MOT passed in spite of foot pump

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by Not_Anumber, 26 November 2021.

1. Not_Anumber

Not_Anumber Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1983 2.8i 5 speed. 2x previous Capris.
    OYS sailed through her MOT again yesterday, perhaps unsurprisingly as she has only covered a handful of miles since the last one.

I nearly missed the time slot though as just before i was due to set off to the MOT centre I decided to put a bit of air in one of the back tyres that was looking a bit low. I dug out a footpump my son uses for his bike tyres, attached it only to find the thing jammed as soon as I put my foot on it and then watched in horror as all the remaining air escaped before I even had time to unhook it from the tyre valve. The thing was clearly badly knackered as was I by the time I'd run up the road to borrow a better footpump and hurried to then pump up what was now a completely flat tyre.

Thankfully the drama ended there as the MOT tester was not only fine about me being a bit late he even tightened up an exhaust clamp free of charge which he'd listed the year before as the only advisory. He then showed me the South African Mk3 Cortina in the corner of the workshop that he'd just had imported as a project. I thought it was a Taunus at first as it had a foreign number plate but soon realised it had the steering wheel on the proper side and the usual Mk 3 coke bottle sides. It was a very unusual mustard yellow colour that Ive not seen on an UK Ford of that era, had a Essex v6 A & a different style rear axle that was apparently standard spec in SA and was otherwise standard except for taller after market springs that made it sit very high and oversized wheels with an offset that didnt so much fill the arches as stick out from them. He'd taken the engine out to start a rebuild, was going to replace the old gearbox with a 5 speed Type 9 and was about to bolt the body on a rotisserie and start a bare metal rebuild. I think it should be a rewarding project as aside from faded paintwork it had fared very well with no sign of rust.

TheRealExile likes this.
  2. TheRealExile

TheRealExile Established Member Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1982 2.8i
    Great when you find a good MOT tester, I remember mine springing a fuel leak mid MOT under the bonnet many years back and he let me repair it mid MOT even supplied me the pipe!

3. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    Another one is legal again thats a good thing, handful of miles thats a bad thing lol, ignore me, well done for keeping it legal

4. TheRealExile

TheRealExile Established Member Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1982 2.8i
    I'm probably still going to get the checks done even when mine is exempt next year. Can't put a price on safety, and not just your own.

Lord Flasheart likes this.
  5. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    well done on the pass .. Such a rewarding feeling .. as others will say, its always nice when the MoT tester actually comes across as someone that knows what they are looking at !!

-- --

In saying that - I hope you all keep going back, year on year .. Everyone (with any sense anyway) knows that your MoT certificate is probably only accurate on the day it is issued ..
    However it is your vehicles safety certificate for 1 year, it is the cheapest possible 3rd party safety inspection you will ever get and it is a legal document ..
    I feel totally aggrieved that the likes of the FBHVC fought toot and nail for MoT exemptions .. how do you travel legally on the continent with no MoT (legally you cannot!)
    suppose you have an accident .. No MoT .. fault on the vehicle found 'that may have contributed to the failure' .. Who is held liable ?? YOU !!
    You allowed an unsafe vehicle on the road.. You are responsible (whether you have the skill or not !!) .. Totally fechin' stoopid idea - MoT exemption ..

Rant over - maybe I should lodge it in the 'Rant Section'

TheRealExile likes this.
  6. steve 35

steve 35 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1.6L
    Mines mot exempt, and I totally agree with you, stupid idea, once she's back on the road it'll be straight in for an mot check

7. Lord Flasheart

Lord Flasheart Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Panzer, Jeep, CBR600, 3.0 Ghia
    Completely agree with the honourable member for Elasticktrickery ;)

Biscuit is now 40 years old, will look to go through the tax exemption exercise in April next year but will still get it MOT'd. All servicing & maintenance is done at my mates place where she had her "light bottom end tidy up" but I use a different place for the MOT's, second pair of eyes avoiding anything being missed by familiarity is my theory ;)

8. SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA

SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK3 STRATOS SILVER 3.0 GHIA
    I totally agree with above, my MOT man will sometimes advise, I missed a rusty brake pipe last week and he said did I want to grease it up, no I didn't, I replaced the whole pipe, some garages just cut the rust out and put a coupler in, that in my opinion deviates from original and should not be allowed, no matter how much of a pig some brake pipes are to replace.
    I can't see the logic or the reasoning behind allowing a join in a brake line other than where it should be.

Last edited: 28 November 2021
    TheRealExile and steve 35 like this.