Your Chemicals Of Choice

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by fearthecat, 8 April 2012.

1. fearthecat

fearthecat Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    himself crazy with 3 and a half Capri Ghias
    From time to time there's been sporadic topics about what products to use, and I was wondering if anyone's willing to spend a bit of time describing what they've had good results with. I've found that most of my plastics when washed in hot soapy water, even when scrubbed with a rough sponge, still end up showing dirt and rust stains when dry. I've cleaned metal parts but they seem to tarnish quickly or the product feels like residue has remained even after rinsing. I also struggle getting stains out of vinyl, such as a mold stain on the head-rest of a red Ghia seat. A lot of these cases are stains, dirt etc that's been left on the part for a long time, and I suppose with plastic parts the surface has degraded so I don't expect a nice smooth shine after cleaning, but I need advice for getting a truly clean part that I can then work with.

I would appreciate any recollections of cleaning products and methods you've had success with, as well as any restoration tips for plastics (including translucent ones such as lenes and instrument covers) and vinyl surfaces.

Kinda wishing it was as easy as dumping it in a hot sink with some hairy lip squid (Fairy), always worked for Matchbox cars.

2. jonrogers

jonrogers Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Dull company Eurobox, 2.8i
    I used shoe scuff cover on my bumper corners. Came up lovely!

3. north28

north28 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1983 capri 2.8i
    i use autoglym back to black on bumper corners & side trim come up nice

4. clicon357

clicon357 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK2 1976 2.0L GL (rotten), Mk3 1983 2.0L "S" (basically just the shell), MK3 1.6L Cabaret (nearest to being back on the road) - all in bits! Focus 2.0 Ghia Zetec estate awaiting sills. 2.0S Mondeo Duratec estate for the daily.
    Amyl Nitrate........whoops WRONG forum! :crazy:

I used peanut butter (crunchy) on some A-post kick panels. The nutty bits do the mild abrading and the palm oil feeds the plastic. I kid ye NOT!

On anything see through like acrylic then good old Brasso. Can't be ar5ed going out to the garage to see which one though! Toothpaste works too for cleaning stains etc. Neat vinegar for chrome.

Big fan of good old Back To Black as well.

Metal bits - depends what but if stuff is oxidising then just a cheap clear laquer.

5. Copey

Copey Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Sierra Sapphire, Ford Capri
    simonize shampoo and wax and some really easy wax stuff called Showroom Shine

6. BigJ

BigJ Registered Capri Power Member

Brake cleaner is great for cleaning up electrical connectors that are full of grime and oil.

7. daveyboy20

daveyboy20 Registered Capri Power Member

Just wrote a huge post and it disappeared! Forgive me if this now seems rushed!

Greyed plastics - heat guns work brilliantly. Keep it on relatively low heat and work the heat up until the plastic goes dark after about 2 seconds of pointing the gun at it, then slowly drag it along the surface. Don't do it too hot as it could distort and keep it away from painted metal as it blisters. I did the Micra about 6 months ago and it's still mint!

[​IMG]

Interior ingrained stains like mould - google autoglyn 'magic sponges' but don't be tempted to over use them asthey are very abrasive. Soak one in warm water and squeeze it out then careful work it on the surface but not too hard, then use a normal interior cleaner to take the residue off. I used autoglym products when I was a valater, you can get copies of magic sponges but some that I used broke up much quicker.

8. rossored86

rossored86 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    new focus RS is amazing
    powderd smokers tooth stuff is mild abrasive and good for plastics like dash lenses. just go easy and wet it.
    cp

9. Finn

Finn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.9 Mk 3 Capri. 2.8 Mk 3 Capri
    Elbow Grease is the main component in anything we do on our Capris, but when you sit in that drivers seat, its worth every single iota. Finn.

10. yogihogg

yogihogg Registered Capri Power Member

There are a couple of threads by Butler2.8i that he has done on detailing my 280 and 2.8 you should look at sorry rubbish at doing a link cheers Andy

11. Brocks Brookie

Brocks Brookie Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.8i
    http://www.capripower.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/22581-ford-capri-28i-special-protection-detail/page__p__224485__fromsearch__1#entry224485

http://www.capripower.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/16527-ford-capri-280-brooklands-enhancement-detail/page__p__161737__fromsearch__1#entry161737

Ric

12. WaxDaddy

WaxDaddy Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.9 '28valve' Cosworth Capri
    Peanut butter, baby oil, banana skins etc are all really good on black plastic trim

13. capparess

capparess Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri mrk2 3.0 s & 3.0 ghia
    leather wipes, brings up the console and dash lovely, dog wipes for removing dirt, i kid u not, removes stains from seats too.

i use a waterless shampoo on the car, cleans up great, with a shiny finish. no buckets and sponges or hoses.for a quick getaway. fairy liquid for washing on a nice car day and wax is usually autoglyn.