Nicks Capri X-Pack

Discussion in 'Members Capris' started by Nick, 12 May 2010.

1. andygtt

andygtt Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Noble M12
    Do you mind me asking what roll cage that is, I'm looking for one thats a close fit to the body so I can 'loose' it as much as possible and your looks as good a fit as I have seen :)

2. Nick

Nick A human. Being. Staff Member Forum Tech

I think its a Safety Devices, its quite an old one as it was out of a racecar when I got it off a member on here.

3. andy

andy Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Ford Mustang
    Mines a safety devices also, but not fitted it yet. It looks a pain in the arse to fit.

4. Bristol Red

Bristol Red Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    * Red '84 3.1 Injecton *
    Wow just wow!! That is it :thumbup1:

Well not quite.. been of for a while and just read through your ups and downs with this Nick and gotta congratulate you for sticking with it :headbang::

Car looks awesome the colour is perfect and although I did like the green I think you ended up making an even better choice :thumbup:

5. Nick

Thanks Andy

Just thought Id add a little update. Not a lot to report on if I'm honest. Its got to the stage now where I need a few parts fabricating that are quite expensive, so coming to the realization that it may be late next year when it maybe fit for the road at best.

I have had all the glass fitted since the last update
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had to wait 6 weeks for the windscreen to be made, but its great to see the glass finally in the hole.

Ive also been working on the bias pedal box pluming. Got some AN fittings and custom braided HEL lines running from the pots to the master cylinders now. Also had some more hard piping done for the turbo.
    [​IMG]

My friend Si who helps me with all the fabrication side of things also has a plan for a fuel tank he is going to make. Unfortunately he has a bit of a waiting list so it will be another couple of months before I have another update.

I am really missing the meets though. So with the help of some family & friends we are putting together another Capri to get out and about in for next year. Ive just aquired the drive train off a member last weekend. so I shall update you on that soon :)/>. We are working every weekend to muster all the spares we can find to put it together so its very much a build on a budget, but its been alot of fun so far.

All being well I shall see you at some shows in April

Thanks for reading as always

Nick

6. Laser

Laser Laser Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    1.6 Laser and 2.0S
    Close. ... so close ..looking forward to seeing it in the flesh

7. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    nice to hear you are keeping active Nick, Frankenstein is looking good ... those pics show a lot of deliberation and care ..
    keep with it .. its gonna be a scorcher

8. Craigorypeck

Craigorypeck Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Twincharged mk1
    that is a blooody fantastic car. .

9. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    Nice update - Looking splendid, Nick, worth all the time it's been. Looks like that car is gonna make us all proud. :thumbup1:

10. Vernon240

Vernon240 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    RS3100 Mk 2 347 V8
    Looking superb, Nick. Shame about the delay, but plenty to keep you busy with all that polishing!

11. Nick

Many thanks for the kind comments guys. Im surprised you haven't got bored of it by now!

Im not used to all this polishing, its going to be a new frontier for me :/

The budget build wont need much polishing frankly so that's not too bad

12. andygtt

Drives:
    Noble M12
    looking really good, not surprised about the cost of the remaining fabrication bits... its amazing how much these add up.

Do you mind me asking where and how much the glass was... I have found somewhere to get the windscreen from, but not the side glass or doors... I managed to crack the screen on removal but want all new glass fro my project anyhow :)

13. Nick

Hi Andy, The side glass I got from Martin at Capri Gear. I used a stainless razor blade to clean it up and repainted the outer frame.

The windscreen I got from a local windscreen place Red Rose Windscreens. I got a few quotes, all of them had to get them specially made and the lead times varied between 4 weeks and 12 weeks because of the bronze tint I was told. The windscreen was about £300 then fitting ontop. The larger companies I find didn't want to know as it wasn't through insurance. Someone on here may be able to point you to a good source though I guess.

Hope that helps.

Nick

14. andygtt

Drives:
    Noble M12
    thanks Nick, might try Martin see what he has.
    There is a company online that advertises a heated Capri screen, quite fancied that. Have you come across it and is it well know if quality os good etc?

http://www.capriscreens.co.uk/index.html

Out of interest what is the list of the final parts you have to make to get it on the road... looking at the pictures you seem to have most of the important bits lol... have you 'dealt' with th documentation for colour and engine change etc?

cheers

15. Vernon240

Drives:
    RS3100 Mk 2 347 V8
    I got my front screen directly from pilkington. Long lead times, but seem fine, quality wise. I picked mine up from their depot in Croydon and fitted it myself.

16. Nick

Yeah Alan who does them is a member on here. A few members have those screens and love them.

Heres some of the things I still need making:
    Fuel Tank
    Engine breather system
    Complete cold air system
    Exhaust
    Full Wiring Loom
    2 piece Dash (50% done)
    Brakes front & rear
    Hand brake options
    prop shaft
    Rear axle rebuild
    Seat mounts after seats are chosen
    Plenty of small parts to source also
    Have a beer!

Also Vernon keeps telling me to fit the doors, so I think I best do that too :stunned:

17. Nick

Thanks Vernon, give them ago Andy :thumbup1:

18. andygtt

Drives:
    Noble M12
    must admit I thought I saw a tank already in your car... I guess you are having one of the ones that fits behind the rear seat.

I can see the exhaust, axle and brakes are not going to be cheap, whats your plan with brakes?

I really like your project, lots of subtle mods that I am really impressed with (like the bonnet bulge), genuinely looking forward to having a proper look over it when its on the road :)

19. Nick

I was going to have one behind the seats mate, but valued my life to much...not quite sure now how I thought that was a good idea without a firewall. So we are making one for underneath the car, Due to the panhard rod it will need to be custom though. The joys of modifying!

Brakes Im currently thinking Wilwoods as they seem good value. I cant really afford the Hispec alternatives.

Thanks for the comments. I love the bonnet too, all steel. The guy who originally began the project back in 1988 did that so I'm told. Shame he never got to finish it.

20. andygtt

Drives:
    Noble M12
    good choice on tank position, a full fire wall is an absolute must IMO... Im also having a custom one under the car, going to be slightly complicated on mine as Im designing in a diffuser that actually starts just after the drivers seat so I feel you tank pain lol

I have loads of callipers on the shelf, from sierra cossie, Porsche to AP as I tend to collect them for my projects when they come up cheap and never actually use them :)

Can 2wd cossie callipers fit a capri front and rear?

21. Nick

The 8" ford axle on the back of mine has welded on tabs for cosworth calipers. Still need to test fit a set, but may go that route on the back depending on funds nearer the time. Im only running 15s on mine which limits my options with the bigger brakes.

22. Kris

Kris Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    Mk3 2.9S Cosworth 24V
    Looks the part Nick, keep up the good work mate :)

23. Vernon240

Drives:
    RS3100 Mk 2 347 V8
    That's not much...when you say it quickly :stunned:

What? Still no doors? I find that the door apertures are the perfect place to keep them! They fit really well. Quite a conincendence, huh?

24. Nick

Hmmmm....Im not falling for that one...nice try though :stunned:

25. andygtt

Drives:
    Noble M12
    Well in that case I will see if I can find my set and you can have them.

26. Nick

That would be awesome Andy cheers :thumbup1:

27. andygtt

Drives:
    Noble M12
    i found one of the front callipers, need to look a little harder to find the rest, probably in my loft lol

28. Nick

Just finalised the mounting for the two piece dash fitment. (rollcage made it impossible to get the dash behind it in one piece).
    [​IMG]

Its just gone to a contact on my facebook today for it to have the cut lines all smoothed blended, then the pieces will be flocked black. Looking forward to see how it comes out.

29. brettp

brettp Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri v8
    I had a mission trying to get the dash around the cage ended up putting a mk1 pre face lift one in

30. Nick

Yeah Brett, I did clock the problem before the screen was fitted, it did slide in through the windscreen hole ok, but for problems I may encounter in the future I thought it may be best to make it removable the normal way, so it was out with the saw! :boxedin: Its works quite well though with some brackets

31. brettp

Drives:
    capri v8
    Anything behind a dash is always a mission I ended up with a magnetic panel which works ok

32. chris249

chris249 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1.6 LS, 1.6 Laser, 2.8
    Nice one Nick on the two piece dash, shouldn't crack then! I've heard black ones don't anyway?

33. Nick

Yeah you are right Chris, I dont think I have ever seen a cracked black dash. Cheers mate

Brett, the magnetic panel sounds interesting mate, whats that all about?

34. brettp

Drives:
    capri v8
    Can't figure out how to up load picture but just made a couple of brackets with metal one side a magnets the other works really well also for my drop down panel I got push Buonarroti clips they are a bit fiddly to get right but look and work great also quite cheap I will try and figure out how to put up a picture

35. Nick

Cheers Brett, on the main page there is a how to on the right hand side :thumbup1:

36. brettp

Drives:
    capri v8
    [​IMG]

crap pictures but might help

37. andygtt

Drives:
    Noble M12
    Hi Nick

I thought I had lost one of them till I had a clear out over the weekend and found the missing calliper... yours if you still want them?
    I seem to also have the cossie discs... all needs a clean but might help.

38. Nick

Hi Andy, thanks very much but I dont need them anymore. :thumbup1: Much appreciated all the same :headbang::

39. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    you need to use photoimage - https://postimages.org/ -
    photofukkit is fuct

40. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
    how's it going Nick? will you be about with it this year? keep cracking on with it mate

41. Nick

Hi Trev, I will be about in the zetec capri this year. This one is still a ways off being done. I've gone backwards on a few things again, but over the last few months a lot of time and money has gone into it. So hope to have some updates soon. I've simplified a few things that I didn't really need and changed some parts to those I always wanted on a Capri. The time spent away from it was worth it. I just didnt want to put updates of it going backwards again as I think 67 pages of zero progress can get old fast :thumbup1:

42. Finn

Finn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.9 Mk 3 Capri. 2.8 Mk 3 Capri
    You will do it! Finn.

43. Nick

Haha cheers Paul :thumbup1:

44. Copey

Copey Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Sierra Sapphire, Ford Capri
    It will get there! You say going backwards, but they have been worth while upgrades and will make it badass!

45. Crash & Burn

Drives:

Badass cars go backwards, sometimes more impressive than forward. Keep going!

46. Nick

Its time to resurrect this thread as some big things have changes as I mentioned at the start of the year. I convinced myself that the Nissan route was still good, but at the end of the day Ive always loved American cars. I decided as I am building my dream Capri, why not make it what I want. So I made the decision to whip out the Nissan and flog it.
    thumbnail_IMG_0274.jpg

Early in the year I managed to source what Id call a 'farm fresh' Ford 8.8 rear end.....This thing looked a mess! These come with a factory LSD and after market parts are cheap too.
    IMG_20171005_181001776.jpg
    I did some research and found out that the centre section on these is offset, so to get the centre yoke back in the middle one end of the casing needs to be narrowed by 74mm. I was able to source another short half shaft that I could use once this was done to make everything centred. So it was time to make a call to Si.
    IMG_20171028_093000947_BURST001.jpg
    He builds stock cars on the side so he has done something similar before to make things work. He chopped off the end and sectioned it.
    IMG_20171028_101123697.jpg

Once welded back on we test fit the short half shaft and it seated perfectly. So he then set the pinion angle and welded the leaf spring perches on for me.
    IMG_20171028_121309220.jpg

I took it home and test fitted the remainder of the parts I ordered from the states. East Coast Gear helped me out with the correct perches and U bolts, and also supplied the rear brake kit. I bought the discs over here to save on weight carriage costs.
    IMG_20171010_174455296.jpg
    IMG_20171111_094042643.jpg
    I also upgraded the axle bearings to the Yukon range which are alot tougher. I mocked all the brakes up on the axle as I knew I would need to weld some tabs on for the brake lines.
    IMG_20171203_112528616_HDR.jpg

With all that done we fitted it all on the car and Si came and welded the shock mounts and panhard rod brace in situ.
    IMG_20171230_123823223.jpg
    I ran the brake line while it was off the car. Then installed it for hopefully the final time. Panhard rod still to be fitted here.
    thumbnail_IMG_0008.jpg
    I forked out for a diff cover with a drain & fill for the oil, will save me removing the cover for future oil changes. Finally Vernon was a great help in helping me size up the Caltrac bars for the rear. I will be running a fair bit of power through this so this should help with traction.
    thumbnail_IMG_0075.jpg

Last week I finally took delivery of one of my dream engines. The Chevy LS1. I shall go more into this on the next update, but it should make for a fun car. This came with a BMW gearbox and adapter kit. After speaking to Elliot and Gene on here this should work well with the plans I have for it.
    thumbnail_IMG_0470.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0479.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0471.jpg
    Thanks for reading everyone.

Clockwork Orange and Casperv6 like this.
  47. Casperv6

Casperv6 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk3 long long longterm project
    Saw this on Instagram, Fair play, I imagine this will go like excrement off a shovel once its all buttoned up :D

48. Nick

Haha cheers mate

49. andy

Drives:
    Ford Mustang
    Where did you get the diff pan from Nick ? Im after one for my mustang.
    Good move on the LS1 , where'd you get that ? I was thinking I wouldn't mind going LS1 after seeing the twin turbo one on the skid factory ( on youtube if you don't know who they are) . Good update. I think the 8.8 is a good axle. I went with a 9" but its way to heavy and strong for what I need really but hey ho its in now.

50. mgentry90

mgentry90 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Gets better and better!

How much did ca kit sell for?

51. Nick

I got £1000 for the engine and box. Still got loads of bits about lol

52. Nick

Andy, i got the diff cover from Summit Racing in the states. The LS1 I came across on eBay out of a 2001 Camaro. Yeah I watch the Skid Factory, good show. Al knows his stuff. I would of loved to of gone with a 9" but was out of my budget at the time. I may well visit that route one day though.

53. andy

Drives:
    Ford Mustang
    I honestly think the 9" is overkill. The only reason I went with it was it came up for sale all ready to fit to a capri.
    I was looking at prices for an LS1 , aint cheap here are they, not like in the USA or Australia.

54. Nick

No Andy, I can safely say you are right on that one!

55. mgentry90

mgentry90 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Nick pm me what you have left for the Nissans

56. Nick

57. brettp

Drives:
    capri v8
    Ls is the way forward I want one but can't afford it at the moment this will be the nuts when finished

Nick likes this.
  58. Copey

Copey Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Sierra Sapphire, Ford Capri
    Its about time you put this up ;)

Nick likes this.
  59. gixergene

gixergene Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    BMW M3
    Loving your thread Nick. You've got one good looking Capri mate and the V8 will look right at home under the bonnet.

Me and Elliot was discussing rear handbrake issues with having big rear discs. You have the solution we want with the handbrake inside the discs. The problem we have is there's not many option of big callipers with a handbrake linkage on unless you want to take out a mortgage for. I have done to much work on mine to change back to a rear axle but as I have got cosworth rear suspension I can get a big brake kit for it.

Keep up the good work mate and keep the updates coming. I will be keeping a close eye on this one ;)

Gene.

Nick likes this.
  60. Nick

I was kind of lucky with that Gene, thats all the oem setup for the axle. So all a direct fit. You can get those 1 piston motorbike calpers from burtons, very small so could worth with a big disc maybe. I think they are also cable operated. May be on Rally Design if not Burton?

Cheers Gene
    Nick

61. steads

steads Steadspeed Restorations Staff Member Moderator Trader

Drives:
    capri 3.0s,
    Awesome Nick, looking good bud.

Nick likes this.
  62. Nick

Cheers dude

steads likes this.
  63. acepower84

acepower84 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk3 2.1, Mk2 2.0S, Octavia VRS
    A bit too nice....

Nick likes this.
  64. andygtt

Drives:
    Noble M12
    Swop to an LS1 engine... very nice indeed :)

Nick likes this.
  65. Berto

Berto Member Capri Power Member

Drives:
    ----
    Why I can´t see most of the picture? it says host.store.share, photobucket

66. andy

Drives:
    Ford Mustang
    Got excited there when I got the email. I thought there was an update !

While I'm here, any updates Nick?

67. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    me too

andy likes this.
  68. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    yeah .. come on Nick .. what/where are you up to now?

69. caprinerd

Drives:
    yawn oh nearly dozed off there

70. caprinerd

Drives:
    no updates for over a year

71. Nick

Sorry for the lack of updates. Ive had a family member very ill over the last few months so this has taken a back seat. Its involved alot of time off so had to sell the zetec Capri. Hoping to get back full time on this soon. I have a room full of parts that I have collected for it that I could do an update on at some point

Unfortunately now photobucket has ruined all the past photos. That company really has screwed the forum world!

Last edited: 27 November 2019
  72. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    No tech company has ever impressed me as much as this forum, which unfortunately depends on tech companies. Can't think of even one that hasn't screwed up some part of the world for their own presumptuousness. If more were operated with the consciousness of our forum's mods, the world would be a touch better place.

73. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    hey Nick
    nice you still popped by..
    Sorry to hear that your family are going through a tough time.. My best wishes to you, and hope things start to ease.

at least now with direct upload, and Post Image, its not such a bad problem... I tend to use a bit of both.

Nick likes this.
  74. caprinerd

Drives:
    A very true statement Al

hope your family get back on track mate

75. Nick

Thanks for the kind words all, we are moving in the right direction.

As promised I thought Id give a little update on where I was up to.

I managed to source a Turbo 400 auto box over here, so me and tom got that attached to the engine to swing in the hole.
    1.jpg

Then we got it swung in the hole. Unfortunatley alot of the tunnel had to be removed to get the drivetrain on a suitable angle that would work. Simon came over christmas last year to weld up the engine mounts for me. It looked well sat in the hole for sure. At this point I had the transmission just sitting on an axle stand.
    2.jpg

The steering was the first hurdle to get around. I tried 3 different manifolds and also a new universal steering coupler to help with space. None of these solutions worked unfortunately.
    4.jpg

I was speaking to Stu (Stuball) one night who managed to find a 4th set of manifolds. We did some measuring and scaling from the photos. We came to the conclusion that it was worth a go. Unfortunately from me ordering them they were on a 3 month back order from the states. Good news is they cleared the steering arm and we could move forward.

Then came one of many orders from some of the big boys in the states.
    3.jpg

I shall get you some more updates when I get back out there, rest assured it is moving forward, but as with us all money is always the problem. Still plenty to do in the meantime.

Thanks all
    Nick

76. caprinerd

Drives:
    thanks for the up date nick god to see its still on going, aint been on for a bit due to work but really good to see an up date boss

77. caprinerd

Drives:
    bump nick

Casperv6 likes this.
  78. Nick

Well the dreaded Covid-19 did Franky a favour and got some more progress.

We had the engine mounted, so it was time to mount the autobox. I found one ebay someone selling a TH400 universal weld up mount for a Chevy C10 over here and he gave up on his project. I won it and set about chopping it down and welding it up. The other side of the floor also has a 5mm sandwich plate when the mount is fitted so should give plenty of bracing.
    IMG_1734.JPG

Next we had to sort out a driveshaft while it was all in and the rear was sat at ride height. I measured with a tape measure from the box to the rear UJ, and sent a bad diagram to Dave Mac Prop Shafts recommended by Kris. They did a great job and turned it around very quick. I had to order some UJ straps from summit as it was an American UJ which he didnt stock the parts for but Summit racing had the goods.
    IMG_1738.JPG
    So next was to go about building a trans tunnel to cover the big ole Turbo 400. I wanted something with plenty of room around the trans but something I could mount a shifter too along with a touch screen for the Holley Terminator X ECU.
    thumbnail_IMG_2157.jpg

So I found a Group 4 Mk2 Escort tunnel on eBay which looked beefy enough. Spent the best part of a day massaging it to match the bulkhead lines best I could.
    301AB747-D860-45A6-AB4C-A3D411FF1308.JPG
    Then I set about welding it in. Im not a welder and this is my first real big job on the old boy. It took alot of climbing out the engine bay to check for fires as I was going. But after a good few hours and alot of swearing I got it in.

IMG_2309.JPG
    I seam sealed the joints and got good old Copey to fathom out what bloody colour of paint this was. He pulled a hat out of the rabbit and matched it great. So got the tunnel painted, then blended the back of it into the chassis colour.
    IMG_2438.JPG

The inside we had to sort of guess but it was close enough and more than likely will be getting a carpet kit anyway.
    IMG_2387.JPG

I also managed to find a friend selling some Manta GTE Recaro seats which sit low in the car to allow me to wear a bash hat if need be. I called on Simon (Big Dog) as I wanted to keep the Capri seat runners for full adjustment and not for any welds to break if the worst did happen. So he got the Manta recaros to chat to the Capri runners and hey presto..
    thumbnail_image1.jpg

So next plan is once COVIDs restrictions are lifted is to get the autobox over to Stuball for a once over and a few little goodies. But more on that when Stu works is magic on it.

Thanks all, hopefully more news soon.

Kris, fearthecat and Crash & Burn like this.
  79. fearthecat

fearthecat Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    himself crazy with 3 and a half Capri Ghias
    Nice big updatee :D Even though you have a way to go before it's finished, the changes in course over the years are pretty interesting and gave you experience to guide future decisions. All progress is good!

Nick likes this.
  80. caprinerd

Drives:
    yay theres life on the project, i can stop fretting now thanks Boss

81. caprimk3

caprimk3 Richard Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mondeo Mk3, 78' Capri 2.3S
    Nice to see an update :)

And I really like that trans mount!

82. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    Excellent Stuff Nick.. thats a big ol' trans tunnel that.. Nice to see you on it ..
    Say hello to Copey for me ..

83. Nick

Thanks all and will do Al

Clockwork Orange likes this.
  84. stuball

stuball Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    3.5 V8 Capri
    As per Nicks request, little bit of an update for his thread :)

A while back he asked if I would be happy to look over/rebuild the TH400 gearbox and got it dropped off last weekend.

Made a small start today just to check that nothing horrible had happened to it previously (chunks in the oil pan for instance)

External parts off first, so tail housing, speedo drive and governor removed. (propshaft nose bush is going to need replacing but not biggy)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And popped the pan off to have peak inside

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nothing terrible, the fluid is a bit dark but doesn't smell burnt, so more than likely is just a bit old. There is a thin layer of shiney paste in the bottom of the pan but no chunky bits so this is more than likely material from worn out clutch steels

Hopefully more in depth disassembly next week (bodywork to do on my own capri now!)

Stu

Nick likes this.
  85. Nick

Cheers Stu. So not too bad so far. Looks cleaner than I imagined. Be a good thing to see come together especially when the new parts come.

Thanks for the help mate

86. caprinerd

Drives:
    Good to see its in good hands, that cork gasket dont look that old either