Alarms

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by PenelopesMaster, 11 October 2014.

1. PenelopesMaster

PenelopesMaster Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk1 Capri
    Hi all, looking to get an alarm fitted to the capri, what do you guys do for security?
    I have just had a quote for an autowatch 457, never heard of them before but the installer seemed good.

Cheers

Dave

2. Stuinboro

Stuinboro Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri
    Hi Dave, I have a fuel cut off immobiliser with remote central locking but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it bud!!
    I'll have a look tomorrow and give you a shout

3. panch

panch Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.0 LTR LASER. FJR1300. XR4I SIERRA
    I have got a wife to look after my capa i just take the muzzle of when we go out in the capa lolol :woot_jump:

4. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    whatever you decide, tread warily ... I have seen hundreds of 'professional' installations in my time, and in general they are shocking !
    of all the industries that involve wiring, I have never come across so many ropey connexions, excess loops of redundant wire ... (FXXXin) SCOTCHLOKS!!!
    me personally would do it yourself, in most cases now with Capris it seems that lift and shift is the way its done, so unless you secure the vehicle in a locked premises, or chain it to a drain cover, or heavy railings (Doc!) ... It will go if its targeted...
    on the 28i disabling the fuel system is simple and effective - trying to start and crank one over when the pump doesnt work is not a quiet affair, so if in the street will raise public interest (lovely motor, shame its not starting, bad guy gets noticed ... ) or in your driveway ... better than an alarm clock!
    sounders, simply triggered either by internal sensors or doorlocks ... one outside to alert the public, one inside to deafen the bast*rd ...
    Full DiscloK, covers the steering wheel and immobilises manouverability, non-intrusive to fit ...

5. Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk3 1.6l
    Rechargeable baby alarms are brilliant. Anyone so much as farts near it and you will know!

6. stucapri

stucapri Restore-A-Ford Trader

Drives:
    The wife mad !!!!!
    Clockwork said it all on this one. Yes, I have also seen many so called "professional" installations with alarms. Scotch locks everywhere. Shocking.

7. rossored86

rossored86 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    new focus RS is amazing
    They say --if you want to test he security of your house --lock yerself out .

Same goes with car -- the capri --break in in seconds. Alarms good if people bother to react to them --when did you last go out and check when your neighbours car alarm went off?

As clockwork has said ++++
    My security theory --hideway simple switches -two or even more just in case they find the first. and then big heavy steel things to lock the peddles and steering wheel two or even three will p**s off the most ardent criminal.

Alarm "BLIP BLIP" when you set it may sound modern (and a bit flash :rolleyes: ) on the capri but will not secure a thirty plus year old car design adequately.

cp

8. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
    as Alan said avoid dodgy wiring, i'm lucky i have garage which i've fitted dead locks to both sides of door plus original handle lock, also my other car with key fob lock parked in front most of time, steering lock, and battery immobiliser and if feeling paranoid i remove rotor arm as well
    most people just regard car alarms as a nuisence and because they go off if a dog farts next to them they don't take any notice

9. BigJ

BigJ Registered Capri Power Member

I have a system that will allow me to control the car with my phone by text message like setting or unsettling the immobiliser and which will track the car if it is moved say, by a low loader.

Not many of these stolen cars turn up afterwards which suggests that they are being broken for parts rather than ragged and then burnt out by joy riders so a tracker of some description will at least give the Police a fighting chance to recover it in the short term.

10. Stuinboro

Stuinboro Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri

Are you called Michael Knight and does it also have a red flashy light thing in the bonnet hahaha!
    Joe, I need an alarm like that in my life :thumbup1:

11. PenelopesMaster

PenelopesMaster Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk1 Capri
    Ok, time to look into trackers and big heavy steel things then. Thanks all.

12. rossored86

Drives:
    new focus RS is amazing
    If you can weld and have a frindly metal supplier with off cuts you may be able to fabricate a belt and braces wheel / peddle clamp --some of the padlocks are now super tough and if couupled to hefty steel it will beat an alarm hands down.

The old crook lock type was an idea but can be much bettered ---

Actually --just given myself an idea for the winter

cp

13. meeko

meeko Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    "alfie" black 2.8 and Mercedes E240 and astra Van and Focus CC3
    As my garage is full at the mo "alfie" has to stay outside for another winter. So to day I got him ready for his winter stay outside, first I took of the battery as it go's flat over winter then won't take a charge so any alarm now wont work, and chained it to a scafold post with a proper heavy duty chain so if any piky scum come round they will have to bring there disc cutter with them. about all I can do apart from connecting it to the mains.
    mike

14. atomic4

atomic4 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri V8 4ltr Twin turbo. W reg 3ltr S.
    Clifford systems are great. Also a Gps system would be an ideal back-up too!.

15. rossored86

Drives:
    new focus RS is amazing
    remove leccy bits like distributor cap and leads --if its to stand out side --a plastic bag loosely over the distrutor to keep wet out but air movement ---- as said alearsm are flash but capris are esaily nickabel --make it hard for teh thieves......
    Ihave a VW system on my golf and even that can be got around by a laptop and correct cable --installed my own little surprise when the monkeys plug a lap top into my OBD socket...

cp