Powerspark

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by malcolmrs2000, 26 July 2020.

1. malcolmrs2000

malcolmrs2000 Malcolm RS Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Fords
    Anyone bought the complete setup (dizzy/coil/leads) on eBay for about £130?? I have tried everything to try and sort my Capri so by buying this setup it eliminates lots of parts, although most of the ignition parts are new except the dizzy in my car!!

2. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    as per previous..
    you need to keep the ballast for starting purposes..
    the powerspark is not an electronic system.. it is a points replacement.. effect on the coil is just as per a set of points..
    so dizzy has 2 wires, one is 12v live ignition, 1 is CB breaker wire to coil negative ( and revcounter)
    set up properly no further timing issues. But thats it !

No increase in coil capacity or charge handling, no change to how the spark is developed..
    the cars own electrics need to be stable before fitting this kit..
    so coil live feed needs to be proved & good.. and an additional stable ignition 2 circuit is also required..
    getting shot of the ballast is not a solution .. the whole wiring situation needs looked at..

an electronic system? - look at Lumenition, Piranha, MSD.. and all that that ensues

3. malcolmrs2000

Drives:
    Fords
    Alan...remember I took the ballast resistor out of the car as I thought it was leading to the cutting out problem so now have a non ballast coil

4. malcolmrs2000

Drives:
    Fords
    Alan...re-instated the ceramic resistor and ballast coil you gave me (which I still owe you for!!!!!). So the setup now is as above with Accuspark point replacement with black wire going to -ve side of coil and red going to a permanent live.

no joy....can’t see if there is a spark from coil lead but when I take off the +ve black/yellow wire at the coil and check on voltmeter I am getting 12.7v or thereabouts!!...

I did think with BR back in place I should be getting 9.7v or so now??....pm me your address and I can give you a 3.0 xpack to play with,,,!!!!....absolutely loosing the place with old cars!!

5. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    aargh, so sorry to see this happening..
    theres gonna have to be something simple/stupid going on that this Capri is throwing up..

I am heading away to the caravan for a couple of weeks on Friday...
    following that, I will try to get down to your garage for a proper look .. maybe incorporate with a visit to Mums ..
    I think theres definately something missing..
    you showed me all the conversion stuff previously, we have been over the changes required,,, and the bastid just aint playing ..
    put the kettle on..

6. malcolmrs2000

Drives:
    Fords
    Kettle on standby :)

7. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    little lady will be primed ready..
    she good