Norwegian 78' 2.3S Project

Discussion in 'Members Capris' started by caprimk3, 3 April 2012.

1. caprimk3

caprimk3 Richard Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mondeo Mk3, 78' Capri 2.3S
    At last I got my Capri :banana: :banana: :banana:

The Capri is a 78' 2.3S which was sold new in Germany and exported to Lithuania at some point.
    All the modifications was done in Germany, and as you can see they have a bit funny taste there :stunned:

Anyway, I have since 05' been without a Capri, and has been longing after one again after that, but no money was availiable.
    So I told myself, when I get some money, one of the tings I wanted to do was to buy a Capri again.
    One year ago I lost my mom due cancer, so I haritaged some money after her house was sold..

Fast forward to this winter.
    Have been looking for a Capri since Nov, but either there was no Capri for sale, or they cost to much for the state tey was in, or they wasen't like I wanted them to be..

But during the last months, my mate found a couple of Capri's in Lithuania, as his wife is from there.
    And a couple of weeks ago he was visiting his relatives down there.
    The second day he was able to see the Capri on my behalf and he and me was talking back and forth over the telephone and I desided he could buy the Capri for me.

Last Friday we flew down to Lithuania to the town where the Capri was located in, as luck would e this was the same town as his relatives lives in..

A few pics when I saw the Capri for the first time
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First of all let me say that the roads in Lithuania is rubbish, exept the 4 lane motorway
    The roads around city was worst, like this one, there was big pot holes everywhere, people driving like drunk to avoid the holes.
    99% of the cars was on std suspension, saw just 2 lowered cars there...

[​IMG]

And this was greeting us when we woke up on Saturday, the return to home day..
    Luckly the snow went to water shortly after
    [​IMG]

Arriving at the yard where the Capri and the other cars was parked, first was to fire up the engine.
    Fired a little easyer then the night before, had been stored for a long time..
    After it idled by itself, I started to pump the front tires as these was allmost flat.

My mate drove a 2003 Pajero with a big caravan and his brother a another Pajero..

And a few pics right before we left the city (can't remember the name)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One thing I noticed allmost instant was the lack of steering, as in 2 inches of slope at the steering wheel and tracking was out, was pulling heavly to left or right as the road changes..
    But we had no time to check, we had to catch a ferry after the first 200km of driving..

On the way to the ferry it got a bit scary a few times.
    First of all it was blowing like mad non stop, and with the steering issues I had enough to do so to speak..
    After a little while it began to rain, first softly and then more and more untill the rain stopped.
    A little further down the road we hit hail storm, but that went after a few km's.
    Further down the road it suddly was snowing heavly, and me driving on 205 tires with the steering problems began to be little worried, and at this point we was doing around 110km/h.
    It was like hitting a glass wall and on the other side there was snow storm and 5-10cm of snow on the road.
    We had to slow down to 50-70 to be safe side.

Again we was luckly this stretch of snow storm lasted just 10-20km..

Even mure further down the road there was sluch ish snow for a 30 min drive, but nothing on the road, just in the air.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On top of all this, my self parking on the wipers are shot and I was water skidding 80% of the time where there was water on the road..

More on this epic journey later :childish:

2. caprimk3

Drives:
    And story goes on :lol:

10 min before the dock we pulled up at a Statoil station to fuel up before the longest stretch from south Sweden to the border Sweden-Norway.....

Right after the station the road turned bad again with plenty of big pot holes and actualle holes in the asphalt where there was nothing under to suport the holes :duh:

Arrived at the dock and waiting for my mate to be finished with the papers at the cstom office
    [​IMG]

Soon after I was waiting to drive into the ferry
    [​IMG]

When finally parked up, I was given a parking row for myself, they must had see this was a good one :lol: :rock:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As told you before it was blowing all the way the 200km of road, and it continued on the ferry..
    I had very trouble to sleep that night as the waves was gigantic, my body was mowed up and down in the bed by 2", and in the all other directions as well.
    Feery time was 8pm to 9.30 in the morning..

New dayand new country, Sweden this time..
    The roads was a delight to drive on as allways in Sweden

[​IMG]

Nothing much happned, we just stopped for fuel one time and had a rest in Gothenburg for some MacDonalds..

Nice brigde nt far from the Norwegian border..
    [​IMG]

Me driving lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the border Sweden-Norway there was full stopp, long rows of trailers waiting for clearance of the custom papers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we was waiting for our turn at the custom office, there was both snow and hail, but luckly it melted quick
    [​IMG]

The stop at the border took us 3.5 hours, was very glad to carry on..

Nothing much did happend, just a 30min ferry after 100km and two stops visiting some friends

Oh, one more thing DID happend. :wtf1:
    About 2-3km from my mates house I was in a bit hurry as t was 1.30 at night and I wanted to collect my other car and drive home, my mate has a big yard I can park the Capri, I don't have space in my street in the town...
    The last stretch was a black back road with no or little trafic.
    As I was speeding I saw some lights in my mirror in the distance, but I did think it was from a car on the other side of the river wich goes alongside with my road.
    Was nearly at my mates driveway and I saw the lights coming fast behind aprox 500m from me, that's have to be the cops I was thinking.
    And it was, the catch me up, in my mates driveway and the blue lights came on...
    They had no record of my speed, but they said that if they did had, I had lost my licence there and then.
    I got of with a warning thank God.

Let me say I drove very carfully the 10 miles to my flat :lol:

Today the Capri got the first wash
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Christopher Graham likes this.
  3. maltesecapriman

maltesecapriman Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri Mk1 Facelift,Mk2,Mk3 and several others
    Rather like the two tone interior mate. Wish you best of luck with it :thumbup1:

4. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    Hey, great story of the hunt & conquer ! I think I did notice a modification or two, since you mention that. :) You might have some of your own in mind, but looks like you've got a clean, presentable car. All the attentiveness of your trip home will carry through your ownership, too. I get the feeling that you and this car will grow old together. ;) :thumbup1:

5. mick

mick Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri 2.8i
    hey well done brave journey in a car with bad steering. nice to see somthing different 2.3 v6

6. Diana Midnight

Diana Midnight Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Black 1.6 GTS (JPS) . 1978 3.0 Ghia auto. 2014 Alfa Romeo Mito Sportiva
    Looked like a great road trip mate. Nice contrast in colours by the way :thumbup1:
    Kev.

7. Nick

Nick A human. Being. Staff Member Forum Tech

Drives:
    BMW
    What a road trip eh! looks a very nice car mate, good to see another 2.3 rescued. Keep us updated :thumbup1:

8. 2.8i TIC

2.8i TIC Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri, Lightning
    Nice car buddy!! :)

9. roadkill

roadkill Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 2.0v6
    Like The wheels and front spoiler, dont like the interior, nor the rest of the bodykit.

10. Arunas

Arunas Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Ford Capri 2.8i '82, Ford Capri 2,3V6 '84
    Wow.. I know this car. It was imported from Germany to Lithuania in winter 2005/2006 and few months was stored in my garage.. Young lady from which You bought your Capri was the second owner of this car in LT. And city name where you bought your Ford is Kaunas :)
    Mechanically this Capri isn't in bad shape (steering problem is caused by warn steering coupling), but body will need serious restoration work. Especially door posts, rear arches (it seems that rear arches where replaced during last restoration, when Capri was in Germany, and this job was done not 100% properly), strut top mounts and floors near leaf-springs front mounts. I'm not sure about sills because they are covered by body kit panels.
    You can find some pictures of your Capri in Lithuanian Ford Capri club page ( http://capri.club.lt/galerija/ ).

BTW it's not the first Capri exported to Norway from Lithuania during last few years. Couple of years ago this monster Capri also was sold to Norway:

View attachment 13311

BR

Arunas

11. caprimk3

Drives:
    Hi Arunas!

Great to see some pics of it :thumbup1:
    If there is a thread on it please share, because I diden't find any..

Funny story you should mention the Monster, it's actually owned by my mate who bougth me this Capri now :headbang::
    The monster is parked at the same yard as the wash pictures was taken, can probl take some pics of it in a few days..

Yep the strut tower plates are not smart looking indeed, that will be adressed later, as does the arches and the other body panels.
    I have planned a full resto incl full respray next year, this year I will just make it mechanical good and safe..

The steering is not the steering coupling as I belived it to be, it's the rack mounting bushes that are shot, I have allready ordred the poly ones..

The last few days I have replaced the sparkplugs, and today the fan belt, distributor cap, rotor and thermostat, but the thermostat house cracked, so I'm in hunt for a new one..
    HT leads are ordred as well from the bay.

Next up is to make the brakes actually brake.
    And toe angle is completly wrong as well, the inner half of the front tires are allmost completly bald.

And I checked the valve clearances yesterday, all was ok exept one, the rearmost on the right bank had zero cleaance, so I adjusted it to the correct spec.
    Was runnig much smoother afterwards..

When the technial is ok, I gonna change the MkII grill to MkIII, and clear indicators.
    The front spoiler will be black and so will the turbo tail, which is actually a genuine rubber item under all that awful bondo.

And the homemade center consol has to go, will change it for a 2.8I item, maybe with a CCI concol, may paint it white tho..
    The wood plate around the instrument cluster has to go as well, incl that hidius steering wheel..

I thinking of replacing that with tis, what do you guys think?
    [​IMG]

Self park and interval of the wipers are shot, think it's the wiper stalk, I have one spare.
    None of the extra gauges work..
    The bulb around the temp and fuel is not working, nor does the warning lights either..

But I will improove this bit by bit to the season begins :thumbup1:

12. caprimk3

Drives:
    As stated in technical help I had some problems with my thermostat, as it woulden't open.
    Got the thermostat to work today, got trapped air out of the system and now things seems to work.
    The bakside cover for the thermostat was leaking a bit during warm up, but seems to by dry now.

Anyway has ordered a new motorcraft thermostat and gasket from my local Ford dealer to be on the safe side if I want to change on a later stage..

Also fitted new HT wires, red ones today, much better looking than the yellow ones :thumbup1:

Fittet new valvecover gaskets, but really need new fastners with the spread force clamp washeres as they are missing, was a bit of oil leak afterwars, but not much..

But I think my instrument cluster voltage regulator has taken a vacation, as the temp gauge only reads 1/4 when fully warm and my fuel gauge only 3/4 when full.

Also found a few litres of water in the boot, think either the tailgate or window gasket has gone bad, or it may be the cracks around the heavly bondo turbo tail spoiler that let the water in..
    May test with a new tailgate first to work out where the leak is located...

Sorry no pics today, have used up all my internet download for this month, so the net is sloooow :angry:

13. caprimk3

Drives:
    Wooohoooo, my new steering wheel is at my local post office, gonna pick it up later today...
    Glad I did check my emails as I was thinking my steering wheel had taking ages to arrive, found out it is located at my local post office and I haven't receive any notice from the post office at all..
    And it has been there for a week allready!!!!!
    The Norwegian postal service is crap these days, more and more postal office is been closed and the food shops are taking over the postal service locally...

Anyway, back to the Capri..
    Todays order is:

Fit new steering rack bushes.
    Fit the Mk3 grill I got a few days ago (Thanx very much Jostein :thumbup1: )
    Fit the new steering wheel.
    Fit the new gear knob.
    Fit the heavy duty gas struts if I can get hold of 4 ball studs for them.

And maybe get it on a ramp at my mates garage, if it's not taken..
    If so this will be the first real look under to see how good or bad it is regarding rust and dents etc...

I will take a pic or two during the prosess :thumbup1:

My daily driver, a Mondeo Mk3 also needs some TLC today..
    Finally got hold of a spare power window mecanism for the driver door as I have been running without the ablity to get the window up or down for a month or so...
    The car looks aweful since it hasen't been washed the last 2000km or so...
    Each time I close the window the window goes down a few mm's and it also does the same when driving on bad roads.

Oh. don't remember if I have told you, but me and a mate have found out it's not a 2.3S, BUT a 2.0S.
    Sometime during the past, someone put in a 2.3 engine and got a 2.3S in it's title papers.
    Don't know if thas was done in Germany or in Lithuania, but the papers and car is legal.
    I did stumbled a bit when I saw the 2.0S stckers in the engine bay first time, but it make sense now :childish:

Update a bit later lolol

14. Arunas

Drives:
    Engine has been changed to 2,3 in Germany. The first owner of this car in Lt planed to put Rover SD1 under the hood. But plans where changed and Capri was sold.

15. capparess

capparess Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri mrk2 3.0 s & 3.0 ghia
    epic road trip nice car :thumbup1:

16. SammyB

SammyB Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Ford capri 1984 1.6
    Thats a nice steering wheel :headbang::

17. markske67

markske67 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Honda Civic EK3 + Capri Mk3 2.3S
    Great car, epic hunting it down and ferrying it back home. I also have a 2.3S (1983) which started life on German roads.

18. slosstopher

slosstopher Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1986 2.8i Special
    A very good read there buddy,good luck with the new car.

19. caprimk3

Drives:
    At last I can post pics again :thumbup1:

Dirty grill, but mainly ok, just a few cracks here and there.
    [​IMG]

Bagde now removed, got a new one from ebay a few days ago.
    Sorry no pics of that..

Some new parts fitted
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

New steering wheel fited, used the old hub, but had to make new holes as it had wrong PCD and the oles needed to be rotaded a bit
    [​IMG]

New gear knob in the same style as the steering wheel
    [​IMG]

And the water in the booth as told you about, I now suspect the sunroof seal and blocked rear water drain hoses caused this as I can't see signs of water from the tailgate rubber/window seal og from the spoiler.
    But I will check this out this week as I has a car lift for myself from mid week to Sunday.
    The rain got there after some heavy rain, and may have been some water from the trip from Lithuania..
    [​IMG]

Got rid of all the water
    [​IMG]

And this is my tailgate hold up tool lolol as the tailgate weights a ton!!!!
    [​IMG]

Got refurbed heavy duty tailgate struts from Jostein, but no one around here has spare ball studs for them, may order some from Martin @ Capri Gear later...

And I want these if I can't get tke Lenso wheels, these are Roto RB:
    [​IMG]

And got the instrument facia from Elliot, my wrap foil idea diden't turn that out great, so may paint it..

20. caprimk3

Drives:
    Some update...

First a little how-to, if it help other you are welcome to make that part sticky :thumbup1:

Want safe/more bright rear lights and for little money?
    Then read on ;)

First open your tailgate and take of your rear light lenses.
    Store them in the booth or another safe place.
    Take out the bulbs and store them also in a safe place, I used the lenses up side down, I like some order in the mess lolol

You should now have something like this...
    [​IMG]

Undo the screws for the light cluster inside the booth..
    [​IMG]

Now mask up the rear clusters, because you are going to spray paint them in a bit...
    [​IMG]

Now buy some sort of chrome spray, are many good ones out there...
    My first coat of chrom
    [​IMG]

Second
    [​IMG]

Third coat and my last...
    [​IMG]

And before fitting all together again, clean the bodywork around the bodywork for the lights, and also clean the lenses and bulbs, renew the bulbs if nessasary
    [​IMG]

Close up of the painted unit
    [​IMG]

Refit, and you should have brighter and safer rear lights :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Next for today was to get it up on my mates lift as he has a short vacation...
    [​IMG]

Not too bad underside, have seen far worse, just need a bit welding and clean up here and there...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And as I had my suspection, the gearbox is of the external gear linkage type..
    [​IMG]

To change it for a 5 speed T9, I need new propshaft and drill the crossmember, right?
    Anything else??

And there is too damn much color on this car!!!!!
    Red, yellow, white, black and blue... There are a bit of white too somewhere, grrrrr
    [​IMG]

The steering rack bushings was completly shot, was very gelo :nono:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fitted new red poly ones (race).
    Now there are steering with just a hint of movment on the steering wheel :rock:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just needs to clamp those security tabs, I ran out of steam today, my legs was shacking crazy and my eyes was allmost crosseyed, so I had to call it a day :lol:

Brakes are next on my list....

But a big BUMMER was the fact my clutch went ghost when I was to drive the cappa out of the garage...
    It has een bad all the time I've had this one, but I hoped it should hold a bit longer...

Good thing with a new clutch and a 5 speed box is that I don't need to take it down for a long time :lol:

21. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Great pics, the lift really helps for that. Looks like your 4-speed gearbox is the same as mine, which I used to think was more common. I've seen various names for it, not sure if any of them is universally-accepted or which is "proper". You're really giving the car some good attention... :thumbup1:

22. therealpinto

therealpinto Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri turbo
    There are type F external linkage boxes with the same spline count as the type 9. The MkI we built was a US 2.8, and that prop did fit the type 9. So check before you buy :)

Regards

Gustaf

23. Finn

Finn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.9 Mk 3 Capri. 2.8 Mk 3 Capri
    Jesus! that's some road trip, looks like the fronts were slicks, still all home safe, best of luck with it. Finn.

24. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    nice to see you getting in and about the jobs...
    you may find that fitting a T9 will require the chassis mounting points moved back a bit, i relation to where they are now,
    theres been a few guys on here doing a good cut n shut crossmember alteration..
    and yeah, there appears to be a lot of colour on there!

25. caprimk3

Drives:
    Thanx fellas :thumbup1:

I know the T9 4 and 5 speed has a difference at 25mm for the mounting holes, don't know how the F gearbox is related to these...

Did some hours in the garage today also..

First I unbolted the Calipers in front and checked the pistons, they moved fairly freely, so I bolted them up again and grinded of the brake pads a bit so they could slide in with to much power.
    But the brakes are still crap, suspect there is some air trapped somewhere.
    Will change to steel wrapped brake hoses when the traffic station man has approved the car for Norwegian plates.
    They don't even like things that make a car safer, bigger brakes steel sleeved hoses, cage etc, stupid people....

But I was able to rip some of the dashboard apart today, to change the instrument cluster bulbs for some LED ones.
    Still not bright enough, even after removing the bulb caps, you know the blue ones inside the cluster.

But what a mess at the backside of the dashboard, wires everywhere, and they have use lot's of the blue crimp on thingy that steals power from the orginal wires, don't know the name of these in english..

Also changed the wiper/light stalks as I had no self parking or interval on the wipers, but they are still the same..
    Any ideas guys?...

This is how the dashbord looked like when I left for today..
    [​IMG]

What a mess...
    [​IMG]

And as I had a suspicion, non of the extra gauges was wired.
    Just removed 4 screws and this is how it looked on the backside
    [​IMG]

3 of the gauges will be at the top instrument facia where the radio used to be.
    My sterio will be located where the CB radio was, exept I will be using a 2.8I center console with a CCI front section to mount the cd player etc...

And yes the front tyres are allmost bald on the inside due incorrect toe-in, was fine when left Lithuania, bald 1000km after, not that strange it was a bit handfull lolol

26. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    The Burton catalogue calls them a Type F gearbox, and Motomobil calls them a type H, I think. I gotta be careful...

27. caprimk3

Drives:
    Had some hours in the Capri today, tidning up some wires and added some ekstra for the gauges etc.
    Did a proper solder and shrink wire job, not the a bad one as the former owners had done..
    More wires and stuff tomorrow..

Mk3 grill is on, taken before I painted the grill a few days ago...
    [​IMG]

After the glass in the indicators was forced out after 1.5 hour in the owen, I begun to fix the broken mounting tabs on my secondhand indicators....

Broken tabs..
    [​IMG]

Closer look
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

To fix the mounting tabs, I use someting called styrene.
    Styrene is used in model railroad buildings and more and more in rc projects as I do from time to time...
    Styrene is cheap, easly shaped and comes in all sizes and forms, from sheets to rods etc..

First layer of styrene, the main one..
    I used 5 min epoxy for these
    [​IMG]

Repaired tabs, sheets was laminated on top of each other and cut to size..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the prossess of heating the house in the owen, they was a bit crook, one of them bad.
    [​IMG]

So the glass I ordred from this forum, sadly don't fit my housing so I had to use the glass I ordred when I bought the car..
    Finished product..
    [​IMG]

New thermostat is going to be fitted during next week, just waiting on the gasket for the star formed backhouse for the thermostat.
    New seals for the calipes is also going to be fitted if I can get some spare time in the mates garage..

28. capri280

capri280 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Wife MAD!!!!
    Just read this for the first time,
    Nice find, and some good work there.

29. caprimk3

Drives:
    Thanx mate

Did some work on the cappa yesterday, before the heaven open at full gap..

A mate has loaned me some tailgate ball studs until I get mine from Martin.
    I had to convert my bolt on tailgate struts to the later ball stud as I got hold of some refilled heavy duty ones..
    [​IMG]

My old struts mounting bolt
    [​IMG]

I managed to unbolt both front indicators, but left hand side was a bit stuborn.
    And fitted the right hand side front indicator with clear glass, but then I had to hurry up and get all the stuff inside as it was pooring down....

Did not get any sleep last night so I have been playing with my instrument pod, getting better light..

First I needed to get a new fuel gauge as my needle broke after beeing bent for long time..
    Also fitted my voltage regulator from Martin as well, no pics of that, sorry..

This was my donor cluster for the fuel gauge
    [​IMG]

My 6 pod cluster...
    [​IMG]

Top half of with the glass...
    [​IMG]

Empty cluster
    [​IMG]

This is what happens when you are using 5watt bulbs instead of the 3 as you should use.
    My PCB is also burnt in a few places, but only a few warning lights is not working, need a new pcb, the donor one was burnt badly..
    Just point out that the light is a LED one, much less wattage on these, but still not enough light...
    [​IMG]

This LED strip was bought at my local hobby shop for less than 8 pounds, it has 60 smd diodes and can be cut every 3 leds for custom lengths.
    I choose green as I like the orginal look, I'm no fan of the red Audi/BMW ***** lights, nor do I like blue either, that belong the emergency rigs..
    [​IMG]

Finished cluster
    [​IMG]

I like it a lot
    [​IMG]

Close up pic
    [​IMG]

And roughly how it will look in the car...
    [​IMG]

Now the question....
    Where is the best place to hook up the wires for these leds??
    I will not use one of the bulb holders as I don't wanna overload the pcb,

My idea is probl to connect it up to the dimmer so I can adjust the brightness as I want to, if no one else is having a better idea??

On my pictures, the pod is connected to a 7.4 rc battery, so it will probl be a great deal stronger on 12v ++...

30. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Very crafty, I like your solutions and the pics of them, but sadly can't help with electickeral issues. You'd better finish, though, before all your neighbours start bringing their cars for you to fix. :thumbup1:

31. mike wills

mike wills Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri mk1 gt v4 x type jag rover 75 cdi estate laverda668
    :thumbup1: just came across your post from road trip home to your last topic with light cluster you are starting at a good speed getting the jobs done and sounds like you have long term plans nice rainbow colours on the car but looks good in photos so keep the posts coming and good look with the rest of the progect

32. caprimk3

Drives:
    Thanks chaps :thumbup1:

Installed the instrument cluster today, works brilliant I must say :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

My camera can't pick up the real color at any setting, will se if my old camera can do it better..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also fitted both my clear indicators with chrom bulbs today
    [​IMG]

Works too :thumbup1:
    [​IMG]

As a plus after changing my instrument cluster voltage regulator is that my wipers now working as they should, both park and intermit now available :lol:
    My fuel gauge also working perfectly :rock:

33. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Great to hear good results -- I now have some wiper/light stalk switches, and noticed that some of them have the intermittent option, and some don't. (So I suppose there's some difference in the wiring loom on some models...) :boxedin:

34. caprimk3

Drives:
    Today I covered the 2.8I center consol with 10mm foam rubber, then I covered it with black speaker carpet, result was brilliant if I may say so.

Sorry no pics this time, has passed my download limit for this month...

Has also covered the top bits for the center consol with re-color stuff.
    My local supplyer had no dye in stock, so I try with the re-color.
    Getting closer to black now with 5 coats, may have to do a few more..

Need a few bits to make the dashboard complete again, such as lower part with ashtray, and black glovebox..

Will eventually turn the complete interior to black later, as I'm not too keen on the white and red as it's now..

To paint plastic parts black, was it bumperblack the one to use??
    I think I read something about that in a post Copey did....

35. caprimk3

Drives:
    If everything goes according to plan, I will take a 200km trip and back on Monday and back.

Me and my mate shall be meeting a few fellas from our rc club to have some fun and good food on the bonfire

Will snap a few shots along the way to look at, but won't upload before the first next month due I have allready used up my internet volume for this month..

My gearstick was shortned today to fit my 2.8I center consol.
    Also fitted the console, is very pleased how it turned out, just as I wanted it to be.
    Parcel shelf side mounting was also bolted in, so now my parcel shelf is placed where it should be in the first place..
    Those ugly blue rear seat belts was also binned when doing todays work.

Still plenty to do before drive off on Monday:

#Fit the engine thermostat with the correct gaskets.
    #Adjust the front tracking.
    #Fit metal brake hoses.
    #Fit 13" RS7 wheels borrowed from a mate.
    #Fill up some engine oil (won't change it yet, clear as a day still)
    #Glue in my dashboard facia to the frame.
    #Fit those xtra gauges in the dashboard facia.
    #Fit new wires for 3x gauges, clock in center console and cigaret lighter.
    #Paint and fit new lower dashboard part with ashtray.
    #Bolt down the parcel shelf as it's heavy and walking arond on top of the side mountings.
    #Clean the interior.
    #Wash the car

Think that was it for this time...

3 June is the local Capri meet and the following weekend there is a ALL Ford meet..

The first things I will do is the brakes, steering and electrical stuff..
    All the other stuff is beeing done one by one if I have the time....

Can't wait to take the cappa out for a spinn again :banana: :banana: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

36. caprimk3

Drives:
    A few pics of the new center console, I'm happy how it turned out :thumbup1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really happy to get rid of that white homemade center concol. :banana: :banana:

37. capri280

capri280 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Wife MAD!!!!
    Very clever solution with the cluster light,

38. caprimk3

Drives:
    Hit a bit of hickup during todays work....

When starting to bleed the brakes after putting on some metal brakehoses, I spotted a puddle under the car when I had it on the lift.
    Turns out it's leaking from the brake booster and it feels a bit crispy when feeling with my finger..

No wonder the brakes was bad if the brake booster hasen't done it's job properly.

Jostein with the splendid racing replica Mk1, may have one complete unit with booster and master cylinder, thanx for that, because I have planned to attend 2 car shows and one rc meet with the Capri during a short period of time..
    I need my brakes now!!!!

But never the less, I will take that 400km trip on Monday with the cappa, just need to drive a bit safer with the not so perfect brakes.
    Have got hold of some temporary license plates that is just valid for Monday, so I want to use the after all that work I have done to the cappa lately...

Did allmost complete the dashboard today, just waiting for the painted lower dashboard panels to dry after a lick of paint..

39. roadkill

roadkill Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 2.0v6
    I have a question, how low is that front spoiler of yours? Because in germany you can buy brand new replicas, but i'm a bit worried about the height, since my car is lowered about 3cm than the standard ones.

40. caprimk3

Drives:
    Don't know mate, but I think it's just right hight wice, I can measure tomorrow for you.
    Don't think my car is lowered, but it's a bit sagged front and back due age, just a tad lower than a stock 2.8I, me thinks...

Changed the engine oil for some 20/50 Penzoil yesterday, nearly the only brand sold in my town that delivers 20/50.
    But think there has been a monkey or two wrenching on my car, the oil filter was just finger tight, the seal fell off the oilfilter when it was unscrewed and the drain plug was allmost completly round.
    Had to use a wice plier to get it of, will change the drain plug when the next oil change is due...

Engine is still making tapping noise, even after new oil and lead addtives, so a mate of mine will help me out adjust the valves next week.
    Valve springs are too weak, making valve float at approx 5300, way too early!!!!
    I tink this engine is more tired than it looks by the eye...
    Have to order a carb rebuild kit, I suspect the acclerator diagraph is broken, the engine hesitate to give more revs in any given rev range when the loud pedal is pushed....

Had a bit of set back last weekend, or a major one if you want..
    You see, I had little time to get things done before i took the 500km trip last Monday..
    Bwfore the trip I wanted to wash the car, and I wanted to remove those greasy fingerprints on the fenders.
    My mate had no degreaser so I used one I had on my shelfes.
    Big mistake as I was thinking it was premixed with water by me, turns out it was non mixed degreaser.

So now I have etching damage on bonnet, roof and tailgate.
    Looks like you have driven on salted winter roads, white layer of shittyness all over..

I have tryed to use ever cleaning stuff available, but nothing works.

So earlyer today I wet sanded the bonnet with 1500 grit paper, and then waxing.
    Better then the etching look, but not as good as regular paint, and I'm no good at waxing.

To making it even worse, I will be at a local car show this Sunday with my cappa, now it's looking very bad..

Had plan to maybe paint it next year, but now I HAVE to, I have no choise...

Will take a few pics tomorrow...

41. caprimk3

Drives:
    A few pics....

Car is now ready for the Capri meet tomorrow..

[​IMG]

And here are the damaged roof, too strong degreaser
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here the bonnet AFTER I have wet sanded with 1500 grit paper, then waxed, should have used rubbing compound between the sanding and wax, but I haven't time to do that...
    [​IMG]

My neighbour will help me out to fix the roof tomorrow evening, hope for gods sake it will be better afterwards..

Good news is the interior is complete again, looks much better now I think
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A mate of mine has lend me a set of 13" RS7 as my front tires was shot
    [​IMG]

Changed some bulbs in the clock and extra gauges for some green LED ones with bayonet socket, work brilliant, better than stock anyway..

Also changed my temprature sensor in on the engine, but now the needle dosen't move at all, think maybe the wire is broken somewhere..

But now I'm ready for the Capri meet, will be at the same ground as a Am-car meet, so will be plenty to look at, as long it not pooring down I will take some pics :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :banana:

42. BeardedMidget

BeardedMidget Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1983 24v
    Looks 100% better with the new interior and wheels mate. Top job! I especially like the deep dished steering wheel.

43. Doc

Doc Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    SAAB Aero Hot and 1978 Mk2 2.0S
    i like a good honest budget resto thread , looking good mate :thumbup1:

44. caprimk3

Drives:
    Thanx mates :thumbup1:

Few pics of my cappa in it's first Capri meet last Sunday
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have ordred a full set of poly bushes for the suspension, plus exhaust ones and bump stops..

Later this evening I gonna meet my part supplyer for new track control arms, carburetor rebuild kit and radiator cap, as I suspect it's a bit worn, I can see the rubber gasket is allmost flatt..

During the Capri meet I got hold of a secondhand brake booster, just need new master cylinder now.
    I don't know if I want to put in new seals in the master cylinder...

45. caprimk3

Drives:
    A little update...

Got a parcel from UK today :thumbup1:
    What could it be??
    [​IMG]

Yup, those are my Flo-flex poly bush set I bought @ ebay :thumbup1:
    I also bought the exhaust hanger bushes + the bump stops over the rear axle..
    [​IMG]

I bet those will transform my cappa to a rail going one, now is like driving a old caddilac..

But firstly I will change my master cylinder and booster during the weekend...
    Then I will be ready to get my plates :banana:

46. caprimk3

Drives:
    Nothing much to report, exept I have moved the car to a double garage, nice low rent of a old lady.
    Dry too, that's was not the case with the tent, all damp and stuff...

But small things has been done...

Remember these? - the gray 2.8I headrests
    [​IMG]

Now you won't see them any more....
    Bought some Mondeo headrest covers with logo from ebay...
    If the headrest had been a few mm larger, I woulden't be able to get them on..
    [​IMG]

Acs pump on the carb is shot, so new ones was on order..
    [​IMG]

Red one is the new diagraph
    [​IMG]

Fitted
    [​IMG]

And I have a apointment with the test center the 24th July, so hopefully it goes allright and my plates will be on the car a few days later :banana:

47. caprimk3

Drives:
    Had a few hours in the garage today...

Finnaly I got around to change to old booster and master cylinder..

Here the old one is removed
    [​IMG]

My mate came for a visit and did take a picture of me when working, diden't notice at that point.. :stunned:
    [​IMG]

New one in, for now I borrow this of a friend
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow I gonna bleed the brakes and hope it's better than the old one :thumbup1:

48. Nick

Nick A human. Being. Staff Member Forum Tech

Drives:
    BMW
    Getting through the jobs matey. I love this car, though I am partial to a red cappa. Keep up the good work mate :thumbup1:

49. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    It does look a lot better, worth all the work you put in. No leftover pieces on the floor, nice clean job! :thumbup1:

50. caprimk3

Drives:

I hope there will not be any heavy rain in the future..

The oval gasket holder thingy behind the brake booster was wrong for the new one..
    Old one was simply a cone against the oval thingy, the new one require a flat pice of metal so the gasket can sit on either side..
    Will see if my mate has that item too....
    Looks like the thingy is bolted down with two bolts...

I have very rarly left over bits after the job is done :lol: , but it can be a bit messy, but I try to clean up during the job if I'm not knakered or little time left..

I soooo looking forward to get the plates on it and USE it :snack: :chug:
    24th this month I will have green lights for my plates or not, depents on the fellla on the traffic station where my cappa will be registred..

51. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    good luck to you for the registration ... would be nice to get a green light...
    but if not then at least (hopefully) you will only get a small list you can work thru that 'officialdom' will accept on round 2..
    but you have done many good things so far, hope it all goes well

52. caprimk3

Drives:
    Did bleed the brakes today, and now we have brakes B) :banana:

Did only test on gravel road since it has no plates yet, pulled a little to the left..

Time for some testing on tarmac road soon, with testing plates, think it will be good after some heavy braking :rock:

53. caprimk3

Drives:
    As I told in the previous post my brakes now work :banana: , but not as good as a new car, but I can stop the car safely now :thumbup1:

Last weekend I did a trip to the Gatebil show, known for all those crazy drivers and cars..
    The trip did not sail on rails unfortunately, unlike most of my trips, may be the age of our cars, or bad mechanics in the early days..

10 miles or so from home it was time to fill up the tank for the journey..
    Filling went great but inside the station I was looking at the Capri, and the was something dripping down on the pavment from the engine bay..
    Opened the bonnet to find water dripping from the choke housing, did thighten up the screws a bit, baybe a 1/4 to half turn on each screw, seemed to do the trick but I was not sure..

Everthing went fine for the next 3/4 or so of the trip.
    Went in a grocerie shop for some proviant.
    Right after starting the car, both the fuel gauge and the temp gauge went to the roof,
    Before this happend both gauges was working correct, fuel was at 3/4 or so and the temp was reading 1/4 from bottom as it allways have.
    Ahhh, bugger, I told myself, not the voltage regulator again as I have replaced that not long ago...
    The engine also seemed to be hot, the heater was blowing glowing air it seems and since the water gauge was creeping from 7/8 and still climbing I pulled over at a bus stop to let out some water, but there was just a litre or so of water coming out of the radiator when taking of the cap.
    So apparently the engine was not that hos as I thought..
    Filled some water and drove some more..

A few kilometers up the road it was cueing up, and everything went fine the first 5 minutes...
    Then there was some steam coming out of the bonnet, not all the time, but a puff here and there.
    The steam clouds seems to getting closer so I opned the bonnet and let it stay open with two water bottles for the rest of the way to the show, about 2-3km..

After the show was over we went back to the car just in time for the heaven to open.
    Opened the bonnet and the radiator cap, to find only a litre or so of water missing.
    Even the car had been parked for the last 6-7 hours, the fuel and temp gauges went to rhe roof.

After driving for 60 miles or so, the gauges went back to normal reading, fuel gauge showing correct amount of fuel and temp reading 1/4 from cold as it allwas have been reading..

After driving for 400km, the car missfiring after a stop for a dinner.
    Strange as I reckon the car to use 1l/100km...
    Filled up and I got 40 liters of fuel in the tank, so both my calculations and the fuel gauge was reading right.
    I suspect the carb to not working properly, or beeing very dirty inside.

At a toll boot my window fell to the bottom of the door when winding down the window.
    Got it closed again, but wind was creeping inside making it draft a bit around my head..

The rest of the journey went without trouble..

So today I went to the garage after my army buddy from Bergen left after visiting me for nearly a week...

First on todays order was to investigate the window.
    Took of the doorcard to find the channel that sit on top of the lifting mechnismen/grabbing the window, laying in the bottom of the door, rusted to bits.
    So time to find a donor door, luckly my mate has a spare door in the shed.

Next was to replace the faulty 2" voltmeter with a brand new one, and as I suspected the old one was reading 1.5V too low.

Then I turned my attension to the instrument cluster as I had a suspicion that the temp gauge was not working properly.
    Changed that, fitted a replacment electrical print and refitted the cluster, and started the engine.
    The fuel and temp gauge still was showing max on both.
    In my shelf I have a spare instrumet cluster, same that given me the elctrical print and temp gauge.
    I robbed the voltage regulator from that, refitted and voila, fuel gauge was showing correct value and while the engine warmed up the temp gauge showing true temp on engine for the first time during my ownership :banana:

Next up was to take of the fuel pump as it was covered in dirt and oil at the base, so was the engine from the mounting point of pump and downwards..
    And as the rest of the car, the bolt was allmost not bolted down, very loosly anyway, and there is the same story allmost on every part of the car.
    The ones who have been wrenching on this car before must not know how to fasten a bolt, 99% of the bolts are too loose :cursing:

Anyway cleaned up the pump and did the same with engine, fitted the pump with new gasket.
    No leaks and the car seems to start easyer, time will tell :chug:
    Petrol hoses needs to be changed tho. old and the metal cover and inner rubber hose seperate when taking of and on the hoses..

The last thing I did before refit the lower dash was to reconnect the vacuum hose as thas was taken of last time because the was not big enough hole to run both the hose and two wires I was using to hot wire the voltmeter..

Tomorrow I need to fit the window thingy and steam wash the engine and front suspension from dirt and oil..

Sorry no pics, my internet download volume for this month is exceeded :duh:

54. caprimk3

Drives:
    And the saga continues :duh:

The day before the registration I took the car for several small trips to test that all was working as they should..

First I washed the whole engine bay with power wash, from both over and under..
    Unbelivable how much grit there was there. :sleepy: :sleepy:

Ofcourse the bloody house for the upper radiator hose started to leak heavly. :wtf1:
    The temp gauge was nearly at red so I hurried up to the lock up garage..
    Went home for a 1.5 hour to let the engine cool down..

Got back to the garage to find several liters of water under the car as the radiator has gushed itself all over the place.
    The engine was still hot but I manage to slap on some metal epoxy.

Test day for the registration..
    Filled up the radiator and started the engine, and that m....f... water house was still leaking.
    Good thing I arived early in the garage..
    Slapped on some more metal epoxy around the nut under the tube for auto choke hose where the leak was..
    Waiting for 10 min, filled again and drive of, still leaking, but there was no time..

My mate wanted to travel with me to the test so I drove from the garage to his place about 5 miles away..
    Temp gauge was on the hot side and the house still pissed all over the place..
    Time for more metal epoxy...

As time was running out for the booked hour at the test station, we needed to drive NOW!

30 miles up the road the engine was hot and it started to lugg a little, time to pull over.
    Radiator cap was removed, half of the radiator water came out too at the same time, hot engine, deffo...

But as luck would be, the water house was now emty of water so no water was seeping out when placing a good amount of metal epoxy again....
    This looked very promissing as the matal epoxy was drying fast and no crack could be seen any more...
    15min later we was running very late to the apointment at the test station..

But I had to fill some gas and may mate needed some to bite.
    Open the bonnet, and to my suprise, the hose was now dry, and the waterdroops around the engine bay was drying up..

We arrived 1 hour late at the test station, and we had spoken with the test guys a hour before and the said there was 8-10 cars before us so they coulden't promiss that they would be able to take us until late afternoon.
    But there was no cue and we as soon guided into the hall..

Luckly the engine was now bone dry outside as so was the engine bay, very glad it was..

But sadly it failed on minor things..
    4 documents was missing, emissions, steering coulum, noise and brakes.
    These are now ordred via the Norwegian HQ, but they are expensive..

The car itself failed only at two points
    #Must refit a orginal steering wheel
    #Must fit side repeaters..

Chuffed that it was only minnor things it failed on, new apointment the 9th August, just in time for the annual Norwegian Capri meet 17-19 August, hopefully with plates :thumbup1:

The tester went over the car for about a hour, and had no saying of bad parts or rust..
    He too had a Capri back in the day, a MkII 3 litre, so I did know these cars :)

And brakes was good too, right front a bit stronger then left, but still within margin, the rears braked equally :thumbup1:

Half the way home everything went event less, but during a long downhill I put the gearbox in free and coast the half length of the hill, but I had to put it in gear again as the temp went 3/4 hot and stayed like that all the rest of the 30 miles home..
    I suspect the water pump is on it's last legs so I will change that soon, my mate has a spare one I can have..

So next is to replace the water pump, fit side repeaters and start to fit my poly bushes..
    I have also got my hands on a black dashboard, so I will soon change the red upper half, as I don't like it.
    Infact I'm not likeing red much at all... :sleepy:

And if you wonder why I had so much trouble with the upper radiator hose housing, it looked like this after just a few scrubs with a wire brush :sleepy: :sleepy:
    [​IMG]

55. hessu75

hessu75 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Project car: Capri Mk3 2,9EFI turbo, Summer Ride: Kawi ZX14, daily drive Ford Thunderbird -92
    Ouch mate,

Do you have a spare upper housing for the intake?
    I have a donator part here at Finland.
    It is yours, if you need one. I am happily helping out a Capri nutter from Norway, no charge mate.

PM me, if you need it. Thanks.

Keep at it. It is frustrating to fix her, and finding something new all the time, but she will get done eventually. Mine is giving hard time too. I´ll have a MOT next week too...
    Lets see what kind of list is coming for me.

Cheers

-Hessu-

56. caprimk3

Drives:
    You got PM mate :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Yes frustrating during these things, but it will be finished in the end :thumbup1:

I just need the engine to be reable, just ned new water pump as it's little too hot during driving, fitting a solid inlet house and change the carb..

Plan is to replace the 2.3 with a tuned 2.9 12v, but I have not time to do so before the Capri meet in August, and I want to repair the 2.3 for so little money as possible as I only will use it during MOT and Capri meet...

Has any of you a tip for a cheap electric fan that can be placed infront of the radiator??, may take a look in my local scrap yard.
    My upper radiator hose is little to short, so I can fit a tube with a termo swith for the rad, something like this:

http://biltema.no/no/Bil---MC/Bil-tilbehor/Bilelektrisk/Bil-instrumenter/Adapter-for-vanntempgiver-321128/

Will fit a manual switch inside car as well in case of stop in trafic....

57. hessu75

Drives:
    Project car: Capri Mk3 2,9EFI turbo, Summer Ride: Kawi ZX14, daily drive Ford Thunderbird -92
    Have you properly washed your radiator?
    You have the front air deflector?
    I am not sure should you also have that housing around you viscous fan blades, so that the air is only routed to the radiator.

My radiator was full of rusty silt. It came out in gunks from the rad. I bet those inner flanges were clogged up by this rusty crap.
    I just pushed fresh water in with pressure and eventually fresh clean water came out from the other end.

The part which I am sending to you next week has a potentially good place for your temp sensor, if you are planning on electric fan...

Cheers

-Hessu-

58. caprimk3

Drives:
    Yup, both engine, radiator and heater was flushed when I got home from Lithuania..

Most of the gunk was in the heater matrix, but plenty of rust water from the engine, same with radiator..
    Everything was flushed both ways several times for 10 min or so, the radiator was out from the car.
    This was done first time I changed the faulty thermostat.

And yes I have both the cover plate in front of radiator and the fan shroud...

Your upper water housing for the inlet manifoil is perfect for me as I have planned to get a electric fan in the future..

I will change the waterpump at the same time I change the part I get from you Hessu :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

But I think the owners in Lithuania diden't know what anti freeze is, was no evidence of glychol when tapping the rust water from the car...

59. caprimk3

Drives:
    At last some pics :thumbup1:

Ordred a new water pump yesterday, arrived today so I went for some wrenching in the garage :thumbup1:

As you can see the water pump is ready for replacement, rusty and are of the cast iron type
    [​IMG]

Ready to fit the new one
    [​IMG]

New one in.
    But ofcourse there was one bolt that broke during tightning, took the pump of, but even wice grip it woulden't move.
    Hope it not leaking too much, or else I have to take it of next week... :cursing:
    [​IMG]

I have received the inlet water house from Hessu, can't wait to replace this unreliable unit
    [​IMG]

Did some painting to the radiator as well, looked tired before..
    But have to replace later as this has big scars from the fan at the motor side...
    [​IMG]

Looks a bit better, albeith too much colors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    aDon't have time to do anything about that now, have to wait for a while...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But these spacers are not orginal, think they have robbed the radiator from a Cortina or something else..
    [​IMG]

And this is how I left it tonight...
    [​IMG]

So tomorrow my plan is to connect the hoses, replace the inlet water house, fill it up with water and do a short test drive..
    I'm also gonna hunt for a 14" electric fan tomorrow, found a place who sell the ones where you can fit the blades in reverse to be able to mount it in both front and rear setup..

Need electric fan later anyway for my future 250hp engine, safer to be safe than sorry :lol:

60. hessu75

Drives:
    Looks good mate!

Pics of the new upper housing must be seen too.

You are doing the same thing, what I need to do next week.
    I am copying your rad painting too. Mine is not looking the way it should now.

I just hope those pump bolts will come off from my engine...
    I am gonna take them off with air ratchet wrench, so the impact will loosen the rusty bolts.

Hmm,

Do you know the lengths of the bolts, so that I could buy new stainless steel allen head bolts to replace the old ones?

Also, could you check the temp sensor wiring? What colour and possibly where does the wiring go when it reaches the fire wall grommet?

Keep at it, and tell us when you get the MOT done.

Cheers

-Hessu-

61. caprimk3

Drives:
    Thanx mate :thumbup1:

Most of the bolts are 20mm long, but one is 35mm or so, located in the middle of the pump at the right side looking directly at the pump..

Don't know the color for the temp wire, but it should ha a black sleve that reach almost to the end where the bullet connector is.
    Think the wire goes into the loom about under the strut or brake master area, not to sure, will check later today..
    Temp sender is white if you need to know..

The new water house has uncommon thread, 11/16 or 17mm something, so for now I just gonne refit the the vacuum switch.
    Early Granadas used a vacuum switch controlled by a thermo contact in the bottom, don't have a clue what for..

My upper radiator hose is too short, so I will fit a pipe with threads for a common 22mm thermo switch to control my electric fan...
    If you need one of those Hessu, they selling them at Biltema, as I think you got in your country :thumbup1:

I have been everywhere in town at shops that sell bolts or hydraulic pipes and stuff, but non of them have something with 11/16 threads, just thinking I could buy a bolt or a plug with threads to cover the hole, ut no such luck....

62. hessu75

Drives:
    But, you are able to use the top housing OK?

About the temp sensor lead.
    I do recall seeing a loose lead with round female connector as you desribe. I will look into that.

Cheers

-Hessu-

63. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    Hey Guys
    the temp sensor wire is Red/White, goes from sensor, into loom around the coil area, and into the car via the body plugs beside the fuse box, from there direct to the connector on the dashpod,... via the track to the dial ...
    ADB

64. caprimk3

Drives:
    Went to the garage for a few hours today too :thumbup1:

And here are the new water house from Hessu, thanx very much Hessu :thumbup1: :banana:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also mounted up the new electric fan, fitted like a glove :thumbup1: :thumbup1:
    Has the wiring left to do...
    [​IMG]

And fitted a 2.8I steering wheel from a mate so it can pass registration :thumbup1:
    My JDM steering wheel will be fitted as soon as I have plates on my cappa
    [​IMG]

Not all went smooth as ice today tho...
    The hose from water house to the auto choke split during warm up :cursing:
    So can't test it properly before Monday when the shops opens again and I can buy some new hoses..

Think I gonna replace the upper part of the dashboard tomorrow and prep for the new side indicators, new wirings and make holes in the fenders..
    Is the best way to steal the power from the turn signals in the front bumper?

65. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    reeto ..
    in GB the side repeater indicators are placed in the side wing between the front wheel and the door.
    there is an additional section of wiring loom.. where the existing indicators have a connector in the loom under the headlamp bowl beside the radiator at the bumper mounting irons, the GB extension loom has connector plugs to add straight in to the original, then a wiring loop to the lamps in the wing.
    I had a 1986 laser, but the repeaters had been removed due to repairs... to pass the test I fitted new Hella lamps in the bumper end caps
    the wiring is just a parallel interruption to the existing ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    certainly saved drilling the wings again ... I can get you the Hella part number for these no problems in the morning, because I intend to refit these lamps again on Rumbly when I am doing the rebuild this year, I will fit in the same position... but with pukka Mk2 bumpers they will be in the fenders again

66. caprimk3

Drives:
    I had a nose in the engine bay today, but there is not a loom for side indicators, so have to cut the orginal wires..

Todays wrenching report..

The red dashboard had to go, so out it went..
    [​IMG]

And if you non scandinavians have not seen heavy duty fresh air ball vents, here are driver side...
    [​IMG]

Right side
    [​IMG]

Cleaned dashbord and painted fresh air vents, had to use from my car as mine is of the non heavy duty variant
    [​IMG]

And fitted, now this looks a whole lotta much better imo :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And have replaced the headrests, with some unknown ones, Audi maybe???
    [​IMG]

And wonder what this connector is for?
    [​IMG]

Also managed to pull a wire throu the firewall with help from a mate.
    That wire will be my override switch for my electric fan..
    Will buy the rest of the stuff tomorrow to complete the wiring job, pluss change the split hose...

67. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    doing well... ... that dashboard looks a million times better now ...
    next the kickplates (and lose the white in the seats :boxedin: )...

really impressed on how the car is improving all the time since you got it ...

68. caprimk3

Drives:
    Thanx very much :thumbup1:

Yup those kickpanels will be replaced or made as I have planned to mount the front speakers there, won't cut my uncut doorcards..
    If I can choose, I want fishnet Recaro seats as was standard on mainland early mk3's.
    Want all black interior, or at least get rid of the red, white is fine by me, but not much of a fan for red..

So in my head, my blueprint is white car with all black interior, hope it would like that in a couple of years time :thumbup1:

69. caprimk3

Drives:
    Another day in the garage...

Fitted side indicators, wiring took longer than expected...
    [​IMG]

Also wired up the the electric fan...
    Halfway into the job, a bit of a mess :lol:
    [​IMG]

22.45 this evening I went home.
    Just a few interior bits to mount, fit new water hose and some tidning up, then I'm ready for the registration :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

70. hessu75

Drives:
    Very nice Christian.

Keep up the good work mate!
    Soon you can enjoy the open roads.

I busted my back, and I cannot move. So, my Capri stays put and will not get new water pump installed yet.

Mako paper work goes ahead. One finnish Capri dude has a paper version of the TüV document for me. If he finds it from his documents. So, I am trying next wseek to bend the finnish MOT offices hand to get a legal permit to plant a big V8 to my Capri this coming winter.

Keep at it.

Please tell me how you did the electric fan? Just manual, or with temp sensor, so that the fan automatically turns on, while driving?

I am thinking of getting rid of the viscous fan. More power with out it :)

Cheers

-Hessu-

71. caprimk3

Drives:
    Thanks very much Hessu :thumbup1:
    I really appciatere the kind words :thumbup1:

If possible, I'm intrested in a copy of the Mako papers, in English or German, as I'm lusting for a V8 :headbang::

For the electric fan, I just bought this kabel kit 42-686 http://biltema.no/no/Bil---MC/Bil-tilbehor/Belysning/Ekstralys/Monteringssett-for-ekstralys-42686/
    as it hat all the wires I needed incl the rele..

Just used this switch instead as it has led bulb built in so it lit up when in use
    http://biltema.no/no/Bil---MC/Bil-tilbehor/Bilelektrisk/Strombryter/Vippebryter-LED-43063/

For now I have just wired it with a manual switch into the cockpit.
    As I don't want to have a big hole in my dash, I just made a hole in the triangle in the ashtray plate, right above the clock in the center console..

Wired it as per Clockwork drawing in the archive section regarding electric fan..
    Same drawing is printed on the Biltema label.
    Instead of using the 87 terminal for lights, wire goes to the fan...

Black - ground
    Blue - fan
    Red - battery +
    Green - switch

The extra wires needed are

Ground for the fan.
    Battery + for the switch
    Ground for the LED in switch to work..

Will later fit a thermo switch..

72. caprimk3

Drives:
    I guess my kick panels isen't red anymore :childish:
    [​IMG]

Need to look closer at the floor later, but don't look bad at all..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need to sort the clutch pedal, that is sky high!! :stunned:
    Don't know how people do stuff like that
    [​IMG]

And the kick panels was just covered with this, ripped right of with ease :thumbup1:
    Not much glue left, so cleaned up right away..
    [​IMG]

Looks much better now :thumbup1: :thumbup1:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also fitted the cracked hose...
    From there on it was downhill..

After finish of the wiring for the fan, the car won't behave properly...

I started the car to warm it up, to look for any leak.
    After several starts to thest for leaks and test the fan, this happend.

Charging indicator came on after giving it some revs after starting up, and won't go of until the engine was cut of.
    No temp or fuel readings.
    Tacco, reads very low
    Indicators won't flash, but they do when hassard is switched on.

All other lights work.
    Battery have 12.5v and showing 13.5 when engine is running..

And engine is still too hot, reading 3/4 before my instruments and flasher went to town...
    So my radiator is crap...

Any ideas fellas??

73. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    go to the clutch end of the cable and loosen off the locknuts, you have got the cable too tight !!

hm... if your electrics behaved before, then you wired in the fan and now they don't ... How did you wire in the fan
    any new component you wire in can be done on a stand alone basis, no cutting, joining, or messing with the original loom...
    so draw me the wiring diagram you used... and then I may be able to tell you what is wrong.
    did you use one of my drawings from the tech archive, but change the connexions slightly?

lets see what you did ... or... take out your wiring and use the drawings available..

74. caprimk3

Drives:
    Yup will loosen the clutch locknut and bend back the stop pin on the pedal, you can see it is bent in the pic...

Allready then...

I modified your drawing...
    [​IMG]
    THE ABOVE DRAWING AS MODIFIED AND SHOWN IS INCORRECT... not drawn by Clockwork Orange in its form above

I used a a relay kit for fog lights etc, but it should do the same..
    Diden't use to brigde wire the pluss cable on the relay as I used the socket that did came with the kit..
    Maybe the live wire from the clock haven't enough current, I dunno...

75. hessu75

Drives:
    Interior looks good mate :)

Door panels next. Spray glue and new black textile canvas. Easy.

Ouch,

Hopefully you can sort the electir gremlin away.
    Undo the wiring as mr Orange stated, and go from there. This is what I would do.

Cheers

-Hessu-

76. caprimk3

Drives:
    Just came home from a 500km round trip to Gardermoen airport, Oslo, to deliver a car and take home another one..

I manage to visit the garage for 2 min, fitted brand new fuses, now it works properly again :thumbup1:
    Think I just had bad fuses.
    For good measure, I pinched the brass tabs that holds the fuses a bit, to grip the fuses a bit better..

So now I'm ready for my registration :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

77. hessu75

Drives:
    Good to hear, that it was just bad connections.

I am going to change my Capri´s fuse box to newer one, which is found in new cars. Those press in- fuses.

Good luck to MOT mate!

Cheers

-Hessu-

78. caprimk3

Drives:
    Checked the wires over today for the fan.

They was correct wired, but I did change one wire..
    Instead of stealing power from the clock for the override switch, I made one new one from the battery.
    Fan works brilliant, and no fuses went bad today, I like that :thumbup1:

I gonna need it, as I drove home from the test centre yesterday, the engine got hot during city traffic, and temp gauge stayed at 3/4 the rest of the 60 miles home.
    Made no difference with new water pump, and my heater was blowing hot at high speed all the way.
    Temp gauge went down 2mm when 3 gear in 40 miles zones as the engine is reving a bit higer with the fixed fan on motor, but as soon as I drove in 50 mile zones in 4th, it went up a bit..
    So the conclusion is that my radiator is not up to task, even after flushing several times.

I want to fit several things later, like cigarette lighter output in the boot, stereo etc..
    So need a good gommet for the firewall.
    Have any a good tip for that?
    If it looks a bit factory, it is a big pluss..

Fitted back my JDM steering wheel, much better :thumbup1:

Tomorrow there are a stay over Capri party who some friends of me is holding..
    So I will loan some test plates and have a short drive to the party :thumbup1:

79. caprimk3

Drives:
    A few pics from the registration centre

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It passed with flying colors, now just waiting for my plates :thumbup1:

And a few pics from the trip home the same day, took the long way around :thumbup1:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before the Capri party this weekend I canged the steering coupling, a real pita job as I have headers and the focking thingy woulden't come off.
    After 3 hours the illigimate finally let go, the item slipped on with minimal fuss.
    I was knackered afterwards at there was no room to work on and it was damn stubborn!!!!

But we finally arrived at the party, less than a hour drive from home..
    My mate had brake problems, so his car had to stay at home..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My mate at left who had brake problems, the one to the right was the youngest Capri member this weekend :thumbup1:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to have proper reading stuff with me :thumbup1: :thumbup1:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some arty farty pics outside my local Ford dealer in my home town :thumbup1:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

80. hessu75

Drives:
    Cool pics and very nice place, where you kicked back and relaxed.
    Also, in my opinion, your Capri is the nicest looking from the three in the pics.

Have a great week.

-Hessu-

81. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    THE ABOVE ALTERED DRAWING WILL NOT WORK... and was not drawn by Clockwork Orange
    You have removed the power feed to the relay coil, and replaced it with an earth, the switch is designed to provide an earth to the relay coil
    the battery feed at the switch is purely designed to feed the illumination lamp, this will happen ...
    if you operate the switch... or if the temp sender (which you have removed) operates hot, supplying the relay coil and the illumination via the switch.

the correct drawing below ...

[​IMG]

my drawing is designed to ensure there is no live12v passing thru the firewall, and that either the sender or the switch fires the relay
    while there is a telltale lamp illuminating when the fan motor is triggered, whether or not the switch in the dashboard has been operated.
    I use a modified heated rear screen switch, or modified rearguard fog switch to achieve the circuit.

also if ANYONE must alter my drawings and then post in the forum... please remove my name from it !!!

82. caprimk3

Drives:
    Thanx for the reply mate :thumbup1:

I will change the set up as soon I have some spare time..

Still pin 30 and 85 that needs bridging together??

I never use my rear fog lights, so I guess I could modify the switch for it..
    Advice how to wire thst switch?

In the future I shall remember to remove the name of the orginal drawing designer when using a modified one... :thumbup1:

83. caprimk3

Drives:
    Wooohhooooooo, got my plates today :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :thumbup1:

After the plates was fixed to the car I took a good drive, and then my mate came around and helped me wire up the stereo system.
    Great day :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

84. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    sounds like an excellent day... Congrats on the plates
    if you want to use a Capri switch, either Fog or HRW type, cos they have a built in lamp, I'll send you details of how to carry out the very simple mod..
    or I can do a wee drawing to show a separate switch and lamp.
    switches with LEDs in them are a bit more difficult because the LED is a diode, and most switches are designed to operate supplying a 12v positive feed..

85. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    hey Bud
    did you find an electric switch to fit into the top water outlet yet ... have you checked the thread size ?
    if its 22mm, thats usually standard, then have a look at
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RADIATOR-FAN-SWITCH-NEW-ON-92-DEG-OFF-87-DEG-KIT-CAR-RACE-CAR-ETC-/230827941054?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35be6adcbe
    [​IMG]
    using my diagram ... fit one wire direct to earth, the other wire to relay (blue wire) and on to your manual switch
    using the 'blue' route

switches on at 92degrees / switches off at 87 degrees... should be good for you

86. caprimk3

Drives:
    Hi mate!

Yes have checked to threads on the top water outlet house, it have 11/16 threads, or 17 something mm, uncommon size for sure...
    Want either to rethread the top outlet, or fit fitting kit like this http://www.burtonpower.com/parts-by-category/cooling-system/electric-fan-controllers/pacet-top-hose-adaptor-for-oe-style-fan-switch-32mm-id-bore-pacetca2232.html to the top hose, my is too short anyway,,

After a 500km trip, me and my mate have arrived at Gol this evening, were the annual Capri meet is held from tomorrow to Sunday.
    They have forecasted heavy rain the show day, but I hope as many as possible will turn up in their cappas :thumbup1:

A pre-wiew pic from the trip :headbang::
    [​IMG]

Cooling is deffo needed doing someting with.
    When climbing steep hills the temp would go up and the power at the engine was held back, like the carb don't give enough fuel..
    The temp gauge will go back to normal temp after 5-10 min drive on flat surface..

87. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    I reckon with you having a 'Euro' model it will be a 17mm thread then... in normal use, what is normally fitted in that screw hole on the housing ...
    and also, if the thread is 17, you may be able to get a reducer to enable a 14mm switch to fit ...

Fan Switch - switches on at 87C/switches off at 82C - 12GBP (+VaT if applicable = 14.40GBP)
    M14 x 1.5
    [​IMG]
    http://www.cbsonline...M14_x_1.5_FANSW

OR ... is there enough material there to redrill, and thread it to 22x1.5mm ... and then you could use...
    Fan Switch - switches on at 88C / switches off at79C - same price...
    ... M22 x 1.5
    [​IMG]

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/Fan_Switch_88C%7C79C_M22_x_1.5_FANSW6

if your temp is climbing under load, and you feel you are losing power, could be the fuel mixture is to lean... lean mix wil burn too hot..
    clue here is that on level ground the temp drops back down, kinda proving the cooling system is doing a not too bad job...
    with that fancy carb on there, maybe you will have to resort to a sessio on a rolling road .. or do a colourtune test if you can get a kit over there .. basically, its a glass spark plug so you can actually see the burn inside the cylinder while the engine is running.. theres a colour chart so you can see the colour of burn you should have ... maybe the main jets have to be increased slightly for better mix with more throttle?
    ADB

88. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    how about ...
    http://www.cbsonline...ing_32mm_MOIN32
    [​IMG]

Aluminium Modular Inline Housing 32mm - M22 thread 13GBP (inc VaT if applicable = 15.60GBP)

89. hessu75

Drives:
    Nice pic mate!

Have you already installed the electric fan?
    Want to hear your first use experiences from it.

Mr Orange sir,

Is it possible to wire the fan so, that it is "more automatic". No manual switch at all? Behind ignition switch?

I am considering removing the viscous fan, because I would also install a bigger sized rad at the same time. So, the electric fan would be the main cooler in use.

Cheers

-Hessu-

90. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    Hi Hessu, my circuit is for automatic operation, the switch in the dashboard is a manual override ...
    there are 3 versions ... will PM details
    but would not put behind the ignition switch, after any run, it is when you switch the motor off that the temperature increases most, so it is designed that the fan can cut in any time to assist cooling at this time ...
    ADB

91. hessu75

Drives:
    Aah, I understand.

Will look forward to your PM. Thanks.

-Hessu-

92. caprimk3

Drives:
    Thanx for the replies guys :thumbup1:

ADB:

The orginal item that is bolted to the top water neck is a vacuum port used on older Granadas, the house is stamped with the number 73, si I guess the will be the year of production, switch has 76 marked on it, think that it's either the opning temp (probl something to do with the auto chocke, or whatelse needs vacuum controlled by heat, they are called vacuum ports-generally used on US cars), or the year of the vaccum valve..

My carb needs changing out, simply because it's worn out, f.ecs I have no acsleration pump so it's a bit sluggish to build up speed.
    And I don't want to spend to much money on it as I have planned for another engine my mate have in his shed, a 2.9 12v with about 250hp :thumbup1:

Hessu, I diden't use the fan yesterday as it has a habbit of raising the temp for a few min before the temp on the engine goes down..

Have tripple checked the fan and the blade is mounted the correct way, but the fan has to be wired in reverse to be able to go the correct way, the bade has stamps on it for the correct rotasion on both sides, as it is intended to be mounted both in front and back on the radiator..

93. caprimk3

Drives:
    Then I'm home again after 950km trip..

So now I have a story to tell :thumbup1: :lol:

After allmost living in the garage the last 14 days, the last evening before the departre day was very late indeed, we finished up 1.30 in the morning.
    We wired up the stereo system and did a quick steering angliment, using 2x4 wood plank to eye sight it along the car sides..
    It turned out later this was a very wice move as the anglement was out by inch or so...

The day for the travel, I was up early, by 8 in the morning I was in the garage again.
    I had to change the front ARB bush to chassis and the ARB bush to axle as the car leaned to much in cornes for my comfort.
    Luckly both front and rear bushes was very easy to change, took less than a hour..
    Then there was clean up garage, and stuff the gear I had to take with me into the car.

The clock was beginning to be later than we wanted.
    Orginal plan was to drive of 9-10 in the mrning, but that soon changed..

Before I headed home for a shower and to pack my bag, I took a drive to fill gas, and bugger, one of the sides of the rear speakers quit working...
    And my mate had to have music for the trip, I can happly drive 1000 miles just listen to the engine

After the shower I rushed to the wood place for some woodplates, and another place for some spray glue..

6 miles later I arrived at my mates old folks place where he was ready with tools.
    We removed my parcel shelf and cut a new one to house some used 6x9 speakers..
    Half hour later we was finished.

Now we was really late as the clock was 15.30 and we had 8 hours drive in front of us..

Finally all the stuff was in the car and we drove of!

Nothing much happend the first couple of hours, just some roadwork after 30 min drive or so..

Here about 1.5 hour into the drive.
    [​IMG]

A little late, the first of 3 hairpins of the day..
    [​IMG]

Bridge at the bottom of the hairpins
    [​IMG]

After about 3 hours drive we had some food, I choose hamburger and fries :chug:
    40min later we continued the road trip..

Climbing up the first montain
    [​IMG]

From there on it was raining 90% of the rest of the journey.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second hairpins of the day..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going down to the sea level..
    [​IMG]

Fantastic place about the 2/3 of the journey
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

94. caprimk3

Drives:
    Here we are close to a place called Odda, one of my fave places, my mom did came from here...
    [​IMG]

Beginning to be late and darkning, about 9 ish..
    [​IMG]

This bridge is pimple on a pretty western Norway, ready sometime next year :duh:
    [​IMG]

The rest of the journey was too dark to take pics, and it was raining hard for some time..
    We arrived at the camp site 23.50 in pitch black, the camp folks had placed our key and bed sheets on the steeps as they closed 23 o'clock.

Next day I took the car into the local car wash, purple soap anyone? :lol:
    [​IMG]

My car parked outside our cabin for the weekend
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Capri meet was awesome, pics can be found in the event section :thumbup1:

95. caprimk3

Drives:
    For the journey home I wanted to drive Gol-Oslo-Arendal since I'm a bit into older vw's, and there was a VW show in Oslo..

Before I left the camp site, my friends warned me that a bit down the road there was a police control.
    And indeed they was there.
    Police officer was very friendly.
    He just took a quick breath test and had a little chat with me about my Capri, production year, asked if I had attended the Capri meet etc..
    After a couple of min I was waved of :thumbup1:

Just down the road from the police control.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close to Oslo I saw that more and more VW's was going in the other direction, so I diden't bother to see the show as I was thinking the show was over..

But I did overpass 3 cool rides :thumbup1:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After passing Drammen, I had a stop for a bite, hamburger this time too :lol: :chug:

Did a 30 min drive and visited a good friend of mine.
    Stopped for about a hour, and my mate got a ride in my cappa, he had never been in one before :rock:

Had 2.5 hour drive left..

Here are I'm about 40 min from home
    [​IMG]

A bit further down the road
    [​IMG]

My cappa did great!
    Just got a bit hot in the steep hills, and at one point there was water entering the cockpit.
    It was the the atenna wire, water followed the atenna base and into the glove box area..
    Did a quick fix, just pulled out some more atenna wire and zip tied it, so there was a point lower than the hole in the doorjam.

So there you have it :thumbup1:
    950km and about a litre pr 10km :banana:

96. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Nice scenery!

97. Arunas

Drives:
    Great story :)

98. caprimk3

Drives:

Photos from the Capri meet can be seen here:

http://www.capripower.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/24952-annual-norwegian-capri-meet-2012-gol-norway/

For the ones who are intrested, here hare my travel route:

http://kart.gulesider.no/m/9w3NM

And return:

http://kart.gulesider.no/m/9w3AO

99. caprimk3

Drives:
    As I was calculate the distances on the maps, I droven even longer than I first thought, nearly 1100km :thumbup1:

Next up is wire the cooling fan properly, fit poly bushes in leaf springs and TCA's, fit my secondhand radiator, regrease the front wheel bearings and paint the front spoiler..

Next longish drive with my Capri is Sunday 2nd September, Ford trackday at Rudskogen racetrack.
    Just 500km drive total next time :lol:

100. caprimk3

Drives:
    Too bad me and my mate did not see much of this in the dark and heavy rain :duh:

This is Måbødalen
    [​IMG]