Bitter Sweet

Discussion in 'Members Capris' started by Elliot, 14 May 2021.

1. Elliot

Elliot Big Fabrication Guru Capri Power Member

Back at the end of August 2020, I took on a restoration project of mk3 2.8I here in Melbourne for one the nicest blokes you'll ever come across, he was a proud member of our local Capri club and regular attendee of the club, meets, shows and drives. Unfortunately, shortly after I started the project, he was involved in freak accident that took his life. I have been in contact with his family since then, and all they have wanted from that moment is for the car to be restored how he had always wanted. To cut as long story short, the family decided to part with the car and it has now fallen into my hands on the promise that I will finish the few jobs that the car came to me for. I will of course do that without hesitation and plan to take the car back to the family so they can see it restored in the flesh. It's a very original fairly unmolested example of a Capri, and I'm sure happy to be the new owner but I do have a lot of feelings of guilt how it came into my possession. Maybe guilt isn't the right word, I'm not sure what it is, I just feel bad that it was someone else's dream.

Here's the car the day I picked it up from the owner for restoration and brought it to work.
    [​IMG]

The 2 areas that need attention are the drivers front wing and the rear tailgate. The car has had a paint blowover at some point and there are signs that the list of jobs will get longer but nothing terminal.

[​IMG]
    Signs of problems deeper than first realised (always the way)

[​IMG]
    Early signs of the usual A post top area starting to suffer.

[​IMG]
    The old öh thats not a jacking point trick.

[​IMG]
    rear tailgate
    [​IMG]
    More tailgate
    [​IMG]
    Rust right along the lower edge and worse on the return lip. I will be making a new lower skin to repair this area so watch this space...

Thats the worst of the car, the rest of it is really quite healthy, the rear lower corners feel like they have been made of filler but the paint looks good and it can wait till further down the track. My first step on this project was to attend to the drivers front wing so off she came.

[​IMG]
    The headlight bowl is still very saveable for a 40 year old car. Just this front section needing replacing.

[​IMG]
    First piece of new metal ready for welding in.

[​IMG]
    Now to make that hole a little bigger....

[​IMG]
    Thats the bad bit gone.

[​IMG]
    Made a new end.

The wing to front panel lower section was all rotten to the core and most of the area where they bolt together was completely missing.....

[​IMG]
    So I made up a new one using a NOS panel that I have as a pattern.

[​IMG]
    Never made one of these before, I'm really happy how it came out.

[​IMG]
    Both repair sections welded in.

Last edited: 6 June 2021
  2. Elliot

Next I wanted to have a look at the A post top front section where they all turn to dust.

[​IMG]
    Wire wheel brushed the underbody protection off to see what I have to work with.... seen worse, thats for sure.

[​IMG]
    Extreme closeup !

[​IMG]
    Cut the A post skin off to reveal the wing panel needing some love also.

[​IMG]
    Kept cutting until I found good metal.

[​IMG]
    Wing repaired.

[​IMG]
    A post back to good health.

[​IMG]
    A post lower section could do with replacing, instead of buying this repair panel, I'm going to have a go a making it myself... whats the worst that can happen...lol.... but not yet...
    I wanted to do some work on the wing first....

[​IMG]
    Thats gonna be fun to make....

[​IMG]
    Ill probably remake this whole area... soon...

[​IMG]
    First job on the wing... remake the bottom section.

[​IMG]
    Getting some practise oxy welding...
    [​IMG]
    Plenty of penetration..

[​IMG]
    Cut off the untidy mounting rail.

[​IMG]
    Checking the fit of the new panel.

[​IMG]
    Tig tacks every 10mm... Because this area is so close to the top face of the wing I felt that if I oxy welded it, there would be a big risk of heat distortion, so slowly tig'd it instead.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Welded and cleaned up.

[​IMG]
    Some areas on the door closing panel need repairing from damage caused by me chiselling it off.

[​IMG]
    Lovely jubly.

Ok, so thats pretty much all the work that was done waaaay back in August /September last year. The car went back to the family after that and just last week, I took over the ownership of the car and its now at my home garage ready for me to complete the resto. Obviously my heart is into my V8 Capri, so im wary that I dont want 2 projects on the go at once so my plan is to work on the car to the point that the front wing is back on the car and painted, repair the chassis outrigger panel where the fuel pipe goes through, finish some small tidy up jobs and then at that point I have to get the car roadworthy (MOT) so it can become driveable and I can enjoy it for a while. I plan on then doing jobs over time but keeping the car on the road at the same time.

Elliot

my928s4 and Crash & Burn like this.
  3. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    Sorry to hear of the previous owner's demise. This sounds a lot like Evie's story, for those who recall. But there's value in guilty smiles.

Clockwork Orange likes this.
  4. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    you have taken on your friends mantle as agreed..
    He'll be smiling on you as you proceed ...
    Best of luck with the work, and Best Wishes to the family of your Friend ...

5. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    Taking on the work when you have so much other work going on, as you know there is no such thing as its only a little job, as these escalate, and ive had small jobs that have turned into complete body restoration one even ended up going to the blasters as it was job on job on job all the time
    Great work though, and also as Al has said wishes going to the family of your friend

6. caprimk3

caprimk3 Richard Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mondeo Mk3, 78' Capri 2.3S
    I agree what the others have said.
    Work is top notch as always.

7. kenny james

kenny james Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    3.0 GXL
    Looking at the cars in your workshop and the quality of work the car certainly ended up in the right place. Patching it up and selling it on wouldn’t have seemed right. Restoring the car to such a high quality is the right way to go and if you do have to move it on you have done the right thing. No need to feel any guilt.

8. Elliot

Thanks for everyones well wishes for the previous owners family, I'm sure they would appreciate them.

I had 2 spare days early this week so decided to repair the bottom section of the RH A post.

[​IMG]
    So, I cut the rotted section of A post and found the bulkhead, the inner sill and a small section of the floor all with localised heavy rust so that was all removed. I tried to take a photo down inside the sill looking back but the photos didnt come out well, its minty brand new inside there all the way back which was a pleasant find. Theres signs of some sort of waxy residue so thats probably helped preserve it.

[​IMG]
    Using the cut out section of bulkhead as a pattern to make up a new section.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bulkhead and floor welded up.

[​IMG]
    New piece to repair the inner sill.

[​IMG]
    Inner sill patched up.

I forgot to take progress shots of the bullnose section, but I basically made it in 2 halves. Normally a shape like that would be stretched with a round nose hammer but that does thin the metal and as this area is prone to rusting I did it the hard way and shrank the surrounding areas instead which thickens the metal so should help somewhat.

[​IMG]
    Turned out pretty close to original and a million times better fit than that expressed steel rubbish. Still need to tidy up and panelbeat it a little but I was here on my ownsky and cant panelbeat that area on my own as I dont have orangutan length arms.

Elliot

my928s4 likes this.
  9. 2.8jonny

2.8jonny Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Regardless of circumstances, couldn't be in better hands.
    Lovely car and great work.
    Jonny

10. Elliot

It is in not bad shape. It's very untouched which is often better than restored previously by Stevie Wonder and an ark welder.

Ive got a few days to put into the car again this week so today decided to attack the RH wing mounting rail. It isnt in bad nick and from the outside of the car, it all looks dandy but I could just tell there was a tiny bit of rust building up on the engine bay side right next to the strut top reinforcement. Almost un-noticeable to be honest, but I figured, there would be worse hiding once the triangular reinforcement was removed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Really really very lucky the rust hasnt gone any further than this or it would have been strut top off and a whole lot more work. Still, i was surprised there was actually holes through the metal as it looked nice and clean before I removed the reinforcement. Definately caught this before it got a lot more expensive.

[​IMG]
    Marking out where to make the new panel to.

[​IMG]
    Always better to have a smooth rounded cut lines instead of square or right angled cuts because that will result in too much weld heat at that corner and cause lots of problems.

[​IMG]
    Cut a metre x 80mm piece of plate, fold a 90 degree angle in it, shaped the top edge in the shrinker and then hand formed the bottom edge to suit.
    [​IMG]
    Before this photo was taken I drew a pattern of the original top line onto some plywood so that once the new section goes in I can make sure its the same. Removing metal like this always always means the metal will move a little... its surprising how little can cause you issues later down the track so always take measurements or patterns.

[​IMG]
    Chemically rust treated and ready for some copper weld primer.

[​IMG]
    New section welded in. Wasnt fun welding upside down on the underside. Just needs panelbeating and dressing up tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    I decided to get some paint in the air gap at the back of the strut top reinforcement on the engine bay side. I came up with a good idea to use a wd40 spray can nozzle with pipe thing and rip that off and fit it to some silver engine enamel I have... apparently when you fit the wd40 can top onto another can, you cant stop the paint from coming out non stop...lol...

Elliot.

11. Elliot

This morning I cleaned up the area a bit and chemically treated it, weld thru primered etc etc and welded on the triangular reinforcement. Then onto the next bit. Id noticed the battery tray reinforcement panel looked swollen from underneath and theres only one reason thats happening...

[​IMG]
    Ive since removed this panel and made up a new section already but there is rust holes in the inner wing itself, not bad, but another job to add to the list...
    While I was covered in underbody grit I decided to clean up this whole area of underseal and get it back to bare metal......

[​IMG]
    And then I found this... I had already kind of pre-planned to get the inner wing all back in underseal by the end of tomorrow and when I saw that, to name a famous movie quote... this is not the kinda answer I'm looking for from you (5 points to the first person to guess the movie and a bonus point if you can name the actor).

[​IMG]
    In the hope of the problem being minimal I removed a small section.. nope.....

[​IMG]
    Ok, that escalated quickly... as always with these things... oh well, at least I know what i'm doing tomorrow now.

Elliot

Last edited: 24 May 2021
  12. caprinerd

Drives:
    know this so well just a little job, yep think alot of us can relate to the "just a little job" and what pleasures lay beneath,
    Great work keep the updates coming really enjoy your work

13. Elliot

Pleasures !!! I can think of other words...lol

[​IMG]
    Tig'd in a little patch repair using the removed section as a pattern.

[​IMG]
    Clean up, chemical rust treatment, paint and weld prepping

[​IMG]
    Making up a new reinforcement, again using the old section as a pattern, also use the pattern to mark out all the hole positions for the welds and mountings. I did put the crush tube mounting holes in the press to make the mounting spigots, welding the tubes in place so it didnt move in the press, but no real reason to remove the welds so might as well leave them.

[​IMG]
    Thats that patched up.

[​IMG]
    Need to fix up this section of the battery tray area.

[​IMG]
    Unfortunately, I think I need to fix this too. Cant find a battery tray locally in Australia today, and with current shipping times, getting one from the UK will stall the restoration so I have a cunning plan, which Ill look into over the next couple of days.

Elliot

14. caprinerd

Drives:
    that reminds me i need to sort mine out, as mine looks worse that that and i can see day light through it, looks like another spending spree coming up unless your plan is something i might steal lol

15. Elliot

No, youre lucky, you can buy a new tray off the bay for 30 quid, not having the Mk3 sold here by Ford means that theres very little in the way of spares here.

caprinerd likes this.
  16. Elliot

Got up early today and set up my press and panel fixtures.

I already make the Australian Mk1 Capri battery trays, this is what they look like...
    [​IMG]
    Just fitted this one a few weeks ago to the brown capri. Obviously its very different to a Mk3 tray, but the width is identical and I already have a stack of blanks and the fixtures to make them so I pulled the fixtures apart this morning and removed everything apart from the main hole jig and the clamping screw area. So I pressed that into a blank and then took that to work and used the folder there and a little bit of hammering and welding later I came up with this...

[​IMG]
    I realise the centre profile is not the same as Mk3 but Ive made it dimensionally accurate. Still have to bend of the left hand end at an angle for the battery edge to lock into but I think it will work perfectly well.

[​IMG]
    Underside.

I'll hopefully get cracking with removing the old tray and welding this new one in over the weekend.

Elliot

my928s4 and Crash & Burn like this.
  17. caprinerd

Drives:
    i am liking that alot Elliot ive just ordered one in for Penny and thin its just time to fit it in, as im working on Phoebe (Members car) as well as Penny and my wifes cars

18. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
    Fantastic work, a great credit to you for going the extra mile, i'm sure it's much appreciated from the family and hope they will enjoy it

19. Elliot

Sounds like youve spread yourself too thin, lol.. Ive got more than 1 or 2 capri's on the go, actually I'm about to move one of the other projects to spend more time on it. Another Mk1 build, theres already been a huge amount of work ive done on it, Ill start a new thread when I get time, but its been epic... there will be a lot of pics.

20. Elliot

Thanks and yes I hope youre right

21. Elliot

[​IMG]
    Ive cut out the old rotten battery tray and the rusted inner wing area where it was joined to the tray.

[​IMG]
    Never the best idea to have sharp corners when welding in the middle of a panel but the reason I have done it on this occasion is so that I could copy the removed section more accurately. If Id rounded all the ocorners off, the removed section would have been cut out in a lot of smaller chunks and then not useable as a pattern. The copy secion is a few mm bigger than the pattern at this stage. I then held it in position and used a scriber to mark the exact shape then cut to that line.

[​IMG]
    Lots of small tacks and very little gaps means that I can do a fuse weld and put less heat into the panel as well as reducing the amount of harder filler rod.

[​IMG]
    Keeping a nice even heat soak is key. Once I start the weld, I go continuously without stopping. Once cooled, its all plannished out with a hammer and dolly.

[​IMG]
    Chemical rust treatment to everything and getting it all ready for some paint before welding in the tray.

[​IMG]
    New tray in, have thrown some paint over it just for shits and gigs really. Once the new wing is fitted, Ill get the painter to do this side of the engine bay at the same time and make it a litle more presentable. Ive also made a new reinforcement that goes on the other side of the inner wing but didnt take any photos.... will do next time im out there.

Elliot

Crash & Burn likes this.
  22. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    I can only imagine how much I'd be learning from these posts if I'd ever actually tried my hand at welding. It's still sorcery to me.
    But I can indeed imagine that. Watching this thread has gone beyond reading updates in a build thread. It's like getting a peek at the newsletter circulated among engineering staff at Elliot Motor Company. I keep thinking, if I read just one more, I could pass myself off as a welder at a cocktail party...:)

23. caprimk3

Drives:
    This is loads better than watching any of the tv "resto" shows.

24. Elliot

All the welders pick up the hot chicks at those parties so keep reading.... (in my dreams anyway)

25. Elliot

I have a subscription to motortrendondemand, roadkill is the only show that gets my money.

26. Elliot

[​IMG]
    Cleaning up, chemically rust treating and getting ready for some paint. The copper colour is weld through primer that I used when fitting that big section of reinforcement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Shes in good shape this car especially considering it was UK car up until 2008 ish when it was exported.

[​IMG]
    Primered and sealed. There is 2 5pence sized rust holes I still need to attend to but ive run out of time today and didnt want to leave all that bare metal exposed till the weekend. I also need to do some panelwork to fix up the weld distortion on the A post which you can just see on the left here. I dont really have access on the inside of the car with the entire interior fitted and knowing this car has rarely been apart internally is putting me off doing that so I will do what I can from the outside, it wont be 100% but its out of sight and the underseal will hide it anyway. I'm looking forward to using the Wurth underbody I bought for this. I have new engine bay stickers on the way as well as a new set of front end bushes and tca's. She gets the standard set of the wobbles on at motorway speeds so will replace all the usual suspects at the same time. I have a spare set of R33 front brake calipers from my V8 project laying around, wonder if I can do a simple make a bracket and upgrade to 4 pots... hmm... food for thought. Oh, and I want to replace the radiator hoses.. anyone know where I can get a set of standard non silicon ones other than burtons who arent showing stock ?

Elliot

27. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    yet another excellent update .. Great Works

28. 9 pence

9 pence Established Member Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri
  29. Elliot

30. caprinerd

Drives:
    i read through one of your other builds yesterday and still am in awe of your work

31. caprimk3

Drives:
    Same here. Bugger they will cancel any subscriptions outside North America in August...

32. Elliot

Yeah, got the email from them this week too. Not sure if we can still get it if we install a vpn, might be an option.

33. Elliot

Theres a big update well overdue for the brown car and an even bigger project that ive been doing for a few years to start uploading as that car is about to be moved to my shop this weekend to be completed.

34. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    just nice to see good clean superior engineering..
    More than happy to wait for any Update you got Elliot..

35. caprimk3

Drives:
    Not an option as as they pick up your bank detail from whom you got the card from.
    But Paypal may be an option..

36. Elliot

Hope it wasnt my V8 build.. would take hours to trawl through that start to finish...lol

37. Elliot

[​IMG]
    A post panelbeaten to an acceptible level. Couldnt access the area from the inside so I welded my slide hammer to the low spots and pulled it out bit by bit. Its not perfect but perfectly good enough. A post has also now been stripped back to bare steel, primed and sealed where needed. I also made up a new wing stabiliser bracket and welded that on which you can see here.

[​IMG]
    Using a product Ive never tried out before. Its a Wurth underbody rubberised protection paint. My experience with other Wurth products is they are usually top notch so fingers crossed this stuff is good too. I didnt go too nuts and thick at this stage, just enough to cover everything. Once the wing is back on the car, I'll seal up the joins and then redo the underbody again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The car has a wild shimmy under freeway speeds so have started going over the suspension bushes etc. The TCA's felt nice and tight but the rubber boots were rotted so just bought new arms complete. The 3/8 holes through the crossmember felt very slightly worn and oval so Ive drilled them out to 10mm. The new TCA inner sleeves felt loose around the original 3/8 bolts too so thats tightened that up all over and ive fitted high tensile M10 bolts instead. The outer TCA bushes never came with new metal sleeves either and the ones on the original TCA's were aftermarket and felt loose in the new TCA rubbers so I went through my stash of other bushes from other cars and found some suitable metal tubes which are a super tight fit into the rubber but about 1mm clearance fit onto the sway bar so I cut them longitudally and closed the diameter down to suit the bar then rewelded it and thats now tight both on the bar and in the new rubber so can tick that box. Am waiting on new sway bar to body bushes. Next I ll be attacking the repairs remaining on the wing itself.

Elliot

38. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Done exactly as I would have recommended. I think I can leave you to your own devices now. :) But Wurth should pay you for those pics.

39. Elliot

Be nice to be sponsored by Wurth wouldnt it... they make some great stuff.

[​IMG]
    I would not normally ever edge weld like this as its the wrong thing to do, however, and unfortunately the car isnt a 1960s Ferrari, so here and there I'll make the odd decision to make quicker productivity and get the job done. But if you know how to control the metal, you can get away with doing the wrong thing the right way.

[​IMG]
    The mounting rail has at some point either been cut off or completely rotted away...probably a bit of both.[​IMG]
    Making up a new repair section.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Welded in and test fit looks good on the car. Will make up a new headlight area reinforcement tomorrow.

Elliot

my928s4 likes this.
  40. Elliot

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Front wing headlight area reinforcement. Being an original wing it was really important for me to keep the authenticity of the reinforcement, its how you can tell if a wing is genuine or aftermarket so had to save this panel at all costs. The hole profile part was in perfect nick. The rest of the panel was disintigrated, so made up a new one and incorporated the original aperture part.

Elliot

41. biasmatty

biasmatty Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK 3, 1.6 Laser
    In regards to the inner wing, Did you just prime, seam seal and then use the Wurth rubberised paint as a top coat? Or did you have to top coat the primer first? Looks amazing so thinking of doing the same whilst I have the wings off mine.

Matt

42. Elliot

When I stripped all the original rubberised coating off I use a wire wheel brush in a grinder. Doing it that way makes it fairly easy to leave the original ford E coating in place. The primer I used is a waterproof industial type so I wasnt overly concerned about top coating it, however it certainly wouldnt hurt and if you're in the UK, probably wise. The Wurth underbody paint is reasonably priced, but the gun to spray it is expensive.

https://eshop.wuerth.de/Product-cat...-gun/14013006160802.cyid/1401.cgid/en/US/EUR/

I picked one up a year or two ago unused second hand from marketplace. The paint comes in a plastic container which goes inside the gun cartridge. When you press the trigger, air surrounds the paint container and crushes it forcing the contents out. You can buy a different type of suction gun for these products but not sure how well they would work.

Elliot

43. caprimk3

Drives:
    Top work mate!

44. Elliot

[​IMG]
    Time to repair the front section of the wing. I was expecting the rust to be a lot worse than what you can see but after removing all the paint and underseal, it hadnt gone any further than this.

[​IMG]
    Made up a repair section. It only looks like a simple piece this, but theres more going on than you first think. The fold on the right is curved as is the rolled edge on the left.

[​IMG]
    Keep massaging until it touches everywhere right around all the edges.

[​IMG]
    Bit more tweeking with the infill panel.
    [​IMG]
    Ready for some weld thru primer and fitting.

[​IMG]
    Infill panel and repair section welded in and a quick squirt of paint just for a visual check... sometimes hard to see whats going on in steel.

[​IMG]
    Fitting the light assembly and trim to check the gaps. Looks spot on to me.

[​IMG]
    Next week Ill look at the repair at the back of the wing. Its right where the closing panel is which is a pain and time consuming as Ill have to unpick that first or I wont be able to panel beat it afterwards.

Elliot

45. Elliot

Had a spare few hours today so decided to have a go at repairing one of the chassis outriggers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I wanted to try to repair the panel instead of removing it and fitting a new one. reason being, fitting a new one means removing the interior of the car for the welding and then destroying the originality of the floor and the bitumen layer and I didnt want to disturb all that so I put a cutting disk in a grinder and cut the bottom face all the way along and peeled it open, and literally hammered it all flat, found a flat piece of steel to use as a dolly and removed as much of the damage as I could. Actually didnt take that long and then I refolded the bottom face back up and ran a mig weld and ground it back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I call that a win. would have taken a lot longer to replace the panel with a new one.

kenny james and Crash & Burn like this.
  46. caprinerd

Drives:
    could this be the way forward i ask my self, dont know what shape mine are at present so will have a look and see if i can do this to mine as well

47. Elliot

I decided to show a bit more detail of how I fixed up the chassis outrigger when I did the other side.

[​IMG]
    The left hand side in pretty bad shape. Both fuel lines crushed. Lucky they are plastic and flexible otherwise that could have been a fire. Even so, when I removed the fuel lines, which was a nightmare as they were crushed tight in there, the fuel lines are damaged and need replacing.

[​IMG]
    Fuel lines removed and out the way.

[​IMG]
    Started off by cutting a slit all the way through the bottom plate and one across where it meets the chassis rail.

[​IMG]
    Get some pliers and peel it all open so I can get a dolly in there.

[​IMG]
    Hammer it all out at flat as possible. This was the best I could do, the metal is stretched a little.

[​IMG]
    Fold it back over and weld it back up again.

[​IMG]
    lick of primer just for now and replaced the fuel lines so I can move the car in and out of the shed. Anyone know where to get new fuel lines from ?

my928s4 likes this.
  48. Elliot

Back onto the front wing. Found a little rusted area where I could access with the closing panel fitted so unpicked the welds and removed it. Didnt reveal any more horrors once it was off so thats a win.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Have stripped all of the original underseal off to make sure there isnt anything else needing attention.

[​IMG]
    just this rust hole to fix up.

[​IMG]
    Cut the area out and welded in some new metal.

[​IMG]
    Made up a little jig to produce the hump for the bonnet rubber.

[​IMG]
    Test fitting the wing and checking all the gaps. The wing is literally only held on with 2 tek screws in the engine bay drip rail. No other clamps at all, which is how it should be, not under any stress or tension.

[​IMG]
    Have run my hands all over the panel to feel for damage. The sides feel good but the top part of the panel feels wavey and not right. It would only need a couple of mm of filler to fix it, but wont take much effort to fix it so it wont need any filler at all.

[​IMG]
    Engineers blue applied.

[​IMG]
    Running a body file loosely over the surface highlights all the low areas. Theres a large round area at the top of the pic which i'll bump up first with a flipper.

[​IMG]
    One done.. Working my way backwards, you can see two high areas with lows between them.

[​IMG]
    Using a flipper and some on dolly, off dolly, I raise the lows and drop the highs.

[​IMG]
    And thats good enough for paint I reckon. There is a strip of dark blue all along the right hand edge just before the edge, I couldnt fix that with the wing on the car, but its really minimal and bare in mind that when the wing is welded it will have a tendancy to roll the panel inwards and that will help lift that area up so I'll leave it as is.

I've epoxy primered the underside of the wing today. Hoping to weld her on this Friday.

Elliot

49. kenny james

kenny james Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    3.0 GXL
    Loving the attention to detail

Elliot likes this.
  50. Elliot

Ive had one of those 2 steps forwards, one step backwards kind of weeks. Ive began stripping the area in the engine bay around all the current work back to bare metal in preparation for painting and came across some well hidden rust in the strut top reinforcement. Not sure how I didnt see it before, but I dont like doing jobs twice, so it was a bit of a "do it now and get on with it kinda thing", so removed the reinforcement panel to then find the inevitable rust holes in the inner wing itself which I was quite surprised at as it look minty fresh from under the wing on the other side of the panel.

[​IMG]
    This picture was taken with the reinforcement removed and Ive also started cutting out the top of the strut top. You can see the metal was on its last legs and pretty fatigued... oh well, keep chopping.

[​IMG]
    The metal wasnt bad all over but in patches. But rather than make a jigsaw puzzle of repair sections, it will be quicker and a better job just to cut the whole lot out like this and make the repair section in one piece.

[​IMG]
    As luck would have it, I have a pair of inner wing sections from a non V6 that Nick sent me some years ago. Being non V6 means they didnt have the reinforcements that trap all the rust.

[​IMG]
    Its in pretty good shape. Ive just welded in a new section for the left quarter as you can make out as it had a little bit of rust starting to show.

[​IMG]
    Tacking the new section in place.
    [​IMG]
    Welded and panel beaten to release the welds.

[​IMG]

Thats all for this week. I already have a new reinforcement ready to go on which ive picked off of one of my N.O.S inner wings. Should get that on over the weekend and then back to paint prep again..