Alternative To 2.8 Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by 302Capri, 3 September 2012.

1. 302Capri

302Capri Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '79 Mk3 BOA, '69 Mk1 GT V8
    I've been hunting for an injection tank for a while here in Ireland and am only finding leaky or rotten tanks. They are a little easier to come by in the UK but prices are high for a good one and the freight charge on top is a killer.
    Has anyone actually done something different before? I know the standard response is to add a swirl pot and a pair of pumps to the carby tank ( which should work) but has anyone actually done it and what was the result like?
    Alternatively there may be a tank from a different vehicle that could fit without too much modification.
    Any info would be appreciated.

Steve.

2. atomic4

atomic4 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri V8 4ltr Twin turbo. W reg 3ltr S.
    Unless of course you're feeling flush, you could bid on this item?.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330788097365?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

:smokin:

3. therealpinto

therealpinto Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri turbo
    I have tried a couple of solutions in my turbo Capri (since 2.8i tanks are made of unobtanium in Sweden).

My present and probably easiest solution is a lift pump inside the tank (Volvo 740/940), that feeds a high pressure pump outside the tank. No catch tank in between just a large filter.

I fitted the lift pump to the original fuel pickup pipe, and fed the wires through the original return pipe in the sender (2.0 MkIII tank/sender). The lift pump pushes the fuel through the original pickup pipe (good quality rubber hose to connect them). I have use a T fitting into the vent tube that connect the different parts of the tank as a new return fitting.

This has worked fine for me and my 2.0 turbo (300-ish bhp).

However, I will be modifying the system to use a catch tank instead, I went crazy and bought a lovely item from Intengineering in the US:

[​IMG]

It's mainly a part of my process to make the car more "bullet proof", I have not had any problems with fuel delivery on this setup.

Regards

Gustaf

4. 302Capri

Drives:
    Gustav, that is the sort of 'outside the box' thinking I was hoping for , brilliant idea using the in-tank pump!!
    I don't suppose you have pictures of the setup?

5. therealpinto

Drives:
    Capri turbo
    Well, I do have pictures but not online at the moment. At least some pictures of the pump in the tank. The outside one is basically just fitted around where the standard 2.8i pump would sit.

Regards

Gustaf

6. 302Capri

Drives:
    Thats a nice bit of kit from intengineering, I looked it up and I can see why you were tempted!
    If you have any pics of how you setup the in tank pump I would love to see them. Did you use a 2.8 high pressure pump or did you find something from another vehicle?

7. therealpinto

Drives:
    Capri turbo
    I will have to dig up some photos...

I have used the 2.8i pump, it's a very good one especially for EFI use, it supports a lot of power :)

Gustaf

8. therealpinto

Drives:
    Capri turbo
    OK, here we are;

The fuel pump and "pre-filter":
    [​IMG]

The filter acts as a small "catch tank" and also makes sure no crud gets into the fuel pump.

The in-tank pump (photo taken from the filler pipe hole):
    [​IMG]

Hard to see, but it's basically strapped to the pickup pipe.

Regards

Gustaf

9. 302Capri

Drives:
    Cheers Gustav and thanks for going to the effort putting the pics up.
    You have sold me on the in-tank low pressure pump - top idea! Now to work out a surge tank and the job is done. :thumbup1: