Oil Leaks!

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by Rsam280, 6 August 2016.

1. Rsam280

Rsam280 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Brooklands 280
    Well ive had my 2.8 out and cleaned up and painted in grey and now we can not stop it from leaking oil! Its had new cork gaskets on rocker cover and sump but it just wont stop.

Has anyone got any hints, tips or recomendations for gaskets?

Its leaking from passenger back rear on the rocker cover and then passenger front side on the sump in the corner and we have just found it seaping from where oil cooler meets the filter housing thing and from the frigging head gasket!

At my whits end now as meant to be going Ford Fair tomorow but just cant risk it!

Oh and whilst im here is there meant to be a metal plate between engine and gearbox that hides the fly wheel?

Cheers as usual!

2. twin turbo

twin turbo Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    cosworths, capries, xr4i
    What Oil is on IT? Rubber gasket is normaly better. Is IT allot of blow trough if you tåke off oilfiller cap?

3. PaulG

PaulG Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 3.0S, 2.0S and 1.6 laser, Fiesta MK2 1.1,Octavia VRS,
    Are you sure you haven't pinched or mis aligned the gaskets when fitting and tightening up. Also did you use good quality gaskets or ebay specials and were they the same as what came off.

When you take it apart again try putting a thin smear of hylomar on the gaskets - if nothing else it will hold them in place while you tighten them up. Don't overtighten either.

As for the engine rear plate I'm sure there should be one; I bet even Ford wouldn't design it for the flywheel and clutch to be open to the elements.

4. twin turbo

Drives:
    cosworths, capries, xr4i
    Its s plate inbeetween yes.

5. Rsam280

Rsam280 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Brooklands 280
    We had a rubber gasket fitted to the sump, we took it off when we couldnt stop it leaking and found a nick in it so replaced it with a brand new cork gasket. Not sure on the brand as my friend picked it up, any recomendations for gasket kits?

We made sure we aligned it when fitting it, wasnt over hanging anywhere. Followed the tightening instructions per Haynes.

Looks like my engine plate is missing then!

6. CapriGear

CapriGear Capri Gear Trader

Drives:
    Ford Focus, BMW 540i
    If you had a rubber gasket then you have to replace with rubber as the sumps are different for cork gaskets. You can't use a cork gasket on a sump that's previously had a rubber gasket.
    I'm pretty sure that I have some of the plates.I can confirm on Monday

7. Stroker

Stroker Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Sierra Ghia Estate 4x4
    Definitely a sandwich plate that goes inbetween the motor and the gearbox.
    I haven't had any problems using the cork tappet cover gaskets, in fact I've reused my ones till they finally tear or snap. No leaks with aluminium tappet covers.
    As for the sump my car is a 4x4 Sierra so just use a smear of silicone, no gasket as such. And no leaks.
    I fricken hate leaks and have always used plenty of silicone on the cork sump gaskets I used to use on my Essex V6.

8. Lord Flasheart

Lord Flasheart Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Panzer, Jeep, CBR600, 3.0 Ghia
    On my mk3 3.0 rebuild, we fitted cork gaskets & found that we had to use weld seal as well, so far this has stopped anything leaking, cork on its own wasn't up to the job. Just double check that your leaks aren't coming from the bolts as opposed to the gasket, on the gearbox we had a couple of wet bolts when removed so used some bolt seal, cant remember what it was, same on the axle case, was leaking from 2 bolts, not the actual gasket.

Good luck

9. twin turbo

Drives:
    cosworths, capries, xr4i
    Dont use to much silicon, it will fill the sump, oilpump and oilchannel with IT, can end bad... But a thin later would help.

10. kez60

kez60 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    84 Injection Special (what else?)
    The other thing that will cause oil leaks on the 2.8 is a dodgy valley gasket on the inlet manifold.
    Mine was leaking down the back of the engine and onto the clutch. First I thought it was the tappet cover gasket.
    Replaced it and no more oil leaks...
    Agree with the hylomar on the gaskets.
    Cheers,
    Kerry

11. rossored86

rossored86 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    new focus RS is amazing
    Definitely and clear as Martin helped me when i had my sump off --some later 2.8 sumps are from the 2.9 engine and use a specific thick rubber job with dimples .....in truth the cork and rubber are so different in thickness that if you had the cork instead of the rubber the sump would have just drained over the floor.

http://www.burtonpower.com/sump-gasket-rubber-type-ford-2-8-2-9-09-85-taunus-cologne-tv1470a.html

cp

12. Stroker

Stroker Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Sierra Ghia Estate 4x4
    Something else to watch out for is the rubber arches that go over the rear main bearing cap and front timing cover.
    There is a few different types, I know I had to make sure too get the right one for the Sierra as they run no sump gasket and are different to the ones that run a sump gasket.
    Can't remember now how to tell the difference. But with aftermarket gasket sets they tend to just have a generic type to fit a wide range of models.

Also found a picture of the sandwich plate
    Sandwich Plate

13. CapriGear

CapriGear Capri Gear Trader

Drives:
    Ford Focus, BMW 540i
    That's what I have only mine is cheaper.