Radiator & Expansion Caps

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by Dazzler666, 10 April 2012.

1. Dazzler666

Dazzler666 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk.3 2.8i Capri (A-reg)
    One for you knowledgable Capri owners out there .... On a Mk.3 2.8 is it the Radiator or Expansion tank cap which is spring loaded? I believe that one is and one isn't hence.
    She is leaking coolant but I have 2 mechanics telling me the opposite hence figure someone in here will no doubt know the definitive answer.
    Cheers all

2. CapriJake

CapriJake Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capris!
    The one with the spring should go on the Expansion tank.
    The regular 'flat' type on the radiator.

Jake

3. Dazzler666

Drives:
    Mk.3 2.8i Capri (A-reg)
    Cheers for that Hake. Although now they on the right way, let her warm up with exp tank off to allow thermostat to open, put exp cap on and steam & water puss out if the rad cap!!! Aaaarrghhh . Does this mean I need a new rad cap though it was new last year or something more sinister?!
    Car doing my box in as if not one thing is something else!!!

4. Dazzler666

Drives:
    Mk.3 2.8i Capri (A-reg)
    Put caps on right way round. Let her warm up with exp cap off to allow thermostat to open. Put exp cap back on water & steam wee out of rad cap!! Aaarggghhh .
    Does this mean need a new rad cap tho only got new one last year or something more sinister?!
    Bloody car doing my head in as if not one thing is something else!!!!
    Any help/advice very welcome as bloody sledge hammer beginning to look tempting!!!

5. butcher boy

butcher boy Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1981 2.1 twin carbed pinto ( the beast )
    the 2.8i is a pressurised system and it builds up quite fast, flat top def on the radiator and spring on expansion tank, only problem i had with my 2.8 is i fitted a new radiator and the rad cap still let water out might be the rad top
    isnt quite flat get car to temp and see where the water is bubbling out gently tap with hammer round the lip to try and flatten out even try tightening up the lugs on the new rad cap with pair of pliers to get a tighter seal, another thought
    small hose from rad to expansion tank is that clear where the hose fits into the exp tank there should be a copper insert in the pipe which it needs hope this helps, i still have feking nightmares about my 2.8i cooling [​IMG]

6. j4r4lly

j4r4lly Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1983 Capri 2.8i, 6X previous Capri's, Ford Kuga & Fiesta
    As above - spring cap on expansion tank, flat cap on radiator. In general, once the system is full you should never have the need to remove the radiator cap and all topping up and inspection of levels should be done with the expansion tank. Ford actually say not to remove the rad' cap unless draining the whole system.

Also, if the flat cap is a cheap flimsy replica, they never fit correctly. One way to cure this is to very gently bend the lugs/tabs under the cap with a pair of pliers (not on the rad' top itself) so that when you twist it on it pulls it down really tight.

I had exactly the same thing on mine. All excited, fitted the new caps, took off up the A12 and all was well. Came off at the next exit and as soon as I slowed down there was steam billowing out around the bonnet edges. Checked the caps and they looked fine - until I revved the engine and the water immediately escaped from under the cap on top of the rad'. Bent the tabs a little and no more problem.

I've now got hold of a genuine Ford flat rad' cap and you can see it's much more robust and fits perfectly. No more problems and car runs lovely and cool under all conditions.

7. butcher boy

butcher boy Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1981 2.1 twin carbed pinto ( the beast )
    Another fix to make sure the rad cap is a tight fit is to fit a slightly thicker rubber seal underneath the cap a bugger to get on but once its on as above leave it be and use the exp tank for top ups, its all to easy to open the rad up and peer in but best to leave well alone [​IMG]

8. Dazzler666

Drives:
    Mk.3 2.8i Capri (A-reg)
    Cheers for the advice all. Have tried tightening the lugs but it didn't work. Have ordered a new rad cap from CCI so hopefully that will arrive in next day or two. Will check the rad to exp tank overflow pipe as suggested so fingers crossed!! Will keep you all posted with, fingers crossed .... Good news!! Lol.
    Thanks again.

9. j4r4lly

Drives:
    Get one of these - not cheap but it's the real thing.

The CCI one is the one I had that was ok but a bit flimsy and needed bending.

With the 2.8i it's best not to take a chance with the cooling.........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-2-8i-New-G-Ford-radiator-cap-/390407055941?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ae612ea45

10. Dazzler666

Drives:
    Mk.3 2.8i Capri (A-reg)
    Yes I seen this on flea bay but didn't know if it was original as been sold duff items before under the pretence of them being original!! However, if you say it's the real thing then I will order it as I'm desperate to sort it so I can finally get her out & about!!!

11. j4r4lly

Drives:
    Retro Ford is where I got mine and I can only tell you that the one I was sent is genuine and you will see immediately how much more robust it is and how nicely it fits onto the radiator compared to the copy ones I have seen, which are usually little more than a bit of stamped tin, bent at the edges and with a skinny bit of rubber. They do the job if you can't find the real thing but it's much better to have genuine if you can get it.

Key to the 2.8i is the correct 82 degree thermostat, all year round coolant (it has antifreeze and rust inhibitor in it), clean radiator (they sludge up from the bottom after a while) correct caps on exp' tank and rad' and viscous fan working correctly.

One of the first things I did when I got my 2.8i was flush the cooling system out, replace the cracked and sludged up hoses, change the coolant caps, fill with good quality antifreeze and replace the fanbelts. Car has never run hot, even in traffic or when driven enthusiastically.....

P.S. Sledgehammer will block the hole for a short while but it's hard to get the bonnet shut and it plays havoc with the aerodynamics!!!

Hope it sorts your problems.

12. Dazzler666

Drives:
    Mk.3 2.8i Capri (A-reg)
    Well I've ordered both caps so hopefully one if them will sort problem out!!! No probs with her overheating on the rare occasion she been out but had are well upto temp. Will try the new caps then go from there me thinks.
    Oh, if I get the sledgehammer out there won't be a bonnet to close & aerodynamics a thing of the past!!! Lol. Will av plenty if spares though!!! Hopefully won't come to that, just one of those mega pissed off days!!!
    Thanks again for the advice & tip all, much appreciated .

13. j4r4lly

Drives:
    Any update - got the caps, problem solved etc??

14. Dazzler666

Drives:
    Mk.3 2.8i Capri (A-reg)
    Yep got me caps, fitted it and ...... It's now leaking from the overflow pipe on the rad as it has two small holes in it!!! aarrgghhh. Hit the rad out and going to take it to local garage who will hopefully solder/repair it.
    Like I said, if not one thing is something else!!!
    On a positive note, fitted my silicone HT leads and she seems to be starting & running better/smoother!!

15. j4r4lly

Drives:
    Well hopefully once the rad is back in you will be sorted. Unfortunately the water will always find the next weakest place so be prepared for some other leaks.

You could save yourself a bit of bother and take the car to a garage and get them to pressure test the cooling system. Simple proceedure and it will show you if there are weak spots withour the chance of finding out on the middle of your local dual carigeway at 2.00am!!!

Check your rotor arm, distributor cap and plugs too or your nice expensive HT leads may be wasted and not benefitting you to their full potential.

JB

16. Dazzler666

Drives:
    Mk.3 2.8i Capri (A-reg)
    Thanks for that. Once I get the rad sorted & back in think pressure testing the cooling system may well be a very good option.
    Good shout about the dizzy cap, etc. I shall add these to my wants list as probly would be worth changing them over. Although I then get that feeling of ..... If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!! .
    Hope everything good for all if you?!

17. Dazzler666

Drives:
    Mk.3 2.8i Capri (A-reg)
    Well, hit the rad fixed and new cap. All back in and no leaks! . Although one question, I know it's a pressurised system but is it normal that the top hose is pretty solid when I try to squeeze it? I've ran the car at fast idle with the cap off and on the expansion tank, tho I noticed that if I press the throttle hard im still getting a slight drip off either the rad cap or overfliw pipe on the rad as if the pressure is too great. Although I had her running at fast idle for around 20 minutes the cap hasn't blown off or the car blown up which is good news!!!
    It is quite possible that I'm just being a worry wart but I just don't want to take any chances!!!
    Thanks in advance for any advice .

18. pez

pez Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    nimbus grey "two eight"
    think youre worrying about nothing mate,storm in a tea cup.

if your not loosing vast amounts of coolant,and it doesnt boil over,temp gauge stays in betwwen the lines on the gauge,then theres nothing wrong with it.

19. Dazzler666

Drives:
    Mk.3 2.8i Capri (A-reg)
    Well, got her out for a brief run. The temp gauge doesn't move out of the blue ..... Good, however when giving her a but of hip I'm getting coolant splatter out of the radiator cap still despite it being new and the original ford type cap and a new neck out on the rad .
    I appreciate it's not a major issue (yet!) but she still shouldn't be doing it.
    Any suggestions people? Or do I just shut up and live with it?! .

20. j4r4lly

Drives:
    Are you sure it's coming from the cap? The top hose and the thin hose to the expansion tank are close to this so make sure the clips are nice and snug.

If all else is well and it's running cool that's good but it still should not be escaping from underneath the top of the rad/cap.

21. Liverpool-Lad

Liverpool-Lad Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    208bhp 2.8i Turbo
    The guage doesnt sound right as the temp when warm should reach around 4 o clock on the guage.