STOLEN - B54 Odx between mid august-11 September

Discussion in 'Members Capris' started by mgentry90, 27 August 2014.

1. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MX5 daily, Mk3 Capri (project yet again)
    My boss used to work for pirtek and says there hoses are amazing but fairly pricey if that's any help :)

2. mgentry90

mgentry90 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Spoke to our pirtek branch who says he won’t make them infouse
    But will quote from an outsource, ive also seen Obp make them for £30 each ish.. seems a good option.

New Fuel tank fitted courtesy of nick selling his to me. Just need new fuel sender now.

[​IMG]

3. clicon357

clicon357 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK2 1976 2.0L GL (rotten), Mk3 1983 2.0L "S" (basically just the shell), MK3 1.6L Cabaret (nearest to being back on the road) - all in bits! Focus 2.0 Ghia Zetec estate awaiting sills. 2.0S Mondeo Duratec estate for the daily.
    I've often used Pirtek over the years. Erith, Kings Cross the other week. Always great service and everything fits. The lads on the van that come out are good too. As for price it's usually to get us out of a hole or a special so money's secondary. The branches I think are franchised so generally if the manager isn't any good he doesn't last.

4. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
    coming along nicely, look forward to updates[​IMG]

5. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    A sight I haven’t seen in a while...

[​IMG]

Posting this one because that can only mean one thing. I’ve grown a pair and welded on/repaired my modification to the seat mounts when trying to fit corsa vxr recaros which failed. I was scared to do this myself as I thought I would have issues welding the thinner metalwork but actually it wasn’t too bad!

[​IMG]

Fitted a coolant reservoir that I acquired for free. Took a long time to modify the original mount bracket for this so it sits in the correct angle etc using holes already in the bodywork as to not drill anymore.

[​IMG]

Then did some spray paint jobs to the front grill and fitted a badge I bought from mellow around 5 years ago ( and it still sticks to the grill)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And lastly the rear bumper I sprayed with rattle can but it isn’t even and has some dull spots so will have it done by a pro.

[​IMG]

6. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Update:

Bought dodo mat off eBay for £50ish to help keep those rattles as dead as a dodo! Fitted that to floor pans - didn’t go too mad with it though. Then went ahead and started to refit the interior which is mostly done now. Then thought I’d share what happened with the speedhut gauges.

To get them to fit I had to first modify the dash fascia, I used a flap disc to grind off the rings that stick out of the front of the fascia around the original clock faces, and I also had to make the rear of the fascia as flat as I could as the securing rings need to go tight against it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found the gauges from speed hut to be slightly smaller diameter than the holes already in the fascia, I planned on buying carbon fibre sheet and making it like a front panel for the fascia with correct size holes in it for the gauges - at £160 for the sheet I opted to try something else first. So I got some sheet metal and went about making some shims to take up the space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With it in the car:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then went and fitted the boost gauge where I wanted it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that’s it so far, need to wire them up still, getting a fuel sender from caprigear that’s in the post so will need to fit that. I also need to decide how to finish the dash fascia, either spray with black textured paint or just satin black it or something, needs a good tidy up though.

7. stu_d909

stu_d909 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1987 mk3 laser, 2008 mk2.5 focus st-3
    nice one with the extra gauge i'd thought about adding one in that area does it clear the metal frame work at the back? no need to remove metal??

8. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    If I’m honest stu all I did once I’d finished for the day was throw it on the dash area and take a photo, I’ll check later and let you know if there are any issues there

9. brettp

brettp Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri v8
    I got speed hut gauges there the bollocks looks god!

10. andy

andy Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Ford Mustang
    Cool, I like speedhut. What colour do the gauges go at night ? Night picture please .

11. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Andy they go blue :) I’ve always liked blue over red and white is boring. Pics soon. Stu, checked the dash and it doesn’t fit, the dash top metalwork is in the way doh!! So that’s my job this weekend perhaps. Watch this space for pics, I may be looking for a dash top if it goes wrong

12. Nick

Nick A human. Being. Staff Member Forum Tech

Drives:
    BMW
    Ah your gauges finally landed mate, love speedhut stuff Stuball put me on to them. Fuel tank looks awesome, glad its gone to a good home

13. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Night/evening picture, although the photo doesn’t do it justice. The led warning light are horrendously bright and I had a headache after a few seconds so I will look for some dark tinting plastic to stock on the lenses to kill the glare a bit.

[​IMG]

14. andy

Drives:
    Ford Mustang
    Very cool, I like those. Thanks for the photo.

15. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Brakes are done. Went Halfords today, bought dot 4 synthetic, and an easy bleed Gunsons branded thing which I’m not too sure made any effect, I still had to press the pedal to bleed it..

Paid £30 for one of the in situ brake flaring tools for din 3/16 and made up some pro looking correctly made flares. Impressive compared to be last brake lines I made for this which were single flare and wrong - although never failed I’d like to add in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. 302Capri

302Capri Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '79 Mk3 BOA, '69 Mk1 GT V8
    Great progress, the end must be in sight!
    What brake flaring tool did you buy? I'm after one myself as I need to make all new pipes for my Mk1. It's always good to have a recommendation as there are some rubbish tools around these days.

17. CapriGear

CapriGear Capri Gear Trader

Drives:
    Ford Focus, BMW 540i
    I use a sykes pickavant one, had it over 20 years and made up hundreds of pipes with it.

18. 302Capri

Drives:
    Thanks Martin.
    Is it this type? They seem to have a few different ones.

20180907_001610.jpg

19. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
  20. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    So some bad news or a step back.. when running my engine after a week it has suddenly decided that the oil pressure will shoot through the roof and the coolant temp will do the same.
    It was fine before hand so had no idea what went wrong, until..

Purchased a elekcity thermo gun from amazon.

On the warm up here’s the results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the gauge is showing 20 degrees too high for some reason. I’m glad this is the issue as it’s fairly easy to correct. I’ve emailed speedhut, I’ve heard some people with this issue have sent them back for recalibrating.

Not sure about the oil pressure though, I forgot to mention this to speedhut in my email but I haven’t tested this one yet separate from the gauge. The first week it was reading 40-60 psi and now idle is 100 psi...

21. 302Capri

Drives:
  22. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Contacted speedhut, carried out some tests on the senders to find out the problem with gauges, awaiting a reply but good helpful responses so far.

Purchased 4x alpine oem speakers from eBay, rears came but waiting for more stock on the fronts to come in. Question: what does oem apply to when it comes to items. Does it mean it’s made to the original spec and therefore should fit in place just as snug as the original? Or does it mean you can get a speaker of the same diameter and say it’s oem because of the diameter match, even though it’s a b*tch to fit to the car?—>

I spend about half an hour making the hole bigger on the lh speaker mounting plate so the speak would fit through it as the new alpine speaker is physically bigger than the original.

When fitting the rh speaker I worked out I could just drill 4x new screw holes in the plate and fit the speaker on the back of the plate rather than through it, this way only took 5 minutes HaHa.... I wasn’t impressed with my lack of thinking. But now you all know so it will save you time!

I’ve also fitted the rear anti roll bar with new bolts from retrobolts on eBay. Dropped the car off the stands ready for a little test drive 20 yards or so ( no exhaust still so too loud for round the block). I think the rear is a tad too low myself, I might remove the 1” blocks and see how it looks without, I suspect it’ll look about 1” higher..

Problems I’ve found so far:

Pin hole leaks from a weld in the ally radiator, needs fixing.

Slight weep from rear diff cover where I jacked on it, as well as a weep from prop flange on axle (I’m pretty sure anyway).

Need to get exhaust made up.

Need to fit horn.

Need to sort speedhut gauges out.

Brakes could do with more bleeding.

23. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    look out Steve, I think you’ll be getting it back soon for final check over and tidy up.

24. CapriGear

Drives:
    Ford Focus, BMW 540i
    That's the modern version of the one I have.

25. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Well I’m at the exhaust shop today having the exhaust made up. Photos later

26. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
  27. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
    nice!!, are you going stainless?

28. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Yea that’s a full stainless 2.5” system with single box

29. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Minimal updates on the car, had the alternator refurbed as I was getting mickymouse results when testing the output. This may or may not have been the cause of the speedhut gauges playing up but when I carried out their tests on the gauges they weren’t showing right either. Gauges area not better now but not convinced they are 100% accurate on my car so will have to use them as a guide rather than perfect readings. For a daily sprint to work and back that’s all I’ll need anyway.

The past couple of months I’ve been trying to put a garage base down for a prefab garage I’ve got off eBay. Double garage ( or 1 and a half, will have to see once car is in), will keep the wet off me and the car which is what I bought it for. With help from a loaned digger from work I have spent the last 2 months worth of weekends digging up old concrete, removing the dirt from underneath and relaying the old concrete as hardcore. Dirt was moved by hand/ builders bucket through the house into a skip out the front due to bad access to garage area. This took most of the time up even with my dad helping the whole way and I have now had my years exercise in those 2 months!

It’s finally starting to look like it’s getting somewhere but of course, doing this in winter time is silly and there’s no light after work during the week to do anything. Even worse as the month gets on. We have called it a day for now. The car is now secured for winter behind a mound of rubble.

30. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Back up to SM Classics for finishing off.

[​IMG]

31. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Update from Steve, mot to follow soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

32. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    [​IMG]

Now MOT’ed

33. PenelopesMaster

PenelopesMaster Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk1 Capri
    Just re-read through this thread. Awesome car, good to see mot is done.
    What events are lined up for it this year?

34. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Hope to go to dunton and Brooklands if I can persuade the mrs to come along

35. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Got the car back. YAY!!

It’s runs like shit with a misfire on cylinder 2. I’m currently digging into this to find the problem, will let you know when I find it.

At least I have some eye candy on the drive now even if I can’t use it lol

36. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Found the issue, some bad solder work from when I shortened a Bit of wiring within the injector circuit. Resoldered and test driven - now sounds like a car god would drive

Last edited: 13 April 2019
    PenelopesMaster likes this.
  37. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Next to do:

Buy softer front coils
    Raise rear suspension
    Sort shitty brakes out

38. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Ordered a set of burtonpower coil over springs, 12” x 140 pound. Figured 140 was the best thing from google searched and assumed the front springs were compressed already when I measured the length on the car so went with 12”. How wrong I was.. the springs came in the post so I went and removed one of them from the car and this is what I found:

[​IMG]

8” springs (which weren’t compressed at all) and 300 stamped on the top!

Found out size does in deed matter as the 12” springs I bought were too long for my struts. Ordered a replacement pair with the next best thing available at the time: 9” 170 pound springs. Went to burton and collected them.

Springs then fitted up a couple days later, during this I also found one of the hub bearing nuts had worked loose or something so tightened that up as the hub was flopping about.

Today I went to start her up for a quick drive around but it wasn’t running right at all. Checked over the engine bay and thought “great here we go again” with running issues..
    Turned out to be out of fuel, remembered the gauge isn’t calibrated fully yet so it was reading just under 1/4 but was out. A tap on the fuel tank bottom made this apparent.

Topped up with about 25ltrs from the shed and that’s now running again. Next this will be to go to petrol station, fill up and calibrate.

Crash & Burn likes this.
  39. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Yesterday I modified the front arb by extending the shaft (not extend but grind material away before it If you get what I mean) that fits through the tca either side as to allow the strut to stay in the correct position after being lowered. After doing so I went on a quick drive and found the unmentioned clunk on the front coil overs i have is still present.

Today (after a night of google) I whipped the wheels off the front to look into this clunk. One find online said that it could be down to the top nut/collar that holds the gas insert into the strut body not being tight enough, meaning the insert bounces up and down a bit. This is something I found on the passenger side more than the drivers, but I tightened them both up nice and snug and that’s it for tonight. No test drive till tomorrow?? Possibly..

I also noticed I need a couple more washers behind the arb nuts to tighten it all up. I wasn’t sure how tight to do the castellated nuts up on the front arb when I stripped it off yesterday. Do they need to be pretty tight? Like.. will the tca bush sleeve give resistance between the washers and the nut when tightened to show its tight enough?

40. clicon357

Drives:
    MK2 1976 2.0L GL (rotten), Mk3 1983 2.0L "S" (basically just the shell), MK3 1.6L Cabaret (nearest to being back on the road) - all in bits! Focus 2.0 Ghia Zetec estate awaiting sills. 2.0S Mondeo Duratec estate for the daily.
    Can I ask what you paid and where for the st/st exhaust? Seem to recall a place in Essex that makes exhausts whilst you wait pretty much and come highly recommended.

It would of course mean me travelling north of the border...

41. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Got it from pipe craft in Basildon, can’t remember how much. Either £300+ or £600+ but they quoted me over the phone for it. Worth a shout. Took 4 hours all in i think.

There is another place in Dagenham/ chad well heath that was a little more expensive but I think that might have been a 2 box system now I think of it. Or there’s another place in Basildon which make them up for over £1000 whose work is supposed to be really really good. If I can google them I’ll post a link

Last edited: 24 April 2019
  42. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Sun is shining, the Weather is sweet.. time to get polishing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then came across this paint peeling badly on the scuttle grill.. what do I do now, apart from have a little cry in the corner?

[​IMG]

43. Nick

Drives:
    BMW
    Not sure there is alot you can do besides have the scuttle repainted. Im no paint guy though, someone else may be able to help. Looking mighty fine though mate, you enjoying driving her?

44. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    I'll let you know once I've taken it for a proper drive.

Are you in high Wycombe or Preston?

45. Nick

Drives:
    BMW
    Preston

46. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    All this time I thought you in high Wycombe. Strange...

47. Nick

Drives:
    BMW
    hahaha

48. SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA

SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK3 STRATOS SILVER 3.0 GHIA
    Just needs a light sand down, it should blow in OK, car is looking A1.

49. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Car has just sat there gathering dust for a few weeks. Fuel gauge seemed to have been dropping rapidly when in use and after testing the fuel sender and finding readings leading me to believe the fuel tank is empty I quickly assumed the engine I put in was gas guzzling like something mad. I was looking at piggy back ecu options to get the car tuned and even had a plan in the far back end of my mind to get this done.

However... I've just been petrol station and got 10ltrs of the flammable stuff in a can to top the tank up just enough to get me and the car to the petrol station for a full refuel but the 10 Lyra of fuel was enough to fill the filler neck and brim the tank...

Next thing then is to check the fuel sender readings as even now it says empty. I'll try to recalibrate the speed hut fuel gauge too. It could be either of these items giving the false reading at this point.

Good news is I'll be spreading her wings today taking my son out to a birthday party. Yay.

50. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Right.. I think the fuel sender reading issue was part down to the galvanising on the fuel sender terminals and part down to the gauge calibration. I recalibrated the full mark but when I recycled the ignition the gauge would go to 3/4 mark instead of full and would then creep downward towards empty. I was reading between 98 and 103 ohms across the sender terminals, seemed to change every now and again between the 2. I used a small file to rub some of the galvanise off of the terminals to give a decent connection for the wires and tried the gauge again. I recalibrated it once again on full mark and it now recycled back to the same full mark and holds.

Fingers crossed that's that fixed. Can't wait to see what happens when it gets to empty mark. Hopefully the car will not have run out of fuel before it gets there lol.

51. 2.8jonny

2.8jonny Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    I'll be quite interested how this pans out. In my mind zinc is a very good conductor as it's used for sacrificial anodes where I work all the time and on boats obviously but on the other hand I really want your issue to be fixed. So fingers crossed.
    Jon.

52. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Yea me too, I just found it weird how using a multimeter I would get a non constant reading across the terminals but once "cleaned off" I got a lower resistance constant reading. I'll be expressing frustration on here if it plays up again so you'll know for sure if I'm wrong.

53. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Put the spoiler back on today, it's a bit ropey but f it. Wasted too much money on the thing not to give it a go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

54. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    little steps make a difference

55. CosmicCapri

CosmicCapri Active Member Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Laser 1600
    Love that spoiler, turbo tail I presume, very nice indeed.

56. caprimk3

caprimk3 Richard Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mondeo Mk3, 78' Capri 2.3S
    Spoiler suits it :)

57. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Thanks guys, I'll admit I wasn't sure at first, but I wanted one so badly for ages. Think I got used to the original spoiler so now it's a change to get used to.

58. PenelopesMaster

PenelopesMaster Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk1 Capri
    Like that, got the colour to tie in well with the rear bumper by the look of it from a phone screen anyway.

59. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    update: after my trip to the half way house when the car decided it needed to not start for a while, on the trip home I found the passenger side headlamp didn't work. So today I've replaced the h1 bulb.

Also bought some 140 pound coil springs for the front coil overs to replace the 170 pound ones I bought from burtonpower on one of the last updates. Removed the springs only to find they also have 140 written on them (confused).
    Fitted the new ones anyway. Not sure what's happened there as Im sure I was sold 170's.

Caprigear supplied some powder coated headlamp rings at a good price as mine were a bit crusty. I'm loving how neat the powder coating is and it looks much much better.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 August 2019
    BigJ likes this.
  60. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Latest news: I've decided the car is slow accelerating in third fourth and fifth gear and not living up to expectations of the speed hooligan mind. After researching I've found that the crown wheel ratio from the Nissan that my engine was from originally is 3.91:1. The axle I bought some years back for my car is a 2.8 lsd axle and I've now found that the ratio is 3:09:1 and even the internet says this ratio is slow for acceleration. Big difference between the 2 also.
    So.. I am going down the route of replacing the crown wheel and pinion set in my axle, I am going for what I'm told is a 3.75:1 but possibly a 3.77:1 from a Capri and while I'm at it I am replacing the bearings, pinion seal and diff cover.
    I did ask before if anyone had a guide on how to do this but I have now bought a Haynes manual for a 2.8 to see if the answers are in there.

I hope this is done before the Dunton ford meet 1st september

61. CapriGear

Drives:
    Ford Focus, BMW 540i
    3.75 is the ratio for the 1.6, 3.44 is the 2 litre. I believe that the 3.77-1 is from the English axle fitted to the 1.6 but this won't fit in your casing.

62. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Ok that makes sense why I saw the 3.77 when I was searching the net then. The guy I'm buying the 3.75 said it was a 3.75 and I just thought he meant 3.77. Me being silly

63. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Axle off, waiting for pat to deliver the parts tomorrow.

[​IMG]

2.8jonny likes this.
  64. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    Mk1 Facelift, 1600 Pinto (NGA318M) - mine had a 3.777:1 ...
    probably available on early Capri II as well .. it was a 50 inch Salisbury/Atlas
    first time I saw a 3.75:1 was on my Laser (D66JLS)

65. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Parts arrived, spent my day off of work AT work rebuilding the axle lol.

Stripped

[​IMG]

Diff bearings and wheel off

[​IMG]

Box of parts

[​IMG]

Heating the crown as per manual in boiling water for 5-10 mins.

[​IMG]

All back together with new oil and fitted to car. All I need to do is bleed the brakes again and test drive it. Should be all good but fingers crossed anyway!!!

2.8jonny likes this.
  66. caprinerd

Drives:
    itll be a different car with the lsd in

67. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    So the latest disaster is that the brake servo is trash. Push pedal and hear a hiss of air from around the pedal. Upon stripping I found the diaphragm has a small split and the Bakelite diaphragm plate was cracked ( now is several parts) but can't confirm if this was pre stripping or if I did that.

Now need a replacement servo

68. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Which servo do you need? I think I have a 2.8 one.

69. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Just saw your wanted 2.0 servo add

70. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Thanks Jonny, yeah it's the 2.0 I was after, to suit the Land Rover master cylinder I'm using.

71. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    I've searched far and wide, high and low. On the forum, google, gumtree and eBay. Even got my sister to post an ad on f book for me. No servo's around it seems.

So I've fitted an old 1600 one I had in the shed. Pedal seems ok but need to test drive it. Movement of the car is rare anyway, so as long as it gets the Dunton and back next week I'll be happy.

Also have/had an idle issue with the engine. While checking around for obvious suspects I ran my hand over the inlet manifold and heard another air hiss from a join. Changed a leaking gasket and blipped the throttle and it appears to have cleared up the idle issue mostly. I think I need to have it checked by someone who knows nissans more though.

Next: test drive this b1tch

72. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Test drive was a fail.

Brakes working fine, axle wines like a wining thing.

Next to do: find an axle specialist to do the job that's local to me (I don't want to pay a fortune in postage of an axle to and from if I can help it).

73. clicon357

Drives:
    Gravesend Transmission Services Limited might be able to help.

74. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Gutted, did you blue up the teeth and check the tooth mesh pattern?

75. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    I've checked their website and they look like gearbox people more than axles, had any dealings with them yourself Clive?

We did and the person I was doing it with said it looked ok but on testing I'm sure it must've been wrong.

Axle now off again and brakes, oil and shafts out. Booked in with Atkins motorsport up Sudbury way and the missus has agreed to run the axle up to them for me tomorrow while I'm back at work. This has turned out to be an expensive month, must try to do some overtime to pay the savings back.. or sell some of my unwanted car stuff.

I'm starting to think that it's easier and cheaper to just pay experts for jobs like this to be done, and to try to quiet the voice in my ear that says "I reckon I could do that"

I've also been noticing a slight rattle or tap which sounds like it's coming from under the rocker cover of my engine. It's been rebuild a while back but not many miles use ago. Google says this could be the hydraulic valve lifters sticking or bottoming out or something, but a lot of other people keep saying it's the big end bearings (which were replaced on this during the rebuild). When I look into this I will take the car somewhere for someone else to look at. I'm going to learn from the axle job I just did and not bother digging into it myself.

76. clicon357

Drives:
    On the gearbox front only. My Golf is ruining a box repaired by them a few years ago.

77. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    The man who never fucked anything up never did anything worth talking about

My axle is pretty quiet apart from the excessive play in the planetary gears, which I knew about when I built it. Also I would imagine the longer the ratio the more forgiving the mesh will be as the teeth are much bigger, mine is 3.09:1.
    I used a mesh pattern guide I found online, there are millions of them.

Hopefully the price won't be too bad as all yer bits are new to begin with.

Jon

78. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    I've been given a price of £295 without any additional parts. it's more than I would like to spend but to be fair to the guy who responded to me, I asked first time with a short time scale and he has said he will do his best to meet it (he didn't use the words "i promise it will be done before Friday ends" but he said it should be done by then, and I need it to get to Dunton).

79. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Spent all day today with the car.

Axle fitted, brakes bled, car compounded, polished and waxed. Shiny enough to pass my inspection, don't expect any awards tomorrow though.

Roll on tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Crash & Burn likes this.
  80. caprinerd

Drives:
    looks lush bud

81. acepower84

acepower84 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk3 2.1, Mk2 2.0S, Octavia VRS
    Looking very nice indeed. Remember seeing it at Steves place last in Doncaster.

mgentry90 likes this.
  82. Ptgladstone

Ptgladstone Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Peter gladstone
    What wheels and tires are you running mate

83. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Midland wheels 15x8's with nangkang 225/50 tyres

84. Ptgladstone

Drives:
    Peter gladstone
    They look bigger than 15”, how do you find the tyre size ?

85. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Tyresize seems ok to me, I need to sort the inner arches out though as they scrub with a full load in the back when going over bumps/up and downy roads at speed.

86. Ptgladstone

Drives:
    Peter gladstone
    My set is exactly the same as yours. I’ve got problems with front wheels catching the innerwing when it’s too low. Thinking of changing the tyre size but that’s a expensive trial

87. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Mines possibly not as low as yours then but I do also have adjustable tops and tca's which may or may not help mine.i have relocated my front washer bottle to in front of the drivers front wheel however I've since noticed this is being scrubbed too so that will need to be moved again!

88. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Washed and waxed again ready for tomorrows event at Brooklands.

Popped to work and picked up a couple of screws and fitted my bonnet safety hook as I've been very conscious about driving the car without it for a while so I can now drive part worry free.

Engine had a few issues during the drive to Dunton, started fine but when warmed up the revs with go up And down and now idle correctly. Found the seal for the non return valve on the replacement servo to be split, swapped the seal over off the old one and it no longer leaks. Replaced the servo to engine hose also with proper vacuum hose. I also gapped the spark plugs from around 1.1mm to 0.8mm as per google recommendations. Engine now seems to like running a bit more. Took it for a drive to work and back (as per above) and when you brake it still seems to have a non consistent idle rpm (and and down) but doesn't stall. I also have a whine when cruising without any acceleration. Not sure if this is the axle again or the gearbox, will need to look into it somehow.

The car is also not Massively comfortable to drive. You feel most bumps and imperfections in the road, I'm guessing this is down to the poly bushes I've fitted and the stiffness of the shocks etc. Still more setting up to be done.

89. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection

Mate I feel your pain.
    My engine idle is an issue.
    My ride is harsh thanks to poly bushes and my prop only started to vibrate when I fitted the leaf spring eye poly bushes.
    After my confident and triumphant axle rebuild, it seems my pinion has lost preload or maybe my bearings weren't fully seated as I have developed a whine on the over run.

As I said I feel your pain.
    I keep coming back to the fact that ford actually did a pretty good job first time around. Why did we think we knew better?
    Still your car looks bloody epic
    Jon.

90. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    I know what you mean.. partly think why did I bother, the other part says keep faffing until it's ok again (but be strong enough not to go back to standard stuff or ford win the battle lol). It's pretty darn quick, and that's what the aim was. Maybe I'll invest in some new rubber bushes instead of polys, but with this it's probably one of those things where you either have to change them ALL to rubber or dont change any or it won't work right.

I might see if any garages who work on the older cars can give it a incentive over and make sure the tracking, castor etc and all that is correct, might find I've over or under tightened a few things and it's not allowing enough give where some should be. Who knows.. but for now, enjoy the bumpy ride and the good vibrations lol

2.8jonny likes this.
  91. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    when you played with the rear springs and ride-height ... did you adjust the ARB properly to cope ..
    if that didn't happen the ass-end will be bunny-hopping all over the place ..

92. Not_Anumber

Not_Anumber Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1983 2.8i 5 speed. 2x previous Capris.
    I like the neat way that battery has been fitted. For a minuite i thought it was the top section of a dummy battery.

93. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Thanks, think I need to add some kind of ventilation to it as it's starting to grow white fluff on any bare metal around it ie the heads of screws on the wheel arch trim pieces etc.

94. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Update on the axle: I don't think the axle wines. It seems to be my fourth gear in the gearbox. Apparently these gearboxes have issues due to being ragged about. Will need to source a good replacement or look at repairs. No time soon though, wait till it gets louder..

2.8jonny likes this.
  95. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    I found a good sunroof interior headlining panel in the other car I've just bought so I though I would steal it for this baby. The bastad went and ripped on me though. It seems the headlining on it was getting caught on the rod that runs down the centre of the roof inside if you know what I mean. This was snagging and causing it to tear. Annoying but hey ho, I plan on replacing the headlining one dah anyway as it's grimey and needs sticking back in places now.

96. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Had a play last night with the 0-60 time setting on my Speedhut gauge

[​IMG]anonymous photo sharing

wet road, 10pm darkness, pulling out of a slip road on the A127 with some traffic to pay attention to.

could be better..

97. andy

Drives:
    Ford Mustang
    Cool. I really like those dials.

98. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Happy Valentine's Day B54odx, I love you xxx lol

99. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    You old-fashioned romantic. Stay away from my car.
    :)

100. mgentry90

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Small update.

I am modifying the engine further to what some people refer to as "stage 3". By replacing the injectors for ones out of the larger 2l Nissan engine, replacing the air flow meter with one out of a Nissan 300zx, and by getting a pre-programmed chip fitted to the engine ecu I will receive up to 300-330bhp out of the engine.

I have purchased the injectors and they are in the post from Portugal, need to sort the other bits out still once pay day comes.

will let you know once it's done.

2.8jonny likes this.