Smiley Or Angel Eyes?

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by Foxc, 18 May 2015.

1. Foxc

Foxc Registered Capri Power Member

As always I am sat around finding things to spend money on, money I dont't have!

Anyway eventually I want to swap out the headlight for BMW E30 (are the E32 + E34 exactly the same too, I think I read before?) ones like many people have on here. I was just wondering what people thought about which type. Ebay is full of pretty cheap 'Smiley' ones but the newer angel eye ones are a bit harder to get for a nice price. So I was just wondering from people who have done both or either what you guys recommend? I am happy to spend the extra money eventually if it is worth it after all.

OR

As I have just seen a similar topic bellow (sorry for clogging up the forum)! Do I just use a Halogen upgrade kit?
    (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-Mk3-5-3-4-Sealed-Beam-Halogen-Quad-Headlight-Conversion-Kit-/360612222931?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item53f629d7d3)

Really just looking for the best option money wise! The Halogen upgrade isn't much cheaper than E30 Smiley? So...

I even added a poll, just because I have never made one :boxedin:/>/>/>

Thanks

2. Kris

Kris Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    Mk3 2.9S Cosworth 24V
    I've done the smiley one, and it's a great improvement over the standard ones.

I think mellow yellow on here has done both... I'm waiting on him to reply, probably busy with some sheep or something... lolol

3. jebspencer1980

jebspencer1980 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    I too can't stop meddling with my car and have the H4 upgrade but I really want to do the angel eyes upgrade in the future. My main concern is whether the lights will fit in the headlight bowls of the mk1 because they do look quite big!

4. wildwest-capri

wildwest-capri Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK3 Laser used by the BBC. aka Mellow Yellow
    Yes Kris the sheep are all rounded up for the night :boxedin:

I indeed have done both types and found them the equally good for light output.
    The angel eyes just looks that much better thought.

But I am doing a different light conversion soon,but that's another story :childish:

5. Foxc

Foxc Registered Capri Power Member

Thanks for the comments guys! Still undecided but good food for thought. Mellow does that mean you will have an angel eye set up you want rid of soon then... :rolleyes:

Cheers guys

6. Kris

Kris Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    Mk3 2.9S Cosworth 24V
    I've already got dibs on that spare set ;)

7. westycapri

westycapri Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.0S
    Definitely angel eyes. Not sure whether they are split out into dipped and main beam and if even possible but angel outers with air intake inners would be a cool look

Cheers

Josh

8. wildwest-capri

Drives:
    In your dreams mate hahaha

9. wildwest-capri

Drives:
    I'm afraid not sorry mate. Took me ages to find mine at the price i paid for them.

I will keep an eye out for you though,but don't tell Kris :rolleyes:

10. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    Mellows conversions look ACE ... theres other guys done the same and it does look nice ...
    Beats da cr4p outta fechin 'Chrystals' any way you look ... If you are not converting to proper H4 units to clear the inherent headlamp probs the Capri has got ... this is the way to go.

If Ian has got an even better legal adaptation in the mix now... that will be a neat improvement ..

as long as its legal (not HID 'cos they aint) its good ...

11. BigJ

BigJ Registered Capri Power Member

My quad arrangement uses the Crystals and on Dans 2.0s we've noticed that one of them keeps filling with water although for the life of us we can't see from where :angry:

The mods to the lugs are five minutes with a small file so not a big issue. Plastic means no rust too which is a benefit.

12. wildwest-capri

Drives:
    If Ian has got an even better legal adaptation in the mix now... that will be a neat improvement ..

as long as its legal (not HID 'cos they aint) its good ...
    [/quote]

Yes Alan it's all legal. Been meaning to do this new conversion for many year and now I got 99% of the parts and just a little bit of modifying left to do mate.
    That's all I'm legally to say at the moment :rolleyes:/>