1. Please be aware due to the move to new software, this may cause some issues. The first of which is your display name is now changed to your login name. If you wish to have this changed please email admin@capripower.co.uk. If you have any other problems please let us know.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Upload images straight into your post. No need to use 3rd party hosting. Just click the 'Upload a file' button.
    Dismiss Notice

Water ingress into passenger footwell

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by mgentry90, 10 August 2018.

1. mgentry90

mgentry90 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Weather has been wet recently, giving me a chance to look for th source of my passenger footwell puddle.

Please see below image, this is where the water looks to be coming from. It’s located in the top of the passenger footwell on the left hand side against the apost or whatever’s behind the scuttle and it’s where the seam sealer is between the apost and whatever is above this.

You can see the water trail

[​IMG]

Is my car fooked? Does this mean I have to lift the scuttle to stop the leak?

2. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Electrical ??? what like .. bzztt Feck !!! Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    when I went to France in 2010, we got caught in the mother of all rain storms on the way back ..
    Isobel complained bitterly that her Radley Handbag was getting wet!

well I reckoned screen seal.. so got my arm up back of the glove box and found it to be fairly dry ..
    but when I lifted the carpet .. the A-pillar / bulkhead / floor wasn't as joined up as I would have wished!

first check - there's a drain hole under the corner of the screen seal that drops out into the engine bay behind the bonnet hinge - blocked?
    take out glove-box .. check all up below the bulkhead, the A-pillar, and under the scuttle ..
    it will be save-able but you're gonna need some nuts to dig in and find the actual fault
    110628aer.jpg
    pic for demo purposes only .. this was more solid than we expected .. (sic)
    110718afr.jpg
    would appear this why my Isobel's handbag got wet in the rain - route one for spray from wheel to carpet !!

3. clicon357

clicon357 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK2 1976 2.0L GL (rotten), Mk3 1983 2.0L "S" (basically just the shell), MK3 1.6L Cabaret (nearest to being back on the road) - all in bits! Focus 2.0 Ghia Zetec for the daily drive!
    Sure it's not from the sunroof drain tubes exiting into the A post?

I've heard rumours the tubes were meant to exit into the sills but we're sometimes cut short if there was a shortage and can end well up the A post. Certainly the case with my Cabaret.

Elliot on here took his tubes down and I think through the sills rather than emptying into them.

Clockwork Orange likes this.
  4. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Electrical ??? what like .. bzztt Feck !!! Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    --
    don't get me started on the sunroof drain-tubes.. one of Fords most stupid design ideas ever..
    tubes drain into sills, sills are a welded cavity with spaces to allow said box section to drain out to atmosphere .. total Bollox of an idea!
    firstly - rust prevention at its simplest - Waxoyl - fill the sills with a wax substance.. it dries up and blocks the drainage so you change the sills to water tanks !

yup been there and decided to fit proper steel (gaspipe) tubes thru the sills to allow the drin tubes to drain out into the street ..
    110620aqr.jpg 110620arr.jpg 110705acr.jpg 110705adr.jpg 110705aer.jpg 110705afr.jpg 110706afr.jpg 110706agr.jpg

clicon357 and 302Capri like this.
  5. clicon357

Drives:
    MK2 1976 2.0L GL (rotten), Mk3 1983 2.0L "S" (basically just the shell), MK3 1.6L Cabaret (nearest to being back on the road) - all in bits! Focus 2.0 Ghia Zetec for the daily drive!
    Clockwork, my MK2 2.0GL had an aftermarket Webasto sunroof fitted, the big 36"x 36" one when I got it. Fanbloodytastic for Summer cruising down the coast etc but you might as well have taken the roof completely off it allowed that much water in!

I presume there would have been zero thought as to internal drainage with this type?

6. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    I have no idea how they arranged 'drainage' on webastos.. I would imagine not thought of .. as the roof and seal probably completely overlapped the (previously solid) roof skin ..
    so no deliberate intrusion in the sills as such.. but the incoming moisture would have to go somewhere.. am thinking 'carpet' !

7. clicon357

Drives:
    At speed the water from heavy rain would force itself under the front and drip down on the driver and passenger.

I remember it has a sublime, hinged wind deflector. Smoked plastic and awesome looking. Again, at speed it would gradually force itself down and you'd have to keep pushing it back up. Not mine but like this:

DSC01560.jpg

Clockwork Orange likes this.