What A Sad Sight

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by trevster mk 2, 12 December 2014.

1. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-CAPRIS-BREAKING-COMPLETE-CARS-X4-WHEEL-NUT-/360870444322?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item54058dfd22

what a sad sight, but may be of use to someone?

2. CAPRIghia30

CAPRIghia30 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    BMW E28 528i, BMW E28 518i, BMW F31 335D X Drive. Need another Cappa....
    That's terrible on one hand but good on the other. As long as they aren't just left to rot there are some good parts there. Your right thou, it will a sorry sight to all on here. You should of published a warning first - "Viewers may find the following scenes upsetting or distressing !!!"

3. CapriGear

CapriGear Capri Gear Trader

Drives:
    Ford Focus, BMW 540i
    If cars like this aren't being broken then where the hell are the parts to keep possibly dozens more Capris on the road going to come from?
    There certainly isn't a magic tree at the bottom of the garden.

4. Laser

Laser Laser Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    1.6 Laser and 2.0S
    this yard has advertised quite a few times over the last year and my guess is that hopefully these cars have been used to keep others alive and on the road
    without these streams of usable spares entering the system .. capri ownership would be almost impossible ..

5. chris249

chris249 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1.6 LS, 1.6 Laser, 2.8
    Ooh there looks like a glacier blue LS like mine in those pics! I'll have that one! as said useful parts for running capris and restorations

6. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
    i know this is where we all get our bits from, needs must and all that, but it's still a sad sight.
    this is even worse,warning you as a capri owner will find these scenes very distressing[​IMG]
    https://www.youtube....h?v=sXbzmU10-EA

7. Stuinboro

Stuinboro Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri

Haha brutally honest as usual Martin, when u off to work for the diplomatic core ;-)

8. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    Oooh! Modified parts galore! :rolleyes:

9. CapriGear

CapriGear Capri Gear Trader

Drives:
    Ford Focus, BMW 540i
    I'll tell you all what would be an even sadder sight and that is Capris being scrapped because certain items that are crucial to keeping them running are no longer available.

10. chriscapriman

chriscapriman Registered Capri Power Member

somewhere where i dont know where i am, near liver
    Drives:
    '71 Capri 2.0XL & '86 Capri 2.0 stupidlaserturbo & '93 Granada Scorpio Estate 2.0 & '12 Focus wagon oil burner
    Got a few things off this bloke over the years, he would only break a rotten car that's beyond economical repair, if it was solid or worth saving, he would likely sell it complete if someone was willing to pay.

11. grifterkid

grifterkid Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    An imaginary 3-litre S...!
    I agree that it is sad to see any Capri nearing the end of its life...!!!

However, at least these old beasts are being broken to help with the survival of Capri's that have a better chance of living again...

Unfortunately some people just don't have the time or the money to rescue these wonderful motors so this thing is bound to happen and it can't be all bad...!

As has been noted elsewhere getting spare parts for Ford Capri's is becoming harder as the weeks roll by so when parts do become available it must be a good thing... As long as the parts are reasonably priced of course!!!

So, it is sad to see Capri's being broken but as long as good people are trying to keep theirs on the road this really has to happen...

12. CapriMk1man

CapriMk1man Registered Capri Power Member

I agree with CapriGear (Martin) and Laser (Francis). These days, most think long and hard before scrapping a car but the knowledge that they'll help to keep others running "softens" the blow. What I find much harder to stomach is the YouTube clip of the "event" at Swaffham. I recall reading about it at the time and sadly some users of this forum - presumably brain dead individuals - actually thought it was a good laugh to see Cortinas and Capris destroyed in this way. Those cars, once raced, will yield almost nothing in terms of spare parts as everything gets bent, broken and destroyed. I have two scrap Capris myself and over the 10 or 15 years I've had them they have yielded countless items for me and others and, despite their deterioration, they are still yielding bits.

13. moochy13

moochy13 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri 2.0S mk3, triumph spitfire mk3.
    The cars I've seen that have been used in banger racing, I wouldn't want any of those bits on my car, they were all beyond repair. Interior, trim, glass and anything not needed is removed. All they're left with is a terminally rotten shell and mechanicals way past saving except for a total 100% scratch rebuild.

14. MarkW

MarkW Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 3.0S Janspeed Turbo, Green '81', Ford Mondeo Graphite 'Daily'.
    I actually quite like to see them, yes on one hand it's sad to see any cars demise however gone are the days of wandering around scrap yards walking over cars just to get a water pump or something else, I used to enjoy it. I think the pics are quite arty and what has been said where else you going to get salvaged parts from. All ways up its bitter sweet.

15. jase 5700

jase 5700 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk3 5.7 V8 MK2 3 ltr S
    I'd prefer these to be broken than banger raced. Or a return of that stupid bloody scrap scheme the government put in place. Those cars were just crushed, not broken or kept on the road.