Oldest Mk1's Left

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by oilyT, 20 December 2017.

1. oilyT

oilyT Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.8i
    Hi, Have been asked by a relative to find out if their mk1 is one of the few 1st ones made left. as we were told a couple of weeks ago that being made Feb 20th 69 possibly it maybe the 3rd oldest . is there any way of finding out ?. :)

2. twin turbo

twin turbo Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    cosworths, capries, xr4i
    Early yes, since production started mid desember 68..

3. CapriMk1man

CapriMk1man Registered Capri Power Member

Hi OilyT
    Why not join our Club (Capri Mk1 Owners' Club) and find out all about how many are left, what age, models, colours etc.
    I'm actually preparing an article for our next magazine (February 2018) with all this information having gathered info on over 1300 Mk1s still left in the UK today.
    The oldest one left is a December 1968 built car in Glasgow Motor Museum. We know of 7 left that were built in December 1968 and a total of 36 built in December 1968, January 1969 and February 1969.
    If you let me know the registration and chassis number of your car I can check whether we know about it and if not, add it to the list.
    If you do want to join then an application form is on our website at www.caprimk1ownersclub.com
    Incidentally, the information provided by the how many are left website is completely wrong. I don't know how they gather their data but it bears no relation to reality whatsoever!

4. oilyT

Drives:
    2.8i
    That's great info thank you , I will pass it on. the reg no is RDD 561G I'll pm you the chassis no . the cars been hidden away for possibly over 25yrs and forgotten .
    I also wouldn't trust how many's left , never found it to be accurate in the past .:)

5. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Electrical ??? what like .. bzztt Feck !!! Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    check out Capri Schweiz - Swiss Capri Club..
    They have a competition on the go - check out - http://www.ford-capri.ch/start-d/wettbewerbsteilnehmer.html
    the are looking for the oldest, and newest of each variant ..

there's already a Dec68 car in there, might be worthwhile sending your details in tho, be nice to get on the list ..

6. oilyT

Drives:
    2.8i
    Cheers that looks great :)/> . Haven't had chance to do much recently but did get time over the weekend to dig the old girl out from its hiding place.
    [​IMG].
    the hole in the bonnet is where its rusted through from when it had a carb fire many yrs ago and the reason it was parked up at the time

7. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Electrical ??? what like .. bzztt Feck !!! Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    I meant to say - check the VinTag / chassis number - youre looking for the '3rd pair' of letters - ie BBEC xx 12345
    that is the factory build date code ..

8. oilyT

Drives:
    2.8i
    BBECJU , :)

9. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    factory build date JU = February 1969

printer friendly list - View attachment 14441

10. MarkW

MarkW Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 3.0S Janspeed Turbo, Green '81', Ford Mondeo Graphite 'Daily'.
    According to a book on Car Design I have it says the first production car was built in November 1968.

11. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    yup - date code HS - November 1968 .. see my attachment above !