em!

Cheers! [​IMG]

2. Laser

Laser Laser Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    1.6 Laser and 2.0S
    Decent set of multi's ready bushed should do the trick then you can reuse the u bolts if they are in decent condition ?
    I would check out the rear spring hangers as these can be Akward to remove may pay to pick up a spare ?
    week before doing the job start soaking the bolts and nuts to make the job easier and if you have one or two nuts slowly wind them onto the remains of the u bolt threads to cut off the rust then copper grease what you clean up .. same with the rear sping hanger exposed threads but be gentle as these snap easily ..
    Each spring only has 6 nuts to deal with .. one front in the box 22mm 4 ubolts 19mm or 17mm two on the shackle 13mm..

3. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Electrical ??? what like .. bzztt Feck !!! Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    for info - the U-bolts are still available from Ford ...
    multi leaf springs - finis code = 6042410
    single leaf springs - finis code = 6125560

whatever you do - dont use grayston, they are cr@p, and the nuts are way to small and made outta hard plasticine

4. j4r4lly

j4r4lly Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1983 Capri 2.8i, 6X previous Capri's, Ford Kuga & Fiesta
    Just checked on the Ford system and it recognises both Finis codes but is showing 0 stock held.

Maybe a few dealers with some sitting on the shelf but it's unlikely as they get shot of redundant stock fairly quickly these days.

If you go to this website they have the single leaf U bolts in stock

http://finisfinder.com/

Also just spotted they have 5-speed 'boxes still available for £579 which is not far off what some charge for a re-build. 5014009

5. chris249

Drives:
    1.6 LS, 1.6 Laser, 2.8
    Cheers chaps!!

So are single leafs no advantage over multileafs? is it a worthwhile upgrade or don't bother

and should I just be looking to my local motor factors to get hold of em or cci ? [​IMG]

6. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    I'm unable to confirm which is better, the single or multi-leafs, as I've only ever had multis. But for what it's worth, I did find places here that will re-arc either style, to restore their original height. Price was roughly 40 GBP per spring. New bushes also do an amazing job of lifting them.

7. acepower84

acepower84 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk3 2.1, Mk2 2.0S, Octavia VRS
    I changed from multi leafs to single leafs and the car still sits well after a good five years on. I do think they are a bit more comfier and will be polybushing them in the future.

8. j4r4lly

Drives:
    Ford fitted single leaf on the late S models and all 2.8i's as they are lighter, give a more controlled ride and there is less sideways movement under hard cornering. If there is little difference in the price then go for the singles.

Steads has them (Quoyloo Garage), as does CCI, Tickover and probably Capri Gear.

9. chris249

Drives:
    1.6 LS, 1.6 Laser, 2.8
    Thanks again all! great help!! [​IMG]

10. 04grayst

04grayst Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1987 2.8i Special, Subaru Legacy 2.0 Sports Tourer, Borrows: Defender 110
    Just remember for removing the front nut you need a 22mm swan neck ring spanner like this as Laser kindly pointed out when i got confused as to how the hell i was going to get it off, you can't use a normal spaner or socket, they just won't fit.
    http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=22mm+ring+spanner&biw=1080&bih=687&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12377761135902123570&sa=X&ei=LAEgT_nmKIqK8gPtm4GiDg&ved=0CFoQ8wIwAQ#

11. j4r4lly

Drives:
    Been busy today trying to finish off fitting my new single leaf rear springs. I actually started last week but found that the long bolt on the front fixing on the drivers side was stripped and badly pitted. The nut was also the wrong size so I couldn't finish off the job until I got hold of a replacement.

Took advantage of the time to clean up the rear axle and floor sections and then re-paint them.

Bolt arrived on Friday so went out to finish the job off only to discover that the long bolt at the rear on the drivers side was also wrong. I should have checked it before but I hadn't bothered removing it from the rear of the old spring. It's the wrong bolt, threaded all the way along and also snapped and then welded back together - what a bodge. So now have to wait again to get the correct one. My fault for not checking before so have made sure all the rest of the nuts and bolts are good.

Very frustrating not to be able to finish it!!!

12. Laser

Laser Laser Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    1.6 Laser and 2.0S
    chris pm me and give us a call ! i have some new old front bolts if you still need them

13. j4r4lly

Drives:
    It's me, Jerry, not Chris.

Have the front bolts but need one rear shackle set if you have it?

14. sweeneyno1

sweeneyno1 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1600 capri mk3, bmw e36 m3 convertible, gsxr 750
    Hey mate, just in the final process of the restoration of a mk3 2l S.
    Fitted some -2 blocks in the rear and was gonna switch to single leafs as they give a better performance than standard multis, luckily being a late S model shes already equipt with them. Anyway changing my u bolts was fun, got a ring spanner on them in the end and the ratchet struggled but out of the total 8 nuts 6 snapped, i hadnt used any penetrating fluid on them as i was replacing them so snapping them saved undooing them.

Anyhow the total job took about an hour and the capri sits nice and low and the handling should be much stiffer!

good luck with your changeover mate

15. CapriGear

CapriGear Capri Gear Trader

Drives:
    Ford Focus, BMW 540i
    I have new multi leaf or single leaf replacement springs in stock.

16. j4r4lly

Drives:
    I already have new singles and all the other bits - except for one rear shackle set - got one of those?????

17. j4r4lly

Drives:
    Big thanks to Trev' for sorting me out with a brand new lovingly fabricated link in double quick time!!!

Top bloke and very much appreciated.