Mileometer/odometer Issue

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by 04grayst, 30 August 2016.

1. 04grayst

04grayst Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1987 2.8i Special, Subaru Legacy 2.0 Sports Tourer, Borrows: Defender 110
    Hi all, my mileage has got stuck, I've thought for a while it wasn't quite clocking up every mile but now it appears to have stopped completely. The speedometer works absolutely fine but the odometer and trip don't turn. I've got the dash completely out now and can't see anything wrong (though admittedly I don't know what to look for).
    Basically I have two questions, does anyone have any idea what is wrong/how to fix it and does it matter for the MOT? I thought it would but the wider internet seems to think it's only an issue if I try and claim it's genuine when selling the car (which I'm never going to do)

Cheers guys

2. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    I had one apart once as far as I dared. There are plastic gears, and one of mine broke away, leaving it to record slowly. I was driving 3-6 miles and showing one. My needle still reads roughly 10% fast, the odometer way slow, and the trip odometer about correct. To fix it, I'd have a shop do it, both because it's easy to screw up and for the certification value. One day, I may replace mine with a spare.

3. 04grayst

Drives:
    Cheers Gary, as much as I admit I don't know what to look for, mine looks perfect, all the teeth are there nothing seems loose and I have tested the speedo against another car ( a satnav would be better I know).

4. Finn

Finn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.9 Mk 3 Capri. 2.8 Mk 3 Capri
    It will only be an MOT issue the test after this next one, you will have pit miles on since the last MOT, but between that and the next you will show zero miles, pop a replacement in and keep the old unit for verification. Finn.

5. 04grayst

Drives:
    It's already failed on a couple of other minor points so has had the mileage logged at that time. Can I just get a new one? I wasn't sure what the rules were with having the correct mileage. Cheers

6. Finn

Finn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.9 Mk 3 Capri. 2.8 Mk 3 Capri
    As long as you document the mileage and the swop it will be acceptable. I know there are some very qualified MOT standard mechanics on here, so I would be pleased to know if I am correct. Finn.

7. PaulG

PaulG Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 3.0S, 2.0S and 1.6 laser, Fiesta MK2 1.1,Octavia VRS,
    Only certain warning lights are checked on the dashboard. The mileage shown will be shown on the MOT and will show as a discression if the car is HPi checked. I've seen cars with same reading on three or four successive MOT's. The offence occurs if you then sell the vehicle, or offer it for sale, and say it is genuine mileage.

Many vehicles that were clocked when they were much younger suffer odometer failure later in life as well as the genuine wear and tear on old cars.
    Try and at least estimate how many miles you did with the clock playing up so as you can give a future purchaser an idea or approximation of its true mileage but never guarantee it to the exact mile.

I have to add that I'm not an MOT tester but have spent a lot of time in MOT centres in my working life.

8. 04grayst

Drives:
    That's great, thanks a lot guys

9. BigJ

BigJ Registered Capri Power Member