What Am I Missing?

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by 04grayst, 1 May 2015.

1. 04grayst

04grayst Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1987 2.8i Special, Subaru Legacy 2.0 Sports Tourer, Borrows: Defender 110
    Hi all, im being beaten in a battle of wits with my gearstick gaiter ('87 2.8i Special in case that makes any difference), for the record, it doesn't take much. Before it went in for some work, it was ripped so when it needed removed before removing the gearbox it was just ripped off completely. Now that i have it back i just have a gaping hole and im trying to work out whether there is anything more than just the leather itself missing, cant believe that that is all that prevents noise, wind, heat, smells and the sight of the road rushing by. There is a black plastic square that surrounds the hole that i presume is meant to be inside the bottom of the gaiter but otherwise all that's there is the top of the gearbox.

Basically my question is are there shrouds or insulation missing and if that black frame needs to be inside a new gaiter how in the blazes do i get it out? ive been poking and prodding to noavail.

Cheers

Stephen

2. elliecharlie2008

elliecharlie2008 S M Classic Cars Trader

Drives:
    several capris
    where the gearstick goes through the tunnel there is meant to be a spongy looking bung over the years it rots away and falls out on to the road there is a replacement for them but I think people use allsorts (nothing flammable though)
    steve

3. BigJ

BigJ Registered Capri Power Member

Is it the square hole?

4. mgentry90

mgentry90 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Mine had a sponge like said. The leather has a black plastic surround that forms the square that it is stapled to

5. BigJ

BigJ Registered Capri Power Member

I used one of these Landrover gear gaiters on my square '83 2.8 shell to keep the road crud out. The '84 2.0 s has a round aperture but you should find something to fit. I then cut sound deadening foam into layers to form a pyramid over the gear-lever and pack out the void underneath the gear-lever gaiter.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item25a41aaaa9
    [​IMG]
    Craddocks, Padocks and Devon 4x4 all sell them for around a fiver.