Best window weather strips

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by 2.8jonny, 4 May 2021 at 8:41 AM.

1. 2.8jonny

2.8jonny Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Hi guys
    As the title suggests, I'm looking for some window weather strips and want to know if any are better than others?

Tickover, cci, eastkent and eBay all offer options of varying price.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

About 20 years ago I used a set from eastkent and can't remember any issues but things change.

Thanks for input

Jonny

2. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    I got mine from CCD some 11-12 years ago, they have a definite hard ridge along the bottom where they clip in.. you cannot roll them up, and would no doubt have to be posted in a tube.
    they are preformed to fit the curve of the door top.. they are also supplied slightly longer than the standard fit, which gives some options when refitting to old doors and loose window frames as you can trim them into place
    I believe the hard edged ones are produced by East Kent Trims, so a phone call to confirm the construction would be my way forward ..

Tickover are very good, but I don't think they manufacture ... Martin @ Capri gear may have a supply, and obviously knows the subject extremely well..

CCi I wouldn't see as an option for many reasons ...
    eBay is a marketplace not a dealer, or a manufacturer, and would be my last choice unless it was a known good dealers 'online shop'.. but I would take that link from the dealers own site..

Others I have come across were just an extruded rubber strip, completely flexible, and useless as they just warped up in the run between the clips.. These were early days and of course may no longer be available..

3. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Thank you very much for the comprehensive answer clockwork. I really need a seal for the top of the drivers side door card too and east Kent do them. As per my positive experience from east Kent years ago, they are listed as moulded. I think as you suggest a call to east Kent is required.
    Thanks again.
    Jonny

Clockwork Orange likes this.
  4. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    ive seen the CCI ones and someone put them on Penny and although i have other issues with CCI, which in this case has no influence on my decision, i would very much tell you to steer clear, they are a bad fit, do not sit correct, let what through as in places do not touch the glass, on the drivers side it touches the glass but lifts out when winding the window up ive used new clips and re-seated it more times than i care to remember, ive been looking at east coast trim but am happy to try any others suppliers that get recommended but will not use or recommend the cheap nasty over priced crap that CCI supply

5. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Another fan of cci lol. Thanks, I'm deffo steering clear of that cack then.
    Jonny

6. CapriJake

CapriJake Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capris!
    East kent for sure. I retrimmed my door cards using their inner seals last year and the outside uses their seals, has been on for years and still Perfect, wouldn't use any others.

7. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
    i got my exterior ones from East Kent at the NEC show at discount, very happy with them and as Alan says they allow for trim, perfect!

SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA and 2.8jonny like this.