Thinking Of Making A Video About The Capri

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by Capri2.0S, 22 October 2016.

1. Capri2.0S

Capri2.0S Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Ford Capri
    Hey everyone, I've been throwing this idea around in my head for a while now and I really want to do a video like all these big YouTubers do when they buy an expensive new Lambo or Ferrari with their ad revenue money showing off their cars, but i want to take it further and make it even better cos it'll be about the Capri. ;)

Now i cant do it anytime soon since mine is being repaired, but once its all done id like to give this a shot. I have experience in the media field having done a full BBC approved course in media techniques and editing so i know my rule of thirds from my dutch angles, but instead of just doing a simple funny "showing off" video with my car id like to do a Top Gear style review of the Capri from the perspective of the modern every day driver (aka me).

And when i say Top Gear style, i mean the similar brand of tongue in cheek humour and silliness which i know isn't to everyone's taste but it is to mine and im the one making the video so shut it! lol.

Anyway, because i like to go in depth with these sorts of things im gonna be writing a script and wanted to include as many facts about the car as possible, preferably as many tidbits that most people wouldnt know about as possible.
    Now i know i could just go online and do a google search for all of this, but i thought it would be more fun to come on here and chat with you all about it and maybe get some opinions and what you would like to see included in the video, as well as maybe some of your own little "secrets" about the car that maybe wouldn't pop up in a typical google search that would make for interesting content to include in the video?

I will be taking the p*$$ a bit in the video, making fun of the cars' handling and its past image problem and the type of people who drive it but it'll all be with love as i think its one of the best cars ever made so it wont be out of any disrespect or anything like that.

What do you all think? I mean im gonna do it for fun more than anything else so im not expecting to make money or ad revenue or get famous or anything like that from it, but just thought it would be a fun little project to do as its something ive always wanted to try out and thought it would be cool to include the community a little bit.

Like i said its gonna take a while, but if youd like to share your own little personal stories or have any useful bits of interesting information about the car or its history that youd think would suit this type of production then by all means share away and i'll try and work it into the video. I cant guarantee it will make the cut as these things are never a sure fire thing because you always leave a lot on the cutting room floor...or rather on the hard drive as the case may be these days, but you never know. :guitar3:

2. pas28i

pas28i Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.8injectionSpecial, golf gti mk2
    Hi I think it's a great idea, I couldn't pull it off myself as I don't have the charisma like Clarkson and the like!

One of the best documentaries on the Capri was by Quentin Wilson in the late 90s; the car's the star..I think an update on that Is a good starting point, and that was made when the Capris image had reached an all time low.

Music is the key too and use what reminds you of the Capri rather than the cliche disco music etc....I made loads of mix tapes when I used to drive mine (the closest thing to time travel)
    I'm sure you have your own soundtrack!

An interesting book to read is by Steve Saxty about the mk3, especially regarding how Ford got their sums a bit wrong (spending about £6 a car)and could've developed it further etc, to the eventual demise of the car.

Best of luck look forward to seeing it!

3. Capri2.0S

Drives:
    Ford Capri
    Hmm, might see if i can find a digital copy (if you know what i mean ;) ) of that book, (working with a grand budget of £0 after-all) it sounds interesting.

I will be using music, mostly 80's stuff i reckon but only around 20 to 30 seconds per track because of copyright and fair use, otherwise some greedy corporate scum will try and claim the video as their "property".

I remember that Quentin Wilson documentary, it was pretty good but not the route i want to go down, i want mine to be less serious, more light hearted and entertaining whilst poking fun at a few other types of road users while im at it, just for good measure. ;)

Shame theres no other Capri owners that live near me, it would make a nice a group shot or we could go down Southend and line up along the seafront for a nice shot along the seafront.

4. Daz-RSK

Daz-RSK Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1985 2.8i Injection Special
    I think this is a brilliant idea.

As you say, there are loads of these on Youtube but tend to be on the exotic and expensive. I think one on the Capri will be excellent.

I have something in mind for you as well, if of any use. It sounds like you have a lot of ideas anyway.

I need to make some enquiries next year, as said in the attached link, but I would be looking for someone to cover this and if this could entwine with what you are doing, that would be excellent. The only issue is that this is some fair time off.

http://www.capripower.co.uk/forum/index.php?//topic/40098-another-50-years-of-capri-event-2019-home-of-the-capri/

5. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
    Excellent idea, look forward to it, if you need any info that others may not know, i have a great book (which due to re doing our house has been packed away), anyhow one of the persons contributing Capri facts is none other than Francis Ellingworth AKA Laser
    anything Fran and Nial don't know about the Capri could be written on a pin head

6. Capri2.0S

Drives:
    Ford Capri
    Im probably gonna try and get this made in the spring sometime, or whenever the weather decides to start brightening up again after our famously long and dull winters.

Id love to be a part of your event, bare in mind though i dont actually have any professional equipment of my own other than a mobile phone camera. I have the pro editing software and high end pc to use it and know how just haven't got the camera, but you'd be surprised at the sorts of results you can achieve with amateur equipment when you know what you are doing. Just because its not a £15000 piece of camera equipment and is something nearly everyone has in their pocket these days doesn't mean it has to look like poo.

Not sure how i'd make it up there though and deal with all those people but its a long way off still so who knows?

I might shoot them a pm and ask them for some trivia then!